QB decision making. - PFF

46 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

yea decision making and making a good throw i dont think are connected. i havent read the million pages of article yet

Well, wasn’t he knocked for taking off and running before going thru his progressions? He made a quick decision to run…but not have been the best decision.

…I guess it depends upon what they are measuring.  :shrug: 

15 minutes ago, Cricket said:

It's PFF man, they start with a premise that'll make a good headline and then go find numbers to back it up.  It's the fuzziest of math.

On 7/6/2022 at 5:48 PM, Cricket said:

Well, wasn’t he knocked for taking off and running before going thru his progressions? He made a quick decision to run…but not have been the best decision.

it seems its as simple as did they throw to the right read during progressions. with a sprinkle of did they force a late throw to the right progression

On 7/6/2022 at 6:05 PM, T-Dub said:

It's PFF man, they start with a premise that'll make a good headline and then go find numbers to back it up.  It's the fuzziest of math.

lol, some things they do for fun, like the amazon AWS stats that show how fast a WR ran X feet ona play..

but pff is always trying to find something new to build on. they just dont always have a flawless execution first time out.

look at the NFL and their QBR. i cant imagine why this still exists. it couldnt be less useful, a behind th eline screen pass where a defender falls down and the RB runs for 80 yards and a TD is counted the EXACT same as a 60 yard DIME between two defenders  for a TD 20 yards later. which is bananas

Then ESPN tried to fix that state and made total QBR, which took into account yards in the air, YAC, etc 

then PFF took it even further and factors the down and distance of the throw, time of game, a comeback drive, etc to add a slight bonus for making boss throws at high tension times of games, etc as a first quarter pass over the middle on first down isnt facing the same coverages and "game on the line" play as a 4th qtr, 4th and 20 yard pass over the middle into obvious pass coverage, etc. so i think the useful data between PFF and ESPN qb ratings is a sweet spot

but i can see this QB decision making being added to QBR later, like compare joe burrows INT vs green bay over the middle, then look at stafford INT to cheeto over the middle.

on paper and in QBR they are equal, but joes INT was terrible confusion and no WR around. just a bad play. Stafford thats likely the right read, the MVP wr is open across middle and gets a hand on it and it pops into cheetos hand.

those deserve to be ranked differently as knocks on the QB, ya know?

PFF isnt perfect but they have done so much for creating useful realistic data for fans and analysts its banans. sometimes they just make stupid stats for fun, no doubt.

16 hours ago, GoBengals said:

PFF isnt perfect but they have done so much for creating useful realistic data for fans and analysts its banans. sometimes they just make stupid stats for fun, no doubt.

Eh, my theory is they looked at Football Outsiders and decided to copy the format without doing any of the actual work.  "This guy is rated 88.725 because reasons!"   It's pseudoscience with about as much factual basis as rankings in Madden.  What they did very well is give sports media easily digestible numbers to reference & replace bad stats like QBR, but also without the need to deep dive for more accurate numbers.  They realized most fans don't really care where the numbers came from. ESPN hack can simply say "PFF gave guy-everyone-likes a 90 point fuckety-two!" and keep things moving.  Kudos to them for halfassedly throwing shit at the wall and having it stick, now everyone quotes them like it's gospel when it may as well be numbers out of a hat or Facebook likes.

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Eh, my theory is they looked at Football Outsiders and decided to copy the format without doing any of the actual work.  "This guy is rated 88.725 because reasons!"   It's pseudoscience with about as much factual basis as rankings in Madden.  What they did very well is give sports media easily digestible numbers to reference & replace bad stats like QBR, but also without the need to deep dive for more accurate numbers.  They realized most fans don't really care where the numbers came from. ESPN hack can simply say "PFF gave guy-everyone-likes a 90 point fuckety-two!" and keep things moving.  Kudos to them for halfassedly throwing shit at the wall and having it stick, now everyone quotes them like it's gospel when it may as well be numbers out of a hat or Facebook likes.

well. Kind of. People put a lot of credit to someone doing something first. Like Apple. Apple doesn’t do anything first ever. They sit back in the cut. Watch tech hit the market. See it’s failures, see what people like and hate. And a year later do it better for the masses wants and needs. 

football outsiders was doing deep stats years before. But off took that model. Tossed cash behind it. Started raping us all on price (see:apple) and everyone from dumbasses like me and nfl staff use this data. 

nothing about them is perfect. But they are the only option that’s as user friendly and widely accessible. 

im not sure what you mean by not backing up their rankings and ratings. Maybe it’s just because it’s behind the paywall. But every equation is explained in detail along with each stat used to get there. You can agree or disagree from there but there is no secret to it. While madden does low rating for internet outrage hype. Everything is for entertainment. Pointless. IMO 

Archived