Position by Position - better or worse than 2022?

I was having some discussings in some NFL groups, people seemed to think the bengals were gonna get some "humble pie" this coming year, and it seems the bates coverage has people thinking key players are or were lost. So i have been breaking down the team kinda often, so i figured id do it clean here and see what people think.

OFFENSE: 

LT - Same, Could argue better due to improvement near him but ill say same.

LG - Toughest one, I say Same - I think an experience medium talent guy like spain replaced with a high talent young guy are equal

C - Improved - Should be a clear improvement in talent and winning experience

RG - Improved - should be a clear improvement

RT - Improved - a lot. 

QB - Improved - i feel a year wiser, more defenses seen, healthy, not off surgery. 

RB - Improved - just based on the line really 

WR1 - Same - id love to say improved not being a rookie but shit its hard to top that.

WR2 - Same - healthier, but I assume a similar output.

WR3 - Same - same

TE - Same - Another tough one, I think the talent improved but the leadership personality and spirit of CJ will be missed.

DEFENSE

DE's - Same - no changes so i expect about the same.

DTs - Same one change but seems similar talent an playes int he spot and did well. 

LB1- wilson - Improved, 3rd year and healthy going into season.

LB2 - Pratt - Same

LB3 - Davis Gaither - looking for improvement, healthy and another year wiser.

CB1 - Awuzie - Same

CB2 - Apple/Rookie - im going with same, i dont expect much from apple but also rookie wouldnt be much improvement first year

FS - bates, i assume he signs the tender and its same, he played ok early and great at the end, 

SS - Bell - improved, im just tossing hill into reps in this position, so bell plus new guy = better.

where am i wrong or am i missing any changes?

thoguhts?

32 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

I was having some discussings in some NFL groups, people seemed to think the bengals were gonna get some "humble pie" this coming year, and it seems the bates coverage has people thinking key players are or were lost. So i have been breaking down the team kinda often, so i figured id do it clean here and see what people think.

OFFENSE: 

LT - Same, Could argue better due to improvement near him but ill say same.

LG - Toughest one, I say Same - I think an experience medium talent guy like spain replaced with a high talent young guy are equal

C - Improved - Should be a clear improvement in talent and winning experience

RG - Improved - should be a clear improvement

RT - Improved - a lot. 

QB - Improved - i feel a year wiser, more defenses seen, healthy, not off surgery. 

RB - Improved - just based on the line really 

WR1 - Same - id love to say improved not being a rookie but shit its hard to top that.

WR2 - Same - healthier, but I assume a similar output.

WR3 - Same - same

TE - Same - Another tough one, I think the talent improved but the leadership personality and spirit of CJ will be missed.

DEFENSE

DE's - Same - no changes so i expect about the same.

DTs - Same one change but seems similar talent an playes int he spot and did well. 

LB1- wilson - Improved, 3rd year and healthy going into season.

LB2 - Pratt - Same

LB3 - Davis Gaither - looking for improvement, healthy and another year wiser.

CB1 - Awuzie - Same

CB2 - Apple/Rookie - im going with same, i dont expect much from apple but also rookie wouldnt be much improvement first year

FS - bates, i assume he signs the tender and its same, he played ok early and great at the end, 

SS - Bell - improved, im just tossing hill into reps in this position, so bell plus new guy = better.

where am i wrong or am i missing any changes?

thoguhts?

Nice.  Ossai may push the DEs into the “improved” category.

I think FS will be worse because I have a feeling Bates comes in with an attitude and/or misses training camp. The rest would be, as was said in the movie JFK, "Pickin' gnat shit outta pepper".

I also suspect DE is an upgrade - I just am thinking that one of Hubert, Gunter or the UDFA Tisdale is gonna be really good and force their way into the rotation behind Ossai and Kareem. And Kareem flashed good talent plenty last year too. 

My biggest fear is the dreaded Sophomore Slump.  Chase is a true second year player and it will be Burrow's 2nd complete year.

Remember the Bengals were a 10-7 team and were 5-4 after 9 games getting smoked by the Browns in game 9.

There is going to be a lot more fresh tape on these players and also the team.  Defensive plans against the Bengals will be different.  How the Bengals respond is just as important as who they respond with.

I think DT is slightly worse due to the absence of Ogunjobi. The health of BJ Hill becomes very important this season as a result. I'm hoping that Ossai mightpush Hubbard or Sample inside in passing situations to help with the interior rush.

6 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

From what I have read about Hurst is that CJ is a better blocker but Hurst is a better pass catcher.

Could be a wash, but him not being as good of a blocker as CJ limits the plays we can call for him.

Not sure about the TE position either.  CJ didn't have crazy numbers but he was clutch, gonna need to see Hurst show up on 3rd downs before I call them equal.

55 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Not sure about the TE position either.  CJ didn't have crazy numbers but he was clutch, gonna need to see Hurst show up on 3rd downs before I call them equal.

That's fair. But Hurst is faster than CJ and has only been credited with 3 drops in 4 years. So he catches the ball when it gets thrown his way. The reason he has gotten so few catch opportunities is because of Mark Andrews with Baltimore and last year with Kyle Pitts at Atlanta.

9 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

From what I have read about Hurst is that CJ is a better blocker but Hurst is a better pass catcher.

Could be a wash, but him not being as good of a blocker as CJ limits the plays we can call for him.

makes sense, i keep going back and forth what i expect from hurst, i know he is a more talented player, but like basketball with 4 superstars, there is only one ball, whose giving up the yards for him to go off? if teams sell out to cover chase, hurst could be special

9 hours ago, membengal said:

I also suspect DE is an upgrade - I just am thinking that one of Hubert, Gunter or the UDFA Tisdale is gonna be really good and force their way into the rotation behind Ossai and Kareem. And Kareem flashed good talent plenty last year too. 

i dont disagree with any of that, i just dont know enough and have seen nothing so far this year pre camp, so i didnt have much opinion on the possibilities, talent was added for sure.

5 hours ago, A Rock said:

I think Hurst is the sleeper this year. He's a rock solid pass catcher who's biggest downside, as far as I can tell, was ending up on teams with Mark Andrews and Kyle Pitts.

as i mentioned a few lines up, i agree here, but he's still my ideal 4th target, but this isnt madden and my favorite target is who is open... which just might be hurst.

5 hours ago, westside bengal said:

My biggest fear is the dreaded Sophomore Slump.  Chase is a true second year player and it will be Burrow's 2nd complete year.

Remember the Bengals were a 10-7 team and were 5-4 after 9 games getting smoked by the Browns in game 9.

There is going to be a lot more fresh tape on these players and also the team.  Defensive plans against the Bengals will be different.  How the Bengals respond is just as important as who they respond with.

i just tried to find this article, tho it may have been a podcast, but it more or less disproves the sophmore slump, the sophmore slump they said was basically teams got a full year of film on a guy and his tendencies, and the next year focused on attacking weaknesses, i think Joe already had this again the bears and the browns and chargers, which lines up with about a years worth og game film on him from the two seasons combined. it has nothing to do with the actual years or years played, just teams having enough film to prep properly, may be wishful thinking, but it seemed like he worked through it and hit his stride to finish the year after those hiccups

5 hours ago, dex said:

I think DT is slightly worse due to the absence of Ogunjobi. The health of BJ Hill becomes very important this season as a result. I'm hoping that Ossai mightpush Hubbard or Sample inside in passing situations to help with the interior rush.

i definetly didnt consider MUCH depth as a factor, i think ogunjobi and hill are close in talent, but larry had hill behind and thats gone, so the position group is weaker probably, but starters, and assuming health, not much difference IMO

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

my thought was with hurt we may not see the third down as often that we NEEDED a clutch play from CJ, kinda like the oline and media saying we had so much fall in line for us, no, we sucked and badass dudes made badass plays when they could, we arent going to NEED to come back from being behind twice against KC, we can just beat KC, we can stop THIER comback, we wouldnt need to race back against the chargers and fall short, we wont need the miracles that everyone is saying we wont get, sorry that got offtopic, but same theory applies FOR ME, to the TE, hurst will be better talent thus we wont need CJ heroics with better talent and better line. is my hope.

In response to your "Toughest One",...

So last season, currently unsigned, future HOF Jason Peters ranked 22nd by PFF among all Tackles in the NFL, while missing only 2 games.

Peters has recently stated that he's staying in shape, would be willing to Start or mentor to younger players, and is ready to give it a go for another season.

https://twitter.com/SiriusXMNFL/stat...98271337603072

So, here's a guy willing to do anything that just screams LG for the Bengals. Whoever is supposed to play LG can certainly prove they belong over him, but that's highly unlikely to happen. We already have one of our three Free Agent signings coming off of an injury. Rather than waiting for another injury to occur, why not sign Peters now and have him here for the entire training camp?

Are the Bengals right now not ready to go all-in to win a Super Bowl?

How would signing Peters be any different than the RAMS signing Von Miller?

Seems like a no-brainer.

Instead of having someone like Bates whining because he's not getting offered an amount of cash that would imbalance to future contracts of Burrow, Higgins, Chase, etc., why not use a small portion of that contract ($12M) and give it to Peters. Pretty certain Peters would come here for the Vet minimum in order to play on this O-Line for our O-Line Coach and this tremendous Offense and Defense.

I didn't look it up, but I'm not sure that our current LT was even the 22nd best Tackle overall in the NFL last season. If he was, then he was pretty much right around that mark, so we'd be adding a LG to play alongside our current LT who will probably be just as good as our LT next season.

Archived