PBS naming rights

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

OK sure, let's all pretend this is a cool new development and not 100% avaricious corporate whoring

Paul Brown and Paycor, 2 great innovators in their fields, what a terrific match!

AM7bdUQ.gif

It’s the nature of the “new NFL”. Pull more and more filthy lucre into the account. But, you know…

image.jpeg.bbe53b9ebf15cd1d7210c00cd8924e5e.jpeg

Kinda lame. 

16 years is so long. Feels

like joe is getting a 10 year off soon. 

I was wrong for sure. Thought no chance they took his name off. Bummer. 

lastly the payJoe t shirts and images are lame As fuck. We have made the last two starting qbs highest paid and top 3 paid there was never really a question of paying joe. Bengals always pay their own fairly and stick to deals. 

the cheap bengals bashing is based on 2001 eta bullshit about small towels and shit like that. Everyone bagged on about free agents. Which is also silly because they’ve had to overpay for free agents. They just chose better teams or cities. They weren’t low balled. 

lazy media and shit fans have made being a bengals fan worse than it should have been. 

but I’m rambling. 

8 hours ago, GoBengals said:

Kinda lame. 

16 years is so long.

Not being in board rooms or anything, speculation is about all those outside have as to the totality of what this all entails. 

You are right: Why is this corporate sellout “all about Joe”? I thought sending Bates away was “all about Joe”? Cutting this guy/that guy was “all about Joe”? 

There is something else…likely considerably more than “all about Joe”. 

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Not being in board rooms or anything, speculation is about all those outside have as to the totality of what this all entails. 

You are right: Why is this corporate sellout “all about Joe”? I thought sending Bates away was “all about Joe”? Cutting this guy/that guy was “all about Joe”? 

There is something else…likely considerably more than “all about Joe”. 

I don't think it is just all about Joe. It's also about Tee, it's about Ja'Marr, it's about Chido, etc. Retaining Joe would keep the Bengals competitive. But keeping the core of the team together is how you keep your championship window open. As long as the organization uses the additional revenue to re-invest in the roster, then they can do all the corporate whoring they want as far as I'm concerned. I believe Mike Brown when he says he wants to win championships. Before Joe I think the goal was primarily to be competitive every year, and maybe just have a magical season one year when everything went just right. But then they stumbled into Joe and that changed the whole organizational mindset.

Look at Buffalo. They probably have the best roster in the league. Like the Bengals Buffalo also has a franchise QB, but they also have the resources to retain their own impact free agents as well as go out and bring in free agents from other organizations to make themselves a championship contender every year. Josh Allen alone isn't nearly enough. by himself to do that...and neither is Joe Burrow.

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I thought sending Bates away was “all about Joe”?

How in the hell have the Bengals sent away Jesse Bates? Last I checked all he has to do is show up and sign his contract… which, oh by the way, just so happens to make him one of the five highest paid safeties in the league. 

10 minutes ago, spicoli said:

How in the hell have the Bengals sent away Jesse Bates? Last I checked all he has to do is show up and sign his contract… which, oh by the way, just so happens to make him one of the five highest paid safeties in the league. 

Guaranteed money, guaranteed money, guaranteed money. That is what Jessie's agent wanted the most for his client, and what the Bengals always offer the least in NFL extension contract talks. And not so coincidentally, guaranteed money that is in line with the rest of the NFL will be what the agents for Joe and Tee and Logan will be trying to get for their clients next offseason. And if they don't think it is at least close to the current NFL norm, my guess is those players will not sign extensions.

But just like Pittsburgh has begun to do to retain their core players, I'm hoping that the Bengals will soon start to do the same to extend their own impact players. Katie Blackburn seems pretty smart to me, and surely she can see the writing on the wall. All you have to do is look at the current trends going on with the rest of the league.

58 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Future tense. 

46 minutes ago, dex said:

Guaranteed money, guaranteed money, guaranteed money. That is what Jessie's agent wanted the most for his client, and what the Bengals always offer the least in NFL extension contract talks. And not so coincidentally, guaranteed money that is in line with the rest of the NFL will be what the agents for Joe and Tee and Logan will be trying to get for their clients next offseason. And if they don't think it is at least close to the current NFL norm, my guess is those players will not sign extensions

Yeah none of which = the Bengals “sending him away” ….just sayin. 

1 hour ago, dex said:

I don't think it is just all about Joe. It's also about Tee, it's about Ja'Marr, it's about Chido, etc. Retaining Joe would keep the Bengals competitive. But keeping the core of the team together is how you keep your championship window open. As long as the organization uses the additional revenue to re-invest in the roster, then they can do all the corporate whoring they want as far as I'm concerned. I believe Mike Brown when he says he wants to win championships. Before Joe I think the goal was primarily to be competitive every year, and maybe just have a magical season one year when everything went just right. But then they stumbled into Joe and that changed the whole organizational mindset.

All valid points. And likely some of the thought process was in consideration of these points. 

My point--and echoing Go's--was that 16 years is a long time...and well past the careers of these players, even if the total intent of the deal was for them. The business acumen side of me has suspicion that this could be bankrolling for other items which the Browns do not wish to subtract from the bottom line: e.g. stadium repairs the county cannot or will not pay for, all of the cool newest lighting/scoreboards/renovation upgrades/etc. that sort of thing. Paycor may be offsetting those costs, in part, with their purchase. 

2 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I think it has a lot more to do with the position he plays rather than how much Joe Burrow is going to get paid….but hey, maybe that’s just me. 

I guess the next question would then be: what the hell would stadium naming rights money have to do with future signings of any players? 

2 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

I guess the next question would then be: what the hell would stadium naming rights money have to do with future signings of any players? 

It has to do with stadium upgrades and giving the players one of the best places to play as I understand it.

51 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

I think that it had to do with the NFL rule that a certain percentage of GUARANTEED money in contracts HAS to be set aside.  

Kinda obvious, isn’t it?  :shrug: 

21 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

IMG_20220809_142815.jpg

We all may soon be able to refer to the stadium as PBS…

Paycor Bankruptcy Stadium

“Hey, we lost $97 million, let’s pay for naming rights to Paul Brown Stadium.  That’ll fix everything.”

😒

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Well since they can use that money however they see fit, you tell me.

Archived