PBS naming rights

13 hours ago, GoBengals said:

Kinda lame. 

16 years is so long. Feels

like joe is getting a 10 year off soon. 

I was wrong for sure. Thought no chance they took his name off. Bummer. 

lastly the payJoe t shirts and images are lame As fuck. We have made the last two starting qbs highest paid and top 3 paid there was never really a question of paying joe. Bengals always pay their own fairly and stick to deals. 

the cheap bengals bashing is based on 2001 eta bullshit about small towels and shit like that. Everyone bagged on about free agents. Which is also silly because they’ve had to overpay for free agents. They just chose better teams or cities. They weren’t low balled. 

lazy media and shit fans have made being a bengals fan worse than it should have been. 

but I’m rambling. 

One issue to keep in mind is a guaranteed contract has to have an escrow account that is fully funded past the first year of the contract. 

That used to not be a big deal but with this stupid Watson contract which will certainly push more agents to demand more of the money be guaranteed , we are now talking about BIG numbers. 

“That did not happen. But we may have hit a turning point with the Cleveland Browns and Deshaun Watson. For years, clubs have told agents that a main reason for not guaranteeing contracts was the “funding rule” – an archaic league rule that says teams must put into escrow an amount of money equal to what they are guaranteeing a player in any contract beyond the first year.”

That means Cleveland has to put almost $200 mil into an escrow account. 

49 minutes ago, Cricket said:

We all may soon be able to refer to the stadium as PBS…

Paycor Bankruptcy Stadium

“Hey, we lost $97 million, let’s pay for naming rights to Paul Brown Stadium.  That’ll fix everything.”

😒

On revenues of 351, I think they are safe. 

Whole market is down right now in anticipation of a recession but it's weird because expected Job growth in the last report doubled what they thought it would be. Inflation is still hurting everyone but unless we start seeing job cuts that wont be fixed by anything the Fed is doing IMHO, we still have supply chain problems and just repatriating the supply so that we arent dependent on countries that have the goods we need isnt a quick answer, nor even one that is something investors are willing to do because of the uncertainty

I have so many thoughts on the current situation but this will end up in the J&D thread if I express them.

1 hour ago, Cricket said:

We all may soon be able to refer to the stadium as PBS…

Paycor Bankruptcy Stadium

“Hey, we lost $97 million, let’s pay for naming rights to Paul Brown Stadium.  That’ll fix everything.”

😒

Hardly matters to the Bengals, they can resell the naming rights to the next company.. & the one after that, indefinitely.

22 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

1. I hate corporate sponsorships of stadiums with a passion. And I will personally never use any sponsor name if a historical name exists. 

2. But I understand why the Bengals had to do this to cover the guaranteed bonuses of Burrow, Higgins, and Chase. Pay our core! 

3. If you gave me the options of keeping the Paul Brown name but losing Burrow or Higgins as a result, I wouldn't take it.

4. The name could have been worse. The Squeelers got Acrisure, which sounds like a hemorrhoid cream. Paycor at least rolls off the tongue and has its HQ in Cincy. Though I would have preferred P&G. 

5. The team should at least build a statue of Paul Brown outside the stadium to soften the blow. 

6. A 16 year lease means the team can't relocate during that time I'd imagine. So that's a plus.

7. It will always be Paul Brown Stadium to me. 

Bengals can't relocate. Threats to do so would be meaningless so you haven't heard any from Mike Brown since PBS was built. The Modell law would require them to put the team up for sale before they could move. They won't do that. 

When you lose $97M with revenue of only $357M that is one nasty ratio.  You need an image enhancement and who better locally to attach your image to than the Bengals right now.  Sounds like a pretty smart move to enhance employee retention.

11 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I guess the next question would then be: what the hell would stadium naming rights money have to do with future signings of any players? 

unless someone has already mentioned it.

all guaranteed money must be put in escrow for all contracts, and with what the browns just did, teams are freaking out, so this deal may be 16 years 10 mil a year for example they may have got half of the deal upfront, 80mil to use in escrow to fund guaranteed money for contracts.

so unless the team had like 400 mil they want to just slap in escrow, then this is how they fund those deals.

6 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

PBSB - Paul Brown Sports Bar. Buy a bar get those letters ASAP

Great idea except I'm sure Mike & fam would have to sign off on it & they just set a price for his name.  So unless said bar has Paycor money....

Would be pretty cool though, no question.

7 hours ago, GoBengals said:

all guaranteed money must be put in escrow for all contracts, and with what the browns just did, teams are freaking out, so this deal may be 16 years 10 mil a year for example they may have got half of the deal upfront, 80mil to use in escrow to fund guaranteed money for contracts.

so unless the team had like 400 mil they want to just slap in escrow, then this is how they fund those deals.

This would make sense. There are other follow up questions (and again, understanding we aren’t privy to the board room), but will wait and read data which may be parceled out. 

18 hours ago, GoBengals said:

The Brown family doesn't need to sell the naming rights to fund new contracts for Burrow and other players. Suppose they guarantee 200 mil in future years to Burrow. They could easily get a line of credit to fund that (and probably already have such in place). The NFL has large revenue streams so they aren't really a credit risk, it's just a matter of paying a little interest, likely 4-5% or so. 

48 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

The Brown family doesn't need to sell the naming rights to fund new contracts for Burrow and other players. Suppose they guarantee 200 mil in future years to Burrow. They could easily get a line of credit to fund that (and probably already have such in place). The NFL has large revenue streams so they aren't really a credit risk, it's just a matter of paying a little interest, likely 4-5% or so. 

I believe I mentioned it earlier but I think the monies from the naming rights are earmarked for the interest on loans needed for the upcoming guarantees; so the team will be cash flow neutral.

On 8/11/2022 at 3:20 PM, sparky151 said:

i mean.... if i ahve the option to pay interest on like 200-400 mil and NOT pay interest on 200-400 mil... im going with the latter.

they def have the capital to get funding, hell they may have the cash for all i know, but having a company hand you a check is a pretty attractive option.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2022 at 8:11 PM, GoBengals said:

i mean.... if i ahve the option to pay interest on like 200-400 mil and NOT pay interest on 200-400 mil... im going with the latter.

they def have the capital to get funding, hell they may have the cash for all i know, but having a company hand you a check is a pretty attractive option.

Even better, the option to pay interest  on $200-400 mil or EARN interest on $200-400mil. Even at around 3% that 2 year treasuries are currently earning you are talking a difference of $12-24 million a year saved. 

7 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Everybody is joining in:

Ohio State announces ‘Safelite Field’ at Ohio Stadium

https://www.nbc4i.com/sports/buckeyes/ohio-state-announces-safelite-field-at-ohio-stadium/amp/

(OT: my great-uncle played in the first game at that building) 

Boy, THE Ohio State cup runneth over.

On 8/28/2022 at 6:06 AM, Le Tigre said:

Everybody is joining in:

Ohio State announces ‘Safelite Field’ at Ohio Stadium

https://www.nbc4i.com/sports/buckeyes/ohio-state-announces-safelite-field-at-ohio-stadium/amp/

(OT: my great-uncle played in the first game at that building) 

"Safelite repair, Safelite replace"

Anyone else have that dumb jingle stuck in their head now?

Archived