PBS naming rights

Technically, part of the name for where THE plays basketball is called “Value City Arena”, but very few refer it that way—always “Schottenstein Center” or “the Schott”.

I seriously doubt we will hear the football stadium referred to as “Safelite Field” very much either 

12 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Technically, part of the name for where THE plays basketball is called “Value City Arena”, but very few refer it that way—always “Schottenstein Center” or “the Schott”.

I seriously doubt we will hear the football stadium referred to as “Safelite Field” very much either 

There's an idea.  Maybe we can name the stadium Rink's Bargain City Stadium.

Bargain City owner, Hy Ullner (aka The Bargain City kid of Big Time Wrestling commercial fame) was an original rather large investor and instrumental in working with Paul Brown to get the Bengals here. (I worked at Rink's as a lad and Hy was mean as a snake).

I do believe Hy also had a number of investments in Newport back in the day that were off the books and quite profitable. 

Er, you guys do know that naming rights are usually not paid up front as a lump sum, right? Paycor will pay up front for the cost of the signage and probably pay annually for the naming rights. If the company goes under, the Bengals will be a creditor but able to resell the naming rights if Paycor defaults. There have been lots of examples of companies with naming rights going broke and defaulting. 

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I remember all the controversy over that too.

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Bargain City owner, Hy Ullner (aka The Bargain City kid of Big Time Wrestling commercial fame) was an original rather large investor and instrumental in working with Paul Brown to get the Bengals here. (I worked at Rink's as a lad and Hy was mean as a snake).

I do believe Hy also had a number of investments in Newport back in the day that were off the books and quite profitable. 

There was a Rinks not too far from us. One of our responsibilities when we got our driver’s license was to chauffeur my mom around because she didn’t drive. So while she was doing her shopping at Kroger, I would have to do the Rinks portion of the shopping and then pick her up.

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Er, you guys do know that naming rights are usually not paid up front as a lump sum, right? Paycor will pay up front for the cost of the signage and probably pay annually for the naming rights. If the company goes under, the Bengals will be a creditor but able to resell the naming rights if Paycor defaults. There have been lots of examples of companies with naming rights going broke and defaulting. 

well, sure, typically thats the case, and we have no reason to think its atypical deal, but if its 10mil a year for a random number, and we dont need to escrow that for joe or jamarr guaranteed deal money for 1-3(joe-jamarr) years then we could have an extra 30-40 mil (depending on payment schedule) in escrow for said deal.

or it just offsets some other expense to make them feel better about escrowing the cash. 

either way with looming dumptruck of cash in escrow needs its either getting the loan or stacking it from deals like this, they also named each gate with a sponsor, etc, surprised parking lots arent named, or does central parking own those still?

they can brand every urinal for all i care. (fun fact, in over 100 bengals home games i have never even entered the restrooms at BS, ever).

14 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Hell no. If we are going that route it should be named “The Ole Country Boy” stadium after Kash Amburgy.  “Save Kash with Kash!” Wait for it.  

https://tinyurl.com/Kash-Amburgy

10 hours ago, Shebengal said:

I remember all the controversy over that too.

I now have remembered that even the name “Schottenstein Center” was a corporation. I believe that Value City was one of their affiliates. 

No one ever did buy naming rights to St. John Arena at least. 

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I now have remembered that even the name “Schottenstein Center” was a corporation. I believe that Value City was one of their affiliates. 

I have a few good names for St John’s: 

“Vertigo Arena” , “Skinny Person Arena”, “Fear of Heights Arena” “Don’t Trip or You Will Die Arena”

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

It was. There were Schottenstein's stores here in Columbus. I loved Schottenstein's. :(

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

Hell no. If we are going that route it should be named “The Ole Country Boy” stadium after Kash Amburgy.  “Save Kash with Kash!” Wait for it.  

https://tinyurl.com/Kash-Amburgy

Maybe they can name the new practice bubble  the "Big Bargain Barn" (but then they would need to move it to Lebanon) :steelerssuck:

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

I have a few good names for St John’s: 

“Vertigo Arena” , “Skinny Person Arena”, “Fear of Heights Arena” “Don’t Trip or You Will Die Arena”

Lol! Perfect monikers! 

Even as a younger person, those upper levels tested one’s mountain goat instincts. 

Fortunately, more often than not, I was on the lower levels for B-ball, and always on floor for concerts (although there were plenty of flying things coming from the upper regions) 

8 hours ago, MOC said:

Maybe they can name the new practice bubble  the "Big Bargain Barn" (but then they would need to move it to Lebanon) :steelerssuck:

Don’t you mean “South Lebanon” son?  I can still see Mary Lou Amburgy on the 42” riding mower at 6am on Sunday morning commercials as I was getting ready to deliver the Dayton Daily News as a kid.   

I actually met the Amburgys on a few occasions and they were great people. 

14 hours ago, SF2 said:

Don’t you mean “South Lebanon” son?  I can still see Mary Lou Amburgy on the 42” riding mower at 6am on Sunday morning commercials as I was getting ready to deliver the Dayton Daily News as a kid.   

I actually met the Amburgys on a few occasions and they were great people. 

Yep, my bad (and now I can't get that out of my head). I met Kash a few times back in the day when I was in promotions for United Artist Records as he was a local celebrity that got invited to some of our artist gigs and you're right, good dude :049:

On 9/1/2022 at 2:26 PM, BengalBuck said:

That is going to look awful.

Those are like 20x the size of the PBS letters too..  God forbid they do something tasteful and relatively unobtrusive.. Nope, gotta roll it up and slap us in the face with it. 

Like WTF do they think is going to happen, 60k people leave Sunday evening and go buy a.. I don't even know, payroll service? I accept that corporate-name-stadium was probably inevitable but why is their branding so much more prominent than anything to do with the team.

Ladies and gentlemen, YOUR 2022 Cincinnati Paycors! 

So true. We finally have ownership working hard to keep up with bigger markets and deeper pockets. If they had done this a year earlier, maybe they would've been able to offer Bates the kind of guaranteed money he would be able to get on an extension almost anywhere else. I'm glad ownership realizes what a rare opportunity they have been given and are doing whatever they can to compete in an ever-changing NFL marketplace.

3 hours ago, membengal said:

jesus christ, who gives a shit. does it help burrow stay here? fine. Seriously, you all will fucking complain about anything they do. 

seriously 

all these years people complained that we didnt sell naming rights so we could compete with other teams, now we do and they're still not happy

5 hours ago, membengal said:

jesus christ, who gives a shit. does it help burrow stay here? fine. Seriously, you all will fucking complain about anything they do. 

Daddy chill..  That shit's objectively ugly af and 50 feet tall.   I accept that it needed to happen I just wish it wasn't so obnoxious

Archived