PBS naming rights

My experiences in the last 10 years or so haven't even been wearing the opposing teams colors.  Not even Bengals games.  Mainly Panthers games.  Just people drunk out of their minds screaming mindless crap, spilling beer, and getting into fights.  I can't imagine wearing opposing colors. 

My sister and I went up to the Cleveland game in 1988, wearing our Bengals gear. I was advised by a kindly hat vendor that we may want to take our hats off before entering the stadium. We both told him we would take our chances.

I've never had any issues in Cleveland, but usually I'm accompanied by hubby dearest and the son. 

57 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

One of the many keys to enjoying a roadie, is either sporting highly demurred colors, or none at all. I have had my share of foreign stadium abuse, and in my younger days of being more pugilistic, is better for one's overall safety. Any more, when I do travel, it is basically incognito unless in a large group.  

I do recall once in Detroit (1986) when I did sport a jersey. The Bengals won on a last minute catch by Collinsworth/1-yard dive by Kinnebrew. Never saying a word, my ex-wife and I were accosted by a half-dozen Lion "fans" at the end of the aisle exit. One behemoth (he was really BIG) got in my face screaming every epithet but what day it was. I was thinking "do I go low, or go for the throat?". My ex--all 110 pounds of her--jumps in between and points straight into his face "You're not a very good sport!". Dude didn't know what to say, and his buddies were laughing so hard and saying "guess she told you!", the whole incident evaporated. 

My experience in Detroit was a lot different then yours. Brother and I went to the game in 2005 at Ford Field. Parked in a small parking lot next to a small, what appeared to be a several story apartment building and there were Lions fans tailgating. The guy that was collecting parking fees ran out of the building to get our money. We didn't know if he was the official guy or not but we gave him the money and moved on. Walked a couple blocks, noticing numerous burned out cars on side streets and were making our way to Greektown to meet a friend for a few beers and then go to the stadium from there. We were both wearing Bengals jersey, Bengals coats (it was cold and snowy) and various other items of Bengals gear. We were about halfway to Greektown and noticed a car full of Lions fans slowing down and pulling over to the side of the road where we were walking. Thought, Oh Crap, this is it. They pulled up rolled down the windows and started yelling "Who Dey" and other things such as "Kick Our Ass", (not Kiss but Kick). Turns out we were there for what was being billed as The Millen Man March. They absolutely hated Matt Millen, GM of the Lions at the time. The radio station that was promoting the march was also urging Lions fans to "Orange out" the stadium, which at the time was reported that 40,000 Lions fans did. Had a great time at the game, Lions fans sitting all around us in various Orange attire, cheering when the Bengals scored, high fiving us, etc. Great time from the walk to Greektown, (the bar we went to was probably 80% Bengals fans), then walking to the stadium, at the game, and they were even cheering us as we walked by to our car afterwards, (which was safe and sound) and we had won the game.

A different story for my one game in Cleveland at the old Muni Stadium that I'll save for later though.

8 minutes ago, MOC said:

My experience in Detroit was a lot different then yours. Brother and I went to the game in 2005 at Ford Field. Parked in a small parking lot next to a small, what appeared to be a several story apartment building and there were Lions fans tailgating. The guy that was collecting parking fees ran out of the building to get our money. We didn't know if he was the official guy or not but we gave him the money and moved on. Walked a couple blocks, noticing numerous burned out cars on side streets and were making our way to Greektown to meet a friend for a few beers and then go to the stadium from there. We were both wearing Bengals jersey, Bengals coats (it was cold and snowy) and various other items of Bengals gear. We were about halfway to Greektown and noticed a car full of Lions fans slowing down and pulling over to the side of the road where we were walking. Thought, Oh Crap, this is it. They pulled up rolled down the windows and started yelling "Who Dey" and other things such as "Kick Our Ass", (not Kiss but Kick). Turns out we were there for what was being billed as The Millen Man March. They absolutely hated Matt Millen, GM of the Lions at the time. The radio station that was promoting the march was also urging Lions fans to "Orange out" the stadium, which at the time was reported that 40,000 Lions fans did. Had a great time at the game, Lions fans sitting all around us in various Orange attire, cheering when the Bengals scored, high fiving us, etc. Great time from the walk to Greektown, (the bar we went to was probably 80% Bengals fans), then walking to the stadium, at the game, and they were even cheering us as we walked by to our car afterwards, (which was safe and sound) and we had won the game.

A different story for my one game in Cleveland at the old Muni Stadium that I'll save for later though.

Oh man do I remember this, wasn't there but remember it being a thing.

13 minutes ago, MOC said:

That's freakin hilarious..  Hope you got to enjoy Plaka in Greektown before they closed. 

2 hours ago, MOC said:

I do remember that time. Great story. I'm one of the few people outside of Detroit proper, who actually likes Detroit proper. Have spent a lot of time up there. 

Watching NFL games in-person is both immensely entertaining, and enraging. Paraphrasing Henry II "The problem with stadiums, is it's full of "FANS". The complete microcosm of the socio-environmental cornucopia. And, as I am certain you already know, Riverfront/Cinergy/PBS/Paycor has its more-than-fair-share of the deviants. And, it goes back a ways also...not a modern phenomena.

Case in point: it was the Dallas game of 1985 at Riverfront. Dallas is a juggernaut, and the so-so Bengals laid a major hurt on them...all game long. I was in my customary Section 326 (upper level), enjoying every last moment of this very unexpected dominance. Our section had many season ticket holders around, but there were a group of what I used to call "Joe gave us his tickets this week" types. Typical drinking way too much, loud, obnoxious, "experts" types. There was an older couple sitting a few rows in front of them, in innocuous Cowboy attire (just silver jackets with the blue star on the front and sleeves--this was 1985 and not the FanZone kind of extravagance in gear). As the game wore on, and the dominance increased, the drunks were giving 92 degrees of crap to these poor souls--who clearly just were there to watch. They made no response to the drunks, but near the end of the 3rd Quarter, I could see them rustling around--obviously getting ready to escape the abuse. I had had enough of the drunks' shit myself, so during a break, I went down near their row and told them to knock their bullshit off and leave the people alone. The loudest drunk said "Oh man, what are you saying...us Bengal fans have to stick together". I said, firmly, "No..I AM a Bengal fan--you are a drunk obnoxious asshole. Shut the fuck up"  Seeing no objections, I went to the people in the Cowboy jackets and told them they should sit and try to enjoy the rest of the game. They thanked me, but decided to leave anyway. 

There are lots of stories I have just from the drunk goofballs in our own house. And I'm not simon pure, I have been a dickhead a time or two also in my former life. Not proud of any of that.         

Sat in a few different sections at PBS and club was definitely the most civilized.  Endzone is fun if you want to stand the whole game, see maybe half of it and get entirely shitfaced.  This is the "I don't mind getting beer spilled on me or losing my voice for a couple of days" seating.

Showing my age I guess but I've come to prefer the former.  Definitely a case to be made for either one though.

Been to plenty of stadiums.  The division games are BY FAR the worst ones to go to. Believe it or not, Pittsburgh was by far the best of the 3 but we were more whipping boy than rivals back then.  Haven’t been in about 8 years. 

I won’t go to Cleveland anymore.  Just non stop douche bags. Baltimore is better.  If you spend money on good seats it’s fine.  Sitting in the endzone at an away divisional game geared up is really a bad idea. 

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Saw a blurb about the team trying to get Paycor to resurface the field?

Zombie thread or nah

zombie-hand.gif

Are you talking about going back to grass turf? For some reason I think I remember that they left all the irrigation in place when they switched to field turf. I could be wrong though and am welcome to anyone who has more knowledge to correct me.

7 hours ago, BengalBuck said:

Are you talking about going back to grass turf? For some reason I think I remember that they left all the irrigation in place when they switched to field turf. I could be wrong though and am welcome to anyone who has more knowledge to correct me.

The players’ union is demanding that the field turf at I believe 5 different fields be replaced (all the same turf) because they claim there are more injuries on them.  PBS is one of the fields.  The league says there is no evidence that is true.  Stay tuned.  

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

The players’ union is demanding that the field turf at I believe 5 different fields be replaced (all the same turf) because they claim there are more injuries on them.  PBS is one of the fields.  The league says there is no evidence that is true.  Stay tuned.  

Read an article somewhere where players want all NFL fields to be the same.  Whether it be turf or grass, most prefer grass, they want it to be the best and consistent. 

45 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Read an article somewhere where players want all NFL fields to be the same.  Whether it be turf or grass, most prefer grass, they want it to be the best and consistent. 

I think they have a legitimate argument.  Grass is great when it is properly grown in the right environment but we all remember our shit grass field and Pittsburgh’s current field.  

If they heat it like the European’s do their soccer fields, fine. The frozen tundra nonsense is dumb. 

22 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I think they have a legitimate argument.  Grass is great when it is properly grown in the right environment but we all remember our shit grass field and Pittsburgh’s current field.  

If they heat it like the European’s do their soccer fields, fine. The frozen tundra nonsense is dumb. 

Yeah, not sure it's realistic to have proper grass fields in the Great Lakes area in the winter. 

Heating fields costs money.  Who has that kind of cash?  :ninja:

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

The pitch at Anfield is composed of 95% grass and "five percent artificial fibres". It is always in brilliant condition. And it can't get more inclement weather wise in Merseyside as in Pittsburgh. Plus, more end-to-end use plus all corners. 

Neat article here about the Anfield pitch from July. Besides the composition, it also takes some horticultural skills by people:

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/art-creating-perfect-pitches-liverpool-fc

29 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Good stuff too..

I was looking at all the Premier league stadiums and most were beautiful venues.

Some small others large ( Man U 72000) but well crafted .

Amish will be all over me for continuing with the footy "stuff", but there are reasons the PL has these incredible arenas. The foremost reason is: they have a lot of money--a LOT of money. The game is, literally, the only game in town. No other competition. 

Swansea City FC, for example, has net value of $800 million. That value is comprised of outside ownership--American by the way--and 25% city/fan owned (much like the Packers). But, while this is admirable, they pale compared to a Liverpool value $4.4 Billion. And Liverpool is also owned by an American-based group, who also owns the Red Sox. But, they are going to sell soon, and the prospective buyer is a Mukesh Ambani--worth himself $91 Billion--who is also owner of the most valued team in Indian Cricket (a league 5th ranked in the world in total net worth). 

So, paying for good turf, great players, and a bit let over, isn't such a deal to these people.    

14 minutes ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Guys.... please bear in mind that the temperature and weather extremes across North America, and in the American Midwest in particular, are much more significant than anything you'll find in Britain.  It's easier to have good playing surfaces over there than over here, particularly if one wants to play on natural grass.

I know of no venue in the Premier League that has a field exposed to temperatures ranging from Sub-Zero to 90-100 Fahrenheit annually.  If natural grass surfaces here were robust enough to withstand the environment AND being trodden upon by 300 lb linemen AND being torn up by full speed, full body tackles by huge men in what is essentially body armor, we would already have all of our fields sporting grass surfaces.

In soccer, you've got relatively tiny men who run around and who sometimes slide or fall down onto the grass which is grown and maintained in a much more temperate environment.  Comparing NFL turf requirements to Premiere League turf requirements is comparing apples to oranges.

Pig and elephant DNA just won't splice.

Perhaps. But there is a reason world football clubs universally will NOT play on ProTurf--it is dangerous even for those "tiny guys". Gillette Stadium (Pats)/New England Revolution):

85638f8759599346fd41e6ef0f009436_crop_exact.jpg

6 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Taylor :wub: comped me first two tix for both shows.

And a private performance later.  If you know what I mean and I think you do.

:whistle:

Ah, yes.. the private performance..  where she removes the skin mask and eats a live mouse.

Enjoy!

Archived