Keeping our enemies close 2022 season

Figured I would start a new thread since the other one is getting very long.  

Watson gets 6 games. Not surprised since the NFL will always protect its old school franchises.  Cleveland probably had a heads up before they signed him. 

20 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

IIRC the NFL wanted more (full season) but this was in arbitration and decided by a 3rd party

The nfl claims it wanted more. It also front loaded the schedule with easier games for Cleveland that overlays the exact bullshit suspension.  Very convenient…

Either side can appeal the 6 game suspension. Watson and the union have said they would accept whatever the judge handed out. The league can appeal it to Roger Goodell but has to decide within 3 days. That's also the day of the HoF game in Canton. 

I'd guess the league will appeal and Roger will increase the suspension. The whole thing is mainly driven by PR. Watson has settled all but 1 of the civil cases against him, including the first woman who came forward. Two grand juries declined to indict him for anything. Watson's lawyer has bungled this from the beginning, but his client will be on the football field this season. 

If Rodger wants to save the NFL alot of bad PR he needs to say "Thank you for the recommendation Sue, but I feel 17 games is more appropriate. And I'm the final say as I run the league." 

... His popularity with NFL fans would jump 50% overnight and maybe he would even get a few cheers on draft night instead of boos next year. 

5 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

If Rodger wants to save the NFL alot of bad PR he needs to say "Thank you for the recommendation Sue, but I feel 17 games is more appropriate. And I'm the final say as I run the league." 

... His popularity with NFL fans would jump 50% overnight and maybe he would even get a few cheers on draft night instead of boos next year. 

Do not disagree.  The problem Roger has is this.  Until the new CBA Roger was the judge, jury and executioner for everything.  We all know the problems and issues the players had in what they considered was inconsistent punishment with that process.  The third party advocate chosen by both sides was considered the solution.  If Roger and the NFL appeal he becomes the jury and executioner again and the players will think there was no change in the process.

If Roger does add games or a heavy fine against Watson then Watson can file a lawsuit against the NFL.  The judge could hand down an injunction allowing Watson to play until he has his day in court which could be years down the road.  Roger loses again.

Archived