Keeping our enemies close 2022 season

On 8/1/2022 at 9:23 AM, SF2 said:

Figured I would start a new thread since the other one is getting very long.  

Watson gets 6 games. Not surprised since the NFL will always protect its old school franchises.  Cleveland probably had a heads up before they signed him. 

Softest schedule for the first 6 games.  Schedules were determined months ago.  :35_thinking:

Personally, if I'm Roger, I'm calling up Deshaun tonight and telling him he has 2 options ... 

1. A 48 game suspension and 50 million fine, if he challenges the penalty in court.

- Or -

2. A 24 game suspension and 10 million dollar fine, if he accepts the punishment with no challenge.

Time to play hard ball with this fucking creep! 

OK.. maybe a bit dense here…but He (Roger) will “hear the appeal” 

“Appeal” from whom…the NFLPA, Watson, or both?

Understanding that the Union/Watson would “abide by the arbiter’s decision”, but Roger didn’t. So how is he hearing an appeal by one or both of the other? 

Help? 

5 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I think Roger Goodell shakes a finger at him and says "Don't do that again!" and that's it.

All total bullshit.  The fool should be out for at least a season and consider himself lucky.

Nah, he wouldn't have appealed it if he was going to do that. From what I've read Goodell wanted an open ended one year suspension and an $8 million fine. 

This is a huge black eye on the NFL, they can't sit back and let this flawed decision be the end of it. 

2 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Fuck that, he's the boss and his job is to protect the league from PR embarrassment that harms the bottom line ($) ...

IMG_20220803_170044.jpgIMG_20220803_170053.jpg

Browns fans, stealer fans, pretty much the same thing at this point. Disgusting af. 

12 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

OK.. maybe a bit dense here…but He (Roger) will “hear the appeal” 

“Appeal” from whom…the NFLPA, Watson, or both?

Understanding that the Union/Watson would “abide by the arbiter’s decision”, but Roger didn’t. So how is he hearing an appeal by one or both of the other? 

Help? 

The NFL appealed. The procedure under the CBA is for Goodell or an appointed arbiter to hear the appeal.

23 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

OK.. maybe a bit dense here…but He (Roger) will “hear the appeal” ?

If Judge Sue had found Deshaun innocent and given him 0 games I don't think Roger could have appealed. He is bound by her conclusion: ("egregious", "sexual assault took place", "predatory" etc) ... Just not her punishment recommendation.

And yes, Roger is appealing to himself or someone he chooses, so himself still essentially.

The more I think about it the more an indefinite suspension makes sense. 

1. 6 games is no punishment whatsoever. It will cost Watson almost nothing. The Browns have a soft first 6 games.  This isn’t a punishment at all. 

2. Watson has shown ZERO remorse.  None.  6 games won’t change it. 

3. Goodell is furious at the cute little fucking game the Browns played with Watson’s contract.  The owners are furious with the idiotic 5 year guaranteed contract.  Goodell works for the owners he is going to punish these asshats. 

4. Watson fucked over the Texans.  He signed a contract extension and never played 1 fucking down on it.  Held them hostage because of these allegations. They couldn’t cut him, nobody would take him at the time and they had no choice but to pay him or get zero in return.  That’s AFTER he got the signing bonus in 2020. 

5. It’s a horrible look for the league. Watson makes the league look like shit and pays no price. Not gonna happen. Goodell doesn’t want the NFL to turn into the NBA where the best players do and go wherever they want.  He is going to drop the hammer on him because that is what the owners want. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

1. 6 games is no punishment whatsoever. It will cost Watson almost nothing. The Browns have a soft first 6 games.  This isn’t a punishment at all. 

2. Watson has shown ZERO remorse.  None.  6 games won’t change it. 

3. Goodell is furious at the cute little fucking game the Browns played with Watson’s contract.  The owners are furious with the idiotic 5 year guaranteed contract.  Goodell works for the owners he is going to punish these asshats. 

4. Watson fucked over the Texans.  He signed a contract extension and never played 1 fucking down on it.  Held them hostage because of these allegations. They couldn’t cut him, nobody would take him at the time and they had no choice but to pay him or get zero in return.  That’s AFTER he got the signing bonus in 2020. 

5. It’s a horrible look for the league. Watson makes the league look like shit and pays no price. Not gonna happen. Goodell doesn’t want the NFL to turn into the NBA where the best players do and go wherever they want.  He is going to drop the hammer on him because that is what the owners want. 

Your number (3) is so important here, and no one seems to talk about it. Goodell works for the owners, and right now there are 31 owners who are absolutely livid at Jimmy Haslam. for guaranteeing every dollar of Watson's franchise QB contract. A long suspension would sort of put a huge asterisk over Watson's contract, the largest and easily the greatest in NFL history by far. 

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

Houston does own their first round draft picks for the next 2 years, that's likely a top 10 pick next year if not both.  3 first round picks and 5 total for a habitual sex offender that everyone outside of Cleveland viewed as untouchable is a pretty sweet deal.

Rest of your post makes good sense though.   We all know Dodgy Roger and the owners have no problem harboring rapists when it suits them but I could very much see them being pissed about the contract.  Doing the right thing for the wrong reasons makes a lot of sense here.  Looks good publicly, sends a strong message privately.. Win-win as far as the NFL is concerned. 

18 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Houston does own their first round draft picks for the next 2 years, that's likely a top 10 pick next year if not both.  3 first round picks and 5 total for a habitual sex offender that everyone outside of Cleveland viewed as untouchable is a pretty sweet deal.

Rest of your post makes good sense though.   We all know Dodgy Roger and the owners have no problem harboring rapists when it suits them but I could very much see them being pissed about the contract.  Doing the right thing for the wrong reasons makes a lot of sense here.  Looks good publicly, sends a strong message privately.. Win-win as far as the NFL is concerned. 

But Houston ended up losing a legitimate franchise QB which are extremely hard to replace. I don’t know much about Mills but nobody ever seems to talk about him. 

Yeah, they got more than I thought they would but they should be in the second year of the rebuild set at QB, not hoping they hit the lottery with a 3rd rounder. 

Archived