Keeping our enemies close 2022 season

Lamar is so physically gifted I think he would be the best PR and KR in the league. 

The problem is that the QB position is not principally based on speed, agility, shiftiness, running vision, acceleration. 

I was hoping the Ravens would give him a long guaranteed deal, as I think his play style has been deciphered by most DCs and he's likely to be injured.

Any stress on the locker room is good though and I hope he's bitter.

One interesting aspect which I think could happen with Burrow is the NFLs first % based contract. Where the Bengals guarantee him 20% of total team salary cap for the next 7 seasons or so, without a fixed salary. That way as the cap increases, his pay does. 

Then that would become the new benchmark for top QBs. 

2 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

One interesting aspect which I think could happen with Burrow is the NFLs first % based contract. Where the Bengals guarantee him 15-20% of total team salary cap for the next 7 seasons or so, without a fixed salary. That way as the cap increases, his pay does. 

I like that idea..

25 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Not exactly a pauper. 

True. But no NFL starting QBs are.

The difference here is that Lamar reportedly has roughly 200 million guaranteed on the table, but is holding out for more than Deshaun's 230.

A gigantic risk if he blows out his knee this season. He would have effectively left 180 million on the table he would never see. It is an irresponsible risk that only a player without an agent (taking their 2%) would ever make. 

14 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

True. But no NFL starting QBs are.

The difference here is that Lamar reportedly has roughly 200 million guaranteed on the table, but is holding out for more than Deshaun's 230.

A gigantic risk if he blows out his knee this season. He would have effectively left 180 million on the table he would never see. It is an irresponsible risk that only a player without an agent (taking their 2%) would ever make. 

Totally agree. And if he has a MEH season?  He is stupid not to take the generational deal. 

9 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

It is insane for Lamar to play without a new contract ...

yea if he is injured how will he live on the 30+ million he has accumulated winning 1 playoff game in 4 years and being injured.

6 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

DeCosta just doesnt see Lemar as a long twrm answer .

Jackson is an excitable runner but its only time before his legs are injured

and guaranteed money is the snag imo.

i was shocked the broncos forked over a pile to wilson, who is an older and equally as successless as lamar in the postseason. Wilson rode the defense to superbowls and chucking the ball to talent around him. lamar has one playoff win, that MVP doesnt give the franchise a damn thing minus some cuts of jersey sales. they are wise to just keep tagging him.

6 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Other owners are not going to repeat the Browns mistake ...

IMG_20220909_162906.jpg

says the guy who is the PRIME EXAMPLE of why no team should give such a contract.

5 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Yeah, Jackson is betting on himself. He doesn't have an agent and we likely won't find out what the Ravens offered. But he may increase his value if he stays healthy while he and the team have a good season. Or he could have a serious injury in game 1. 

seems like a risky bet. but lets be honesy even if injured all season someone will give him a pile and a shot, look at what cleveland just did. 

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

Totally agree. And if he has a MEH season?  He is stupid not to take the generational deal. 

unless he wins a few playoff games it would be unwise to pay him much of a pile, IMO, the guy is useless passing outside the numbers, how do people like him and jimmy G get such fat piles with such HUGE holes in their games?

3 hours ago, Cricket said:

I’m sure that it will be well North of $30 million…probably closer to $45 million.

🦗

based on current 2023 contracts it will be 32.88 for the average of the top 5 salaries, but thats not changed to cap hits vs base salaries?

"The exclusive franchise tag is set as the average of the top five cap hits at the position following that year’s free agency. The cut-off for that determination is usually during April."

The exception to that is if a player’s current salary multiplied by 1.2 is higher than the number set by the NFL. The franchise-tagged player would earn the higher of the two amounts.

When the second tag is applied, the price is 120% of the previous year’s cap number. A third tag would then increase the cap number by a further 144%. For example, let’s take a player tagged at $20 million in Year 1. The second tag would see the cost jump to $24 million a year. If there is a third tag on the player, his salary in that year would be $34.56 million.

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Lamar’s style of play just isn’t maintainable long term.  Especially without some talent around him.  The Ravens have squat around Jackson.  I feel for him.  He is in a tough spot. 

this is where i have beef with some of these QBs. Jimmy G needs a stable of top talent around him to be a winner, so how is he worth so much as he got paid? Lamar of all current QBs is obviously claiming his talent, arm and legs, is worth the money, but he also needs a great defense and i guess really good weapons like a top 3 TE in the league, good RBs, but admittidly mediocre WR's isnt enough? so they need to pay him a quarter billion, but feel sorry for him if they cant pay to load the roaster around him too? thats wild. Bngals ahve a window due to the low rookie deals, broncos have a window due to inexpensive defense rookie deals, etc.

So tough to balance a roster, if youre gonna pay a guy like Lamar wants paid, youre gonna need to kill it in the draft for many years in a row. Is that worth risking with his injury history and lack of success in the post season?

9 hours ago, GoBengals said:

unless he wins a few playoff games it would be unwise to pay him much of a pile, IMO, the guy is useless passing outside the numbers, how do people like him and jimmy G get such fat piles with such HUGE holes in their games?

I agree. My point is that if Baltimore did offer him something in the Murray range which seems to be the rumor de jour then he was foolish to not make that deal.  Of, course we don’t know exactly what was offered 

Furthermore, the Ravens made a huge mistake once already signing a guy to a huge contract based on one season, I doubt they Flacco themselves again.   

9 hours ago, GoBengals said:

based on current 2023 contracts it will be 32.88 for the average of the top 5 salaries, but thats not changed to cap hits vs base salaries?

"The exclusive franchise tag is set as the average of the top five cap hits at the position following that year’s free agency. The cut-off for that determination is usually during April."

The exception to that is if a player’s current salary multiplied by 1.2 is higher than the number set by the NFL. The franchise-tagged player would earn the higher of the two amounts.

When the second tag is applied, the price is 120% of the previous year’s cap number. A third tag would then increase the cap number by a further 144%. For example, let’s take a player tagged at $20 million in Year 1. The second tag would see the cost jump to $24 million a year. If there is a third tag on the player, his salary in that year would be $34.56 million.

I’m not sure how the Franchise Tag for QBs for 2023 is expected to be $32.88 million…and I will be very surprised if it is.

CCBE0C4C-94BA-48F8-897D-6004DE87AB7E.jpeg.3659bdd521dd7cd13a066f682322e782.jpeg

…but what do I know?  :shrug: 

20 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

One interesting aspect which I think could happen with Burrow is the NFLs first % based contract. Where the Bengals guarantee him 20% of total team salary cap for the next 7 seasons or so, without a fixed salary. That way as the cap increases, his pay does. 

That is really interesting...how much is the salary amount currently, I can figure Burrow's yearly share if that happens to occur...

14 hours ago, GoBengals said:

yea if he is injured how will he live on the 30+ million he has accumulated winning 1 playoff game in 4 years and being injured.

:lol:

Imagine looking at $200 mil guaranteed and saying "well he got 30 more!"  These guys exist on an entirely different planet than the rest of us.

Totally agree about Wilso too; thought he was pretty average overall at his best and his best was some years ago.

18 minutes ago, BengalBuck said:

I really don't understand why Lamar doesn't have an agent!?!? They can only take 3% and I'm sure his deal would have been done by now. He clearly needs someone to take him by the hand and walk him through this situation.

I mean I dunno. The way he’s talked about it on social media leads me to believe he’s just dumb. Doing himself a disservice especially the way he plays. 

2 hours ago, BengalBuck said:

I really don't understand why Lamar doesn't have an agent!?!? They can only take 3% and I'm sure his deal would have been done by now. He clearly needs someone to take him by the hand and walk him through this situation.

The most important points are an agent has far more experience with contract language and they would have been working on this 24/7, not just when they had spare time in between practices.  

Archived