Keeping our enemies close 2022 season

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

All my 20 something children and their friend have rediscovered Rock music. You can only digest so much of the same hip hop music,  mass produced Disney/Nickelodeon Princess crap and boy band garbage.   

My son is a musician and was in a punk band for awhile. You will find anything on his Spotify from Johnny Cash to NWA to even some 70's pop music. He's introduced me to some stuff and in return, I've introduced stuff to him on road trips that he's liked. 

12 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Very true SF...

Elton John is takins old melodies from songa yeats ago  and recapturing audiences now.

Def Leppard should try it!!!..

And. Btw..

Clapton peaked with "Layla and other Love Songs"... 

You know it..

Def Leppard just made 1 million per show on their recent tour with Motley Crue. They must be doing something right. BTW, Motley made 2 million per show.

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Hard to fathom Crue making double of Def Leppard since Def is the headliner..

They were co-headliners. Motley Crues guarantee was just higher than Def Leppards is all. Poison made 250,000 per show and Joan Jet got 65,000.  

How old are we (me)?

It was 48 years ago last month that I went to my first concert (Sweet Home Alabama came out that year) with Lynyrd Skynyrd headlining.  Doobie Brothers opened for them.  10 days later I saw ZZ Top.

Then it just took off from there, as there was a theater, the Paramount, that used to have concerts for $1.99, Foghat, Bad Company, Edgar Winter, Little River Band, etc.

8 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Hard to fathom Crue making double of Def Leppard since Def is the headliner..

Crue has a HUGE young following ever since the movie The Dirt came out on Netflix.

All of my 24 year old son’s friends went to the recent concert. Like 20 something young adults rented a huge party bus just to to see them.  

Every bit as entertaining as Kiss on stage but they can still rock. 

I am 58.  First concert was Van Halen in 1979 follow by The Kinks later that year who were great.  Seen Rush 6 times. 

4 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I am 56.  My first concert was in 1980.   The Kinks at Millett Hall in Oxford.  Great show.  My second show was The Allman Brother's Band with Molly Hatchet as opener at Dayton's Hara Arena.  What a dump that place was. 

We called it Mara Arena.  The “no smoking” rules only applied to cigarettes.  That is why we hated going to Riverfront Coliseum, ushers were too strict.  

43 minutes ago, SF2 said:

We called it Mara Arena.  The “no smoking” rules only applied to cigarettes.  That is why we hated going to Riverfront Coliseum, ushers were too strict.  

I didn't know there were any rules in that place. 

Coliseum was such a bummer after the Who concert.  Everyone avoided Cincinnati for years. 

2 hours ago, MOC said:

The last time I saw them--"The End Tour"--he was great as always. He was looking creaky moving around though, so I was thinking "here comes this stuff again". Not surprising he's not touring now.  

23 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

The last time I saw them--"The End Tour"--he was great as always. He was looking creaky moving around though, so I was thinking "here comes this stuff again". Not surprising he's not touring now.  

Saw them at The Schott in Columbus in 2014, which was supposedly, by contractual agreement, their "Final" tour. Brother bought me tickets for my 60th. Focused on Mick almost the entire show, just mesmerized at his talent/skills, while wondering the whole time how he was still standing upright? Alice Cooper opened too, which if the show had ended after his performance, I would have felt like I had got my money's worth, although I'm glad it didn't. :049:

1 hour ago, MOC said:

Saw them at The Schott in Columbus in 2014, which was supposedly, by contractual agreement, their "Final" tour. Brother bought me tickets for my 60th. Focused on Mick almost the entire show, just mesmerized at his talent/skills, while wondering the whole time how he was still standing upright? Alice Cooper opened too, which if the show had ended after his performance, I would have felt like I had got my money's worth, although I'm glad it didn't. :049:

Alice's jacket at Hard Rock

IMG_0682.JPG

9 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I am amazed that Mick Mars is still able to stand, let alone put on the magic he does. 

Saw Bernie Worrell (RIP) at Ripley's (also RIP) in Clifton (kinda RIP too).   He was battling the cancers that eventually got him and frankly did not look well..

Until about 5 minutes into his set.  Played his ass off.  Dancing, sweating, throwing down. He did indeed tear the roof off the sucker.  He had to be helped off the stage.

Amazing transformation and an incredible performance I feel very fortunate to have witnessed.   That full production 70's P-Funk stage show with the UFO props and god knows what else must have been wild.

50 & my first real concert was Chuck Berry at the Summit in Houston.

My next real concert after that was NOFX in a storefront space about the size of one of the Summit's bathrooms.

1 hour ago, MOC said:

I'm excited to see John 5 take Mick's place. Great guitar player. I will def go see them again with the ex-Rob Zombie guitarist. 

There is a great documentary called Hired Gun on Amazon Prime and I think Peacock about the musicians who step in and fill roles in the studio and on the road for the stars. A lot of them are well known musicians in their own right. I will probably watch it again tonight instead of the snoozefest football game tonight. 

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

50 & my first real concert was Chuck Berry at the Summit in Houston.

Now I would have loved that! 

I saw a lot of (at the time) unknown artists in bars before, but my first real concert was in 1972 at St John Arena in Columbus: Grand Funk Railroad. This was pre-cheesy GFR from the subsequent years, and they did a cover of “Gimme Shelter” that blew the roof off the place. 

For the “most enjoyable” show I saw—it was, of all people, Frank Sinatra. This was 1981 at Caesars in Las Vegas. I had scrounged the loot together for two up front tickets (I really wanted to impress a girl, go figure). What a show…what entertainment! Blue Eyes could bring it. 

Archived