Keeping our enemies close 2022 season

6 hours ago, BengalBuck said:

I'm not sure if any of you actually play an instrument, but it was kind of odd with all the Frank Zappa talk that this article popped up in my email. 

https://www.premierguitar.com/lessons/rock/frank-zappa-guitar-lesson

I play a little bit, and poorly.  No chops for this stuff.  Like the modal/theory stuff though. 

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I play a little bit, and poorly.  No chops for this stuff.  Like the modal/theory stuff though. 

I hadn't listened to Frank in years until this convo came up and on top of that this article came in my email... The scales and chord progressions he was playing in/over were not nearly as complicated as I thought and it was more the fluctuating time signatures that made me think it was more difficult than it was. 

Learn your Ionian mode, it's the secret to unlocking music.

12 hours ago, BengalBuck said:

the fluctuating time signatures that made me think it was more difficult than it was. 

I read that with Mothers one of his things would be to change time signature & style on a whim mid-song with a hand gesture.  Whole band was expected to immediately switch to a reggae version or metal double-time without missing a beat.  There's playing tight and then there's that craziness.

Known a couple of different bands that wanted to cover a Zappa tune.  Both gave up.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I read that with Mothers one of his things would be to change time signature & style on a whim mid-song with a hand gesture.  Whole band was expected to immediately switch to a reggae version or metal double-time without missing a beat.  There's playing tight and then there's that craziness.

Known a couple of different bands that wanted to cover a Zappa tune.  Both gave up.

Yah, you really would need top of the line players across the board to pull something like that off. And lots of rehearsals and most people don't have the time to dedicate to this sort of thing because of life happens. "Hey, let's play Panama instead."😄

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

& I like We're Only in It for the Money and select bits of others..  This one's a favorite

That was a melllow version of Frank's repertoire..

An Improvisationist every minute was a gift ..of some sort.....

Maybe genious somewhere in that musical mind of his..????

Tks for sharing.

On 11/5/2022 at 3:49 AM, T-Dub said:

& I like We're Only in It for the Money and select bits of others..  This one's a favorite

This was my earworm the other day when y'all started talking about Zappa. 

How about some King Crimson? 

36 minutes ago, CincyInDC said:

This was my earworm the other day when y'all started talking about Zappa. 

this one he cuts short? :rolleyes:

I listen to KC or Yes etc prog sometimes but it's a mood, their tunes are epics.  I will play all 22 minutes of Gates of Delirium but prefer Can for regular listening. 

Generally speaking I like my 70's music heavier, the proto-metal bands or postpunk like early Cure or Banshees.   Love the "mod revival" scene, some fantastic bands that never quite crossed the pond while having radio hits in the UK & Europe - The Jam, Wire, The Skids.. 

WTH, few pages late but I've make a thread for music recommendations:

Archived