Jump to content

Keeping our enemies close 2022 season


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Cat said:

Don't mean to derail - but I never got Zappa's music - it was just fucking weird to me.

So weird that he had to bring in a musical savant like Steve Vai to figure out what he was doing and put it on paper. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/25/2022 at 10:23 AM, Sea Ray said:

Colts owe Ryan $24 mill this year and another $29 mill after this year

 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2022/10/24/23421353/colts-salary-cap-implications-to-move-on-from-veteran-qb-matt-ryan-at-seasons-end

 

Amazing to me how billionaire owners just don't care about $30 mill here and there. What they don't seem to get is the salary cap implications

Matty IceD

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BengalBuck said:

So weird that he had to bring in a musical savant like Steve Vai to figure out what he was doing and put it on paper. 


Zappa was so demanding he always had to have exceptional players to keep

up.  From Vai to Adrian Belew, and going all the way back to Lowell George.  Frank was self taught, so he didn’t sound like anything you had heard before, but was a virtuoso himself.  
 

As you can tell I was, and am, a big Zappa fan. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Cat said:

Don't mean to derail - but I never got Zappa's music - it was just fucking weird to me.

 

 

I like some of the Mothers stuff & a few other bits but all that free jazz whatever later work is just painful to me.. Like he was trying his hardest to make the most discordant & random shit possible, and succeeding.  Writing music that sounds like it was blindly pulled out of a hat one measure at a time is probably some sort of accomplishment but I find it unlistenable.   The lore/mythology that went with it is amusing, though.  "Let's Make the Water Turn Black" used to be the "everyone GTFO" jukebox selection at a bar I went to...

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

As you can tell I was, and am, a big Zappa fan. 

As I. 
 

Years back, I saw Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan at a small bar near the OSU campus. It was sort of Flo and Eddie time, but they were playing a lot of Mothers songs—and even a sprinkled in Frank song or two. 
 

I had opportunity to hang around with them for several hours after the set. Fascinating people. Both were so dialed in to Zappa’s genius…and gushed about it. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saw Zappa in '84 at the Cincinnati Gardens.  Surreal show.  It was the Ray White/Ike Willis era on guitar.  Acoustics were horrible, but I enjoyed the show.

 

Several years ago I was at an NHL game and the organist started playing "Peaches En Regalia."  I was like, WTF?  Between periods I went over to the organ player and talked with him.  He, of course, was a Zappa fan and said he didn't think anyone ever listened to what he was playing.  Funny stuff.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saw him somewhere in Cincinnati... the Taft, maybe?

Midsong, the whole band just quit playing.

Walked around the stage talking, smoking a cigarette or two, drinking a soda just kind of doing nothing for like 20 minutes.

When the crowd became too WTF? restless, Frank walked to the mic, said "Pisses you off, doesn't it?" and

the picked up on the note they had left off with.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Saw him somewhere in Cincinnati... the Taft, maybe?

Midsong, the whole band just quit playing.

Walked around the stage talking, smoking a cigarette or two, drinking a soda just kind of doing nothing for like 20 minutes.

When the crowd became too WTF? restless, Frank walked to the mic, said "Pisses you off, doesn't it?" and

the picked up on the note they had left off with.

I'm thinking if you don't remember where you saw him, it was probably The Ludlow Garage? I too have many lost memories from attending "events" there. :whistle:

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MOC said:

I'm thinking if you don't remember where you saw him, it was probably The Ludlow Garage? I too have many lost memories from attending "events" there. :whistle:

Rethinking, it may very well have been Vets in Columbus

where I/we saw lots and lots of groups traveling in from

Athens.  Birthplace of Joe Burrow but before his time, of course.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Saw Zappa in '84 at the Cincinnati Gardens.  Surreal show.  It was the Ray White/Ike Willis era on guitar.  Acoustics were horrible, but I enjoyed the show.

 

Several years ago I was at an NHL game and the organist started playing "Peaches En Regalia."  I was like, WTF?  Between periods I went over to the organ player and talked with him.  He, of course, was a Zappa fan and said he didn't think anyone ever listened to what he was playing.  Funny stuff.

Never saw Frank, but I've seen Satch and Vai more times than I can count. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BengalBuck said:

Never saw Frank, but I've seen Satch and Vai more times than I can count. 

Lowell George was with Frank until he formed Little Feat..

Lowell died young and replaced by Paul Barrere.

Great Texas boogie band..

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Lowell George was with Frank until he formed Little Feat..

Lowell died young and replaced by Paul Barrere.

Great Texas boogie band..

 

 

No doubt Zappa's band members had to be tops in their field

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

So the big question now is does Tommy and the Brady Bunch have enough gas in the tank to shut

down the Rats tonight?

Seems odd to be rooting for Brady but that's the case this evening.

Tampa Bay has a ton of injuries, but the home team almost always win Thursday night games. Baltimore has the easiest schedule in the NFL the rest of the way. That's why tonight's game is so important for the Bengals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Lowell George was with Frank until he formed Little Feat..

Lowell died young and replaced by Paul Barrere.

Great Texas boogie band..

 

 

Uh.   Not quite accurate.

 

Paul Barrere (and Ken Gradney, and Sam Clayton) joined Feat in 1973 when Roy Estrada left.  They, plus Lowell, Bill Payne and Richie Hayward - are considered the classic, core Little Feat lineup, spanning from Dixie Chicken ('73) to Waiting For Columbus ('78),   Lowell died five years AFTER Paul had joined the band.  I'm not intending for this to sound rude or condescending, but I've been a friend of the band since they reformed in 1990's.  If you need to know anything about Little Feat, there's a very good chance that I'm your huckleberry. 

 

Don't know if this link will work, but here's the interview Feat did of me for a documentary during Feat Camp 3 in Jamaica (2005), where they asked me to talk about the one person responsible for introducing me to the band.  This was from when I was fat.

 

 

 

 

 

I'll not turn this into a Feat thread, but one day I'll give everyone a tour of the part of my basement where I've collected backstage passes, posters, autographed items, albums, photos, tour memorabilia, and all the other stuff one collects after three decades of following the best band in the world.   :)

 

PS - I've always thought them more of a California rock -slash- New Orleans swamp boogie band, with heavy doses of funk, folk, jazz, rockabilly, and southern Rock mixed in.... but that's one of the strengths (and weaknesses) of Little Feat.... their sound is so good but so unique that they were never able to be categorized accurately, which ultimately hurt them when it came to OTA radio play, because it was tough for an AOR station, or Pop station, or any other well-categorized station to know how to program Little Feat into their rotation.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, AmishBengalFan said:

 

Uh.   Not quite accurate.

 

Paul Barrere (and Ken Gradney, and Sam Clayton) joined Feat in 1973 when Roy Estrada left.  They, plus Lowell, Bill Payne and Richie Hayward - are considered the classic, core Little Feat lineup, spanning from Dixie Chicken ('73) to Waiting For Columbus ('78),   Lowell died five years AFTER Paul had joined the band.  I'm not intending for this to sound rude or condescending, but I've been a friend of the band since they reformed in 1990's.  If you need to know anything about Little Feat, there's a very good chance that I'm your huckleberry. 

 

Don't know if this link will work, but here's the interview Feat did of me for a documentary during Feat Camp 3 in Jamaica (2005), where they asked me to talk about the one person responsible for introducing me to the band.  This was from when I was fat.

 

 

 

 

 

I'll not turn this into a Feat thread, but one day I'll give everyone a tour of the part of my basement where I've collected backstage passes, posters, autographed items, albums, photos, tour memorabilia, and all the other stuff one collects after three decades of following the best band in the world.   :)

 

PS - I've always thought them more of a California rock -slash- New Orleans swamp boogie band, with heavy doses of funk, folk, jazz, rockabilly, and southern Rock mixed in.... but that's one of the strengths (and weaknesses) of Little Feat.... their sound is so good but so unique that they were never able to be categorized accurately, which ultimately hurt them when it came to OTA radio play, because it was tough for an AOR station, or Pop station, or any other well-categorized station to know how to program Little Feat into their rotation.

Tks for sharing..

Texas Twister (single)

came out in 1990 I believe and has remained an all-time favorite of mine..

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AmishBengalFan said:

 

Uh.   Not quite accurate.

 

Paul Barrere (and Ken Gradney, and Sam Clayton) joined Feat in 1973 when Roy Estrada left.  They, plus Lowell, Bill Payne and Richie Hayward - are considered the classic, core Little Feat lineup, spanning from Dixie Chicken ('73) to Waiting For Columbus ('78),   Lowell died five years AFTER Paul had joined the band.  I'm not intending for this to sound rude or condescending, but I've been a friend of the band since they reformed in 1990's.  If you need to know anything about Little Feat, there's a very good chance that I'm your huckleberry. 

 

Don't know if this link will work, but here's the interview Feat did of me for a documentary during Feat Camp 3 in Jamaica (2005), where they asked me to talk about the one person responsible for introducing me to the band.  This was from when I was fat.

 

 

 

 

 

I'll not turn this into a Feat thread, but one day I'll give everyone a tour of the part of my basement where I've collected backstage passes, posters, autographed items, albums, photos, tour memorabilia, and all the other stuff one collects after three decades of following the best band in the world.   :)

 

PS - I've always thought them more of a California rock -slash- New Orleans swamp boogie band, with heavy doses of funk, folk, jazz, rockabilly, and southern Rock mixed in.... but that's one of the strengths (and weaknesses) of Little Feat.... their sound is so good but so unique that they were never able to be categorized accurately, which ultimately hurt them when it came to OTA radio play, because it was tough for an AOR station, or Pop station, or any other well-categorized station to know how to program Little Feat into their rotation.

Tks for sharing that.

They were hard to categorize

Fused many genres tigether ti get what I call texas boogie...

Is that even a genre?..😎

 

Just awesome stuff..

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...