Lets talk about Jackson Carman

I argue with my kid all the time about Carman, he is pretty unforgiving of Carmans arrival and performance being a bit pathetic. It was. but i dont think that has hardly anything to do with 2022 season.

I feel lots of fans are the same way. Most everyone is acting like he sucks and don't want him in there.

Carman came in fat, thats his fault, seemingly didn't get much work in with the weird covid offseason, his fault. 

Then he got put on the right side, and the mishaps of the first year of his career piled on from there.

He was at a new position.

He was at a new side of the football.

He was overweight and out of shape.

He didnt seem to understand that being a physical freak wasnt going to be enough at the NFL level.

He was injured slightly, perhaps due to lack of conditioning? im not sure.

He had a musical chairs of people around him.

We can all agree he played like shit last year, I feel like the list of reasons why(above) is a fair assessment of why that happened. I get they are mostly his fault, but it still happened.

He seems to have learned from that very quickly, and Pollack praise which he isnt often giving out, says quite a bit for his offseason commitment.

So his talent level in college, his raw ability, and his new focus and health, all seem to be reasons for optimism.

I kind of expect him, sandwiched between two solid veterans, to play very well, and I expect to run behind him quite a bit i think.

Is there any logical reason to assume he isnt going to perform well going into this year?

am i missing something?

6 hours ago, GoBengals said:

Is there any logical reason to assume he isnt going to perform well going into this year?

His performance last year IS a logical reason for that assumption.  He’s just going to have to prove himself this year.  

The Pollack praise gives us hope. 

🦗

This is why they say it does no good to judge a draft before the third year.  Some guys get it immediately, some guys it takes a year or two, some guys never get it. And there is no way to tell who is who .

Carman earned the critical comments he's getting, but that's just fans.  He shouldn't give a shit.  What his teammates and coaches think is another thing.  Not sure where that goes.  

The reality is Carman is a high draft pick and will get another chance.  Hopefully he's ready and up for the challenge.  I don't doubt that he can do it, but I do doubt his professionalism and that his back will hold up for very long.

Kind of reminiscent of Andre Smith although the expectations of the 8th pick in the draft verses a 2nd rounder are different. 

Smith never lived up to expectations although he did become a serviceable tackle. His work ethic always seemed to be an issue. One year he would come to camp in shape, the next year, the chocolate version of the Sta-Puff marshmallow man.  

The better players never seem to go thru these phases even coming out of college. 

Let’s hope it was a one off time of celebration and he gets serious about doing what it takes to be a good NFL player year round. 

10 hours ago, GoBengals said:

I argue with my kid all the time about Carman, he is pretty unforgiving of Carmans arrival and performance being a bit pathetic. It was. but i dont think that has hardly anything to do with 2022 season.

I feel lots of fans are the same way. Most everyone is acting like he sucks and don't want him in there.

Carman came in fat, thats his fault, seemingly didn't get much work in with the weird covid offseason, his fault. 

Then he got put on the right side, and the mishaps of the first year of his career piled on from there.

He was at a new position.

He was at a new side of the football.

He was overweight and out of shape.

He didnt seem to understand that being a physical freak wasnt going to be enough at the NFL level.

He was injured slightly, perhaps due to lack of conditioning? im not sure.

He had a musical chairs of people around him.

We can all agree he played like shit last year, I feel like the list of reasons why(above) is a fair assessment of why that happened. I get they are mostly his fault, but it still happened.

He seems to have learned from that very quickly, and Pollack praise which he isnt often giving out, says quite a bit for his offseason commitment.

So his talent level in college, his raw ability, and his new focus and health, all seem to be reasons for optimism.

I kind of expect him, sandwiched between two solid veterans, to play very well, and I expect to run behind him quite a bit i think.

am i missing something?

I think logically he should perform very well this year, for all the reasons you've listed above. I'm REALLY hoping your right in fact, because a Lombardi will more than erase his faults from last year. The problem is, pro football is wildly unpredictable for many reasons, not the least of which being injuries.  The planets really lined up for this team last year resulting in a Super Bowl run, which is pretty bizarre considering how awful the pass protection was. The skill players made great plays on must have it downs. The defense made key stops and got turnovers with playoff games on the line. It was glorious for this franchise after such a postseason drought with so much heartache, but luck was with us for the most part too. Can't count on that, we need to be even better this upcoming year to get another shot at it. Hopefully Carman is a contributor to this. I know my next take here is pretty childish, but it's hard not to blame him for basically coming up one play short of an NFL championship. Him, Adeniji, and Prince. I know Carman is young, but a college graduate hired for millions to play in the NFL should be maniacally prepared to prove himself. Maybe there's something in his personal life that hampered that? Either way, winning cures all. Let's go Bengals! Let's go Carman!

• GoBengals changed the title to Lets talk about Jackson Carman
5 hours ago, SF2 said:

Kind of reminiscent of Andre Smith although the expectations of the 8th pick in the draft verses a 2nd rounder are different. 

Smith never lived up to expectations although he did become a serviceable tackle. His work ethic always seemed to be an issue. One year he would come to camp in shape, the next year, the chocolate version of the Sta-Puff marshmallow man.  

The better players never seem to go thru these phases even coming out of college. 

Let’s hope it was a one off time of celebration and he gets serious about doing what it takes to be a good NFL player year round. 

I dont get the andre smith feel at all, but i see why you say that, smith had some close people in his circle in his head making him even worse (and coming here posting nonsense, hilariously) Immaturity and blatant stupidity are different for me, I think carman is more than capable of "manning up" for lack of a better term and with the vets around him, learning to be a pro. with him i FEEL like its lack of exposure to mature professionals, while clemson is a huge program, (offtopic off the top of my head why does every recent players from clemson seem like a quiet or weird person, higgins in quiet, carmen quiet, lawrence is quiet and weird, watson is a creepy fuck, the running back seems quiet, carman seems quiet and perhaps slightly weird, wtf).

anyway, Carmans issues feel like a young dumb kid gets drafted to be hero in hometown, and stupidly thought he could get ready in camp and be great like he always has. where smith just seemed like an asshole who didnt care, IMO

6 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Carman earned the critical comments he's getting, but that's just fans.  He shouldn't give a shit.  What his teammates and coaches think is another thing.  Not sure where that goes.  

The reality is Carman is a high draft pick and will get another chance.  Hopefully he's ready and up for the challenge.  I don't doubt that he can do it, but I do doubt his professionalism and that his back will hold up for very long.

i think thats part of my point, being critical of him last year and offseason looking back is fair, 100% fair, but he has seemingly done a 180 on these things, but people seem to act like he hasnt or ignore it completely. I dont usually take this stance with players, Carman just seems like a unique scenario due the compounding series of events last year.

7 hours ago, Cricket said:

His performance last year IS a logical reason for that assumption.  He’s just going to have to prove himself this year.  

The Pollack praise gives us hope. 

🦗

thats what im saying, he is already underway proving this year will be different by showing up in shape, by getting comments on the technique work he did in the offseason, by getting raise for work he has done in camp, the prove himself has already started, and everyone seems to be acting like he showed up to camp with a hot fudge cake in his pocket.

7 hours ago, gupps said:

This is why they say it does no good to judge a draft before the third year.  Some guys get it immediately, some guys it takes a year or two, some guys never get it. And there is no way to tell who is who .

not to knock the bengals but they should have known he was a little immature, but they probably did and assumed theyd be able to mold him quickly. however they did have a OL coach change in that same offseason, which i forgot to add to the list, so even the veterans were learning something new from someone new.

im just sitting over here looking at the carman situation like "oh thank god he got his shit together in the offseason healthy wise and mentally and physically seem to be on track, and he has the talent as he was drafted for it, so this should be good." and like 90% of the fanbase is like "yeah that 4th round pick from a borderline D2 football school in south dakota is going to start over him game 1"

thats where my "wtf" stance is coming from.

IMO, Andre Smith’s biggest problem was that he thought that God was in the driver’s seat with regards to his talents and where he ended up in the NFL…and where he was going.  He didn’t realize that he needed to devote himself to working hard to make himself better.  “It’s in God’s hands.”

[I saw a very early interview with him that made it this pretty clear…at least to me.]

🦗

Jacksons main problem was picking Clemson over the Bucks!!!

JK.. I think he will a really good player this year. A year under his belt, they seem to think his mind is right this season and he obviously is physically gifted. I hope he becomes a star for us.. 

6 hours ago, GoBengals said:

I dont get the andre smith feel at all, but i see why you say that, smith had some close people in his circle in his head making him even worse (and coming here posting nonsense, hilariously) Immaturity and blatant stupidity are different for me, I think carman is more than capable of "manning up" for lack of a better term and with the vets around him, learning to be a pro. with him i FEEL like its lack of exposure to mature professionals, while clemson is a huge program, (offtopic off the top of my head why does every recent players from clemson seem like a quiet or weird person, higgins in quiet, carmen quiet, lawrence is quiet and weird, watson is a creepy fuck, the running back seems quiet, carman seems quiet and perhaps slightly weird, wtf).

anyway, Carmans issues feel like a young dumb kid gets drafted to be hero in hometown, and stupidly thought he could get ready in camp and be great like he always has. where smith just seemed like an asshole who didnt care, IMO 

Hindsight is 20/20. Most thought Smith was just a dumb kid who came into camp fat  after taking a victory lap once he got drafted.   The other stuff didn’t come until later. 

Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying Jackson is the next Andre, at least he played his rookie year and seemed to be improving.   Time will tell and once again he was a second round pick, getting a serviceable starter on O-line from there would be a huge victory. 

Smith gets a bad rap with fans because he wasn't Willie Anderson. He was a solid tackle though.

As far as Jackson, I was pretty disappointed with his professionalism coming into camp overweight last year. It sounds like everything is good this year though as Pollack isn't the type to BS anyone and has said he's been good. Of course like everyone else I want to see that on the field.

I have little faith in Carman and I'm fully on #TeamVolson.

But I would love to be wrong, as them both being good would be a nice problem to have. 

After all, Carman was a 5 star recruit, so the innate ability isn't the issue. Between the ears is what needs some work.

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

... I actually am ok with what Andre Smith gave the team. Then again, maybe it's just my fetish for dancing bears with jiggle tits.

when I first started reading this, I saw you are ok with what he gave the team.. I was instantly thinking some big titties, but you covered it in the second part of you sentence. 

16 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

But I would love to be wrong, as them both being good would be a nice problem to have. 

After all, Carman was a 5 star recruit, so the innate ability isn't the issue. Between the ears is what needs some work.

So much this ☝️

Volson has the work ethic and mentality that Carman the Entitled didn't and I don't think he got them in the off season.

What I would like to see (but won't) is for the Bengals to hype Carman enough so someone will trade for him.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

So much this ☝️

Volson has the work ethic and mentality that Carman the Entitled didn't and I don't think he got them in the off season.

What I would like to see (but won't) is for the Bengals to hype Carman enough so someone will trade for him.

So you think the stuff Pollack has said is bs?

I've not put Pollack as one to do coach speak.

1 hour ago, Kingspoint said:

Le Tigre and spicoli, what do you think of Carmen right now?

TBH…I can’t make an assessment. My limited looks at him from last season, shows an upper-physical ability specimen, but one who simply could not block to save his life. Out of position, out of shape, non-focused…call it what you want. He simply didn’t cut it. 

He may now be more dialed-in, maybe in better shape. If so, he should be at least in a position to contribute. I always remember that not every lineman ever made is a Swiss Army Knife—their original/most comfortable position, may not be where they land. It may always be square peg in round hole. 

He definitely had the goods at Clemson to blast people around in the run and the pass protection. That was obvious. Have to see what goes on during the first few weeks. 

I would have had Spain in camp for at least a reminder to him that the leash is short. Volson is a project, and going musical chairs at LG between an out of position not-even-a-guard, and a project, isn’t a solid proposition. 

Will let you know more after the first few weeks. 

4 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

TBH…I can’t make an assessment. My limited looks at him from last season, shows an upper-physical ability specimen, but one who simply could not block to save his life. Out of position, out of shape, non-focused…call it what you want. He simply didn’t cut it. 

He may now be more dialed-in, maybe in better shape. If so, he should be at least in a position to contribute. I always remember that not every lineman ever made is a Swiss Army Knife—their original/most comfortable position, may not be where they land. It may always be square peg in round hole. 

He definitely had the goods at Clemson to blast people around in the run and the pass protection. That was obvious. Have to see what goes on during the first few weeks. 

I would have had Spain in camp for at least a reminder to him that the leash is short. Volson is a project, and going musical chairs at LG between an out of position not-even-a-guard, and a project, isn’t a solid proposition. 

Will let you know more after the first few weeks. 

Well, as you know, Rookie Linemen are always bullied.  They always underestimate how much weight-room time they need to be spending in the off-season.  Hopefully, that's all he did this off-season.

On 8/8/2022 at 6:06 PM, BlackJesus said:

On 8/9/2022 at 10:15 AM, High School Harry said:

So much this ☝️

:whistle:

Doesn't look like Carman is any better than last year.  Just lost between the ears.  I'm not too excited about Volson since he was playing mop up duty.  At least he has an idea of what to do out there.  Look forward to seeing him against starters at some point.

I really hope they aren't stubborn and keep trying to force Carman in there.  He was a rotten draft pick then and a rotten player now.

Archived