Lets talk about Jackson Carman

14 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Not sure who they might keep as a 3rd TE.  Maybe just Hurst and Sample if he's really g2g in 2 weeks.  Whoever was out there didn't help the OL much either.

Speaking of TE, any word on Mitchell Wilcox? He went out early in the game with an injury.

I dunno. Good NFL players don’t normally take a season to begin to look good.  It has the same feel as Billy Price and Ced Ogbuehi, guys we kept waiting to develop that never did. 

Sure, it is still too early to pass a verdict but my experience is guys either get it quickly or they don’t.  

The one thing going for him is he is still only 22 years old which is practically an infant for an NFL lineman. 

7 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I dunno. Good NFL players don’t normally take a season to begin to look good.  It has the same feel as Billy Price and Ced Ogbuehi, guys we kept waiting to develop that never did. 

Sure, it is still too early to pass a verdict but my experience is guys either get it quickly or they don’t.  

The one thing going for him is he is still only 22 years old which is practically an infant for an NFL lineman. 

Valid thoughts. If we look back to last years camp Cartman looked bad, Hill looked Meh and Smith looked good. Smith then got hurt and is hurt again but that initial camp analysis looks the same now?

4 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Valid thoughts. If we look back to last years camp Cartman looked bad, Hill looked Meh and Smith looked good. Smith then got hurt and is hurt again but that initial camp analysis looks the same now?

You would think a 2nd round rookie would look considerably better than a 4th or 6th round rookie.  That hasn’t been the case. 

The scary precedent is Michael Jordan.  The Bengals stick with a guy who doesn’t have it until something horrible happens.  Carman gives off Jordan vibes.  Terrible at pass protection and shows little improvement no

matter the effort of the coaching staff. 

8 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

The scary precedent is Michael Jordan

A bull rush on a weak LG wearing roller skates is what caused Burrow's injury.

That's why I feel more comfortable with a country strong guy who used to lift trains off railroad tracks for his family business (Volson). 

My concern on JC is it seems like he has little to no situational awareness. He doesn't pick up stunts, and doesn't seem to be aware of what's going on around him. Did Volson look better? Sure, but it was against practice squad guys. I'd like to see him get some first half reps next Saturday against better players and see how he does.

At the beginning of the off-season, many thought—myself included—that a prime pickup would be a bonafide center. After Karras, relax mission accomplished. 

Then, with a decent number of other centers still available in FA and the draft, I couldn’t help but think: Karras has played just as much—if not more—LG as center at the NFL level. Why not get another center, and solve the LG gap at the same time? 

No..no…no, Carman will do the job..don’t mess with that. 

What do they do now? No more centers to try out and make the switch, and only comfort blanket Spain out there as a possibility. 

Hope they can stitch the left side together and hope for the best it seems. 

5 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

The scary precedent is Michael Jordan.  The Bengals stick with a guy who doesn’t have it until something horrible happens.  Carman gives off Jordan vibes.  Terrible at pass protection and shows little improvement no

matter the effort of the coaching staff. 

His hand placement is slow and erractic.

Strength, length or footwork mean less  if you have horrible hand placement.

We'll see if it improves this week..

8 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

At the beginning of the off-season, many thought—myself included—that a prime pickup would be a bonafide center. After Karras, relax mission accomplished. 

Then, with a decent number of other centers still available in FA and the draft, I couldn’t help but think: Karras has played just as much—if not more—LG as center at the NFL level. Why not get another center, and solve the LG gap at the same time? 

No..no…no, Carman will do the job..don’t mess with that. 

What do they do now? No more centers to try out and make the switch, and only comfort blanket Spain out there as a possibility. 

Hope they can stitch the left side together and hope for the best it seems. 

Isn't that the Bengals story?  Walk right up to the line of possible success and never step over it.

30 minutes ago, membengal said:

I'm pretty much writing Adeniji off.

Bengals always make an addition or two from final cuts of other teams.

Good chance a decent/better O lineman is cut and we will get him if he lasts long enough

for us to claim him.

If Carman was not a second round pick and a home town hero, he would be on even thinner ice.

Now I think they don't know quite what to do with him.

On 8/15/2022 at 12:47 PM, I_C_Deadpeople said:

This is why I always advocate to drfat OL very year (and perhaps more than one). You just cannot ever have enough good ones. Scary to think our crappy depth guys were our starters last year. 

What did that Ben Brown (UDFA if I have his name right) look like in game 1?

My guess is his football career is over before it started

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/8/15/23306793/ben-brown-ir-bengals-roster-news-ole-miss-rebels-football

• 2 weeks later...

Preseason game 1 - Every offensive snap: Gotta watch on youtube sadly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w89XmBKfOw

Every Volson Snap Preseason game 2:  Gotta watch on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pElbxgyDuJU

Everyone Carman  Snap Preseason week 3: Gotta watch on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I-U_fOyrak

I think Volson likely has this job with him having a higher floor, but I think he is at best a Q Spain level talent. 

Both of these dudes fucking suck.

I dunno how anyone can watch Volson getting waxed by future state farm agents late in the second game and think he is good. he fucking sucks too.

both these dudes suck at football.

its a bummer.

its also almost all pointless, both had holding penalties (volsons was thrown with holding on other linemen and they just called it on the other guy, you can see the other ump throwing flag at his feet.) both shit thier pants on a stunt. both got beat several times, both have TERRIBLE pass blocking grades, minus volsons second half against the scrubs on the cards where he just double teamed guys all day.

neither guy got to play in a game with smart vets around them, total shit show.

call spain for the first 4 weeks of the season and hope one of these idiots can get their shit together in another few months.

carman sucks.

volson sucks.

everyone loses.

Volson gonna get the start 100% tho due to the high floor in his play.

Welp, the Bengals have played some allegedly high ceiling/low floor guys on the OL over the past several years.  

It hasn’t gone well.  

Even recently starters like Hopkins and Spain are still sitting around figuring out where they will get their next paycheck. Starting Volson is a no brainer.  Does he suck too?  Maybe, but we know Carman is a disaster and has shown little to no improvement.  

From what I saw Volson struggled mightily when faced with blitzes, stunts, and odd looks from defenses.  Playing against a Martindale D in the preseason was a great opportunity for Volson.  Hopefully he is a quick learner.  He’s gonna see a lot of crazy looks starting next week.  He’s the weak link and every D coordinator will look to expose him.  Again, hope he is a quick learner. 

30 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Welp, the Bengals have played some allegedly high ceiling/low floor guys on the OL over the past several years.  

It hasn’t gone well.  

Even recently starters like Hopkins and Spain are still sitting around figuring out where they will get their next paycheck. Starting Volson is a no brainer.  Does he suck too?  Maybe, but we know Carman is a disaster and has shown little to no improvement.  

From what I saw Volson struggled mightily when faced with blitzes, stunts, and odd looks from defenses.  Playing against a Martindale D in the preseason was a great opportunity for Volson.  Hopefully he is a quick learner.  He’s gonna see a lot of crazy looks starting next week.  He’s the weak link and every D coordinator will look to expose him.  Again, hope he is a quick learner. 

the only thing that makes starting volson a "no brainer" in my opinion is a point of view that factors in last season or non football related things, or not watching Volson getting cooked like bacon even against son to be cut talent, otherwise, they both suck and carman has a higher ceiling, volson a high floor. 

Also dont see Carman as a no brainer, its a lose lose with thier current status.

and i think, as bengals fans, we have it built in our heads to think of everything as looooong term, arguments could be made for either guy being the long term project solution i suppose. but we need to win now. the time is now. and neither guy got to play in a game situation surrounded by the smart vets theyd be with in the season.

so do either of them miss a stunt if jonah and karras are by their sides? whose to say.

Every DC on the planet has a target on this line either way.. i hope mixon and perine i ready to block and chip.

9 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

so do either of them miss a stunt if jonah and karras are by their sides? whose to say.

From what I have watched Volson seems much less likely to get toasted one-on-one.  I am hopeful that Volson will learn and improve.  Carman has shown that he has not.  

Saying Volson sucks is premature.  Maybe he will suck, but damn…be a fan and give the guy a shot. 

Just now, UncleEarl said:

From what I have watched Volson seems much less likely to get toasted one-on-one.  I am hopeful that Volson will learn and improve.  Carman has shown that he has not.  

Saying Volson sucks is premature.  Maybe he will suck, but damn…be a fan and give the guy a shot. 

i suppose you missed much of the giants game then, he was burnt regularly, by terrible talent, which earned him the 20.6 pass block grade for that game.

i mean guys ran right by him.

and he has had 2 chances in games, well 1, the first game was pointless, they brought 3 and didnt blitz in the second half of the first game, he was left to double some someone most of the pass snaps, i feel like we only need two preseason games and i feel like rosters should be cut to 75 before the preseason games start, watching guys run bland offense and defense against eachothers 90th best roster guys isnt doing anyone any favors.

am i supposed to give him a chance against Heyward and Watt? im not comfortable with that. after watching his display some of the worst pass blocking there is against bad players, i have some real concerns.

id love to be a fly on the wall in the Oline room going over film, mind you that 20.6 pass block grade doesnt count the hold that he didnt get due to two guys holding on the play, or that grade would be even lower, and i mention that because he held, he isnt more talented because someone else also held, if that makes sense.

i super hope he is the quickest learner like you said, i hope you are right, id love for him to work himself into the fold and be serviceable or btter and takes the job by a mile. i have no ties or love for Carman, he fucked himself coming into cam fat and dumb last year, and then the bengals fucked him by moving him and playing musical linemen around him, he learned nothing last year, i cant imagine anyone did.

So if its Volson, i hope for the best and wish him luck and am rooting for him. but whats on film is dogshit, same as carman.

Archived