Lets talk about Jackson Carman

11 hours ago, GoBengals said:

i suppose you missed much of the giants game then, he was burnt regularly, by terrible talent, which earned him the 20.

i super hope he is the quickest learner like you said, i hope you are right, id love for him to work himself into the fold and be serviceable or btter and takes the job by a mile.  

So if its Volson, i hope for the best and wish him luck and am rooting for him. but whats on film is dogshit, same as carman.

My experience has been a guy either has it day one or he doesn’t.  I really can’t think of a player who looked like shit in a pre season game as a rookie that turned into a decent player.   I am not talking simple rookie mistakes, more like they just have no situational awareness or NFL level athletic ability. 

I can still remember watching Cedric Ogbuehi as a rookie not getting off the line of scrimmage and letting DEs just run past him barely touched.  On paper he should have been a good player but it never happened.  He just couldn’t play. 

Didn't Aaron Donald get so pissed at being blocked by Volson the he ripped someone's helmet off and beat Volson over the head with it?

One thing I did read in the thread was Carman perhaps (likely) to still be suffering from aftereffects of the Wuhan Whoopie.

Makes sense.

If Volson falters, and he may, Carman will be in there real quick.

You also know the plays and line calls will be made to help the rookie out.

My biggest issue is that Carmen's problems seem to be more his physical ability to play the position, he's been getting pushed back more than I like . With Volson I know we are going to get rookie growing pains on missed assignments and things like that but he 's showing the physical capiblity to play the position. 

Honestly I've wanted Carman to succeed but I'm not sure that is going to happen at this going and wonder if bringing Spain back on another 1 year deal and let Volson be the 1st guy off the bench?

I'd hate to cut losses on a guy we drafted just last yar as early as the 2nd but he has not shown any signs of improvement and may actually have gotten worse.

41 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

My biggest issue is that Carmen's problems seem to be more his physical ability to play the position, he's been getting pushed back more than I like . With Volson I know we are going to get rookie growing pains on missed assignments and things like that but he 's showing the physical capiblity to play the position. 

Honestly I've wanted Carman to succeed but I'm not sure that is going to happen at this going and wonder if bringing Spain back on another 1 year deal and let Volson be the 1st guy off the bench?

I'd hate to cut losses on a guy we drafted just last yar as early as the 2nd but he has not shown any signs of improvement and may actually have gotten worse.

Pissing Arrogant Aaron Donald off so much that he, Donald, beat him over the head with a helmet is good enough for me.

Voltron earned it whereas Flounder Carman had it handed to him and couldn't keep it.

I'm wondering if Spain is damaged goods somehow.

I really hope we can trade Carman in that a fresh start elsewhere would be a good thing for him.

Would love to get a good look at Leatherwood via the same fresh start philosophy if we would not have to absorb his entire contract hit.

I think he has the potential (hate that word) to be a strong first man off the bench along the O line and we still have

some borderline characters on it as of now.

Disclaimer... I am wrong far more often than I am right.

1 minute ago, High School Harry said:

Pissing Arrogant Aaron Donald off so much that he, Donald, beat him over the head with a helmet is good enough for me.

Voltron earned it whereas Flounder Carman had it handed to him and couldn't keep it.

I really hope we can trade Carman in that a fresh start elsewhere would be a good thing for him.

Would love to get a good look at Leatherwood via the same fresh start philosophy if we would not have to absorb his entire contract hit.

I think he has the potential (hate that word) to be a strong first man off the bench along the O line and we still have

I was more under the impression that Donald did that after Collins did, and it was more about that than anything Volson did

14 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Not sure a fresh start helps Cartman, the guy has been handed a golden opportunity two camps in a row. No way they cut or trade him though at this point. I think he gets this year still to try and make lemonade from the lemon. 

49 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I doubt it.  My guess is that if they want to sign him, they will do it after the first game,  Right now, his Minimum Salary is 1.12 million, which would be guaranteed if he's on the roster for the first game.  if they sign him in week 2, then its a game to game contract.

1 hour ago, kennethmw said:

I doubt it.  My guess is that if they want to sign him, they will do it after the first game,  Right now, his Minimum Salary is 1.12 million, which would be guaranteed if he's on the roster for the first game.  if they sign him in week 2, then its a game to game contract.

Makes a lot of sense.

Thank you

hats-off-salute-smiley-emoticon.gif

On 8/29/2022 at 11:01 PM, SF2 said:

My experience has been a guy either has it day one or he doesn’t.  I really can’t think of a player who looked like shit in a pre season game as a rookie that turned into a decent player.   I am not talking simple rookie mistakes, more like they just have no situational awareness or NFL level athletic ability. 

I can still remember watching Cedric Ogbuehi as a rookie not getting off the line of scrimmage and letting DEs just run past him barely touched.  On paper he should have been a good player but it never happened.  He just couldn’t play. 

Peneil Sewell looked ordinary early last year then studly the second half of the season. Might be because he sat out in 2020 but he certainly improved over the course of the season. 

5 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Peneil Sewell looked ordinary early last year then studly the second half of the season. Might be because he sat out in 2020 but he certainly improved over the course of the season. 

IIRC didn't they start him at LT and then move him to the right side?

56 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

I like Scharping as the first off the bench. Now sign Leatherwood too. 🤓

Yep.  Would we still have to eat some of Leatherwood's contract now?

Seems like he's been available long enough now that if someone was

interested he would be gone by now.

Could we put him on the practice squad to see how he does under

our O line coach?  Feed him some glass and see if he shapes up?

18 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Think Leatherwood was claimed by the Bears. Did it not go through?

18 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Raiders eat the Leatherhead contract. He starts anew with any team. The Kechup Whisperer was on Sirius talking about why he never liked Leatherhead as a pro but I missed it. 

[url]https://publish.twitter.com/?query=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FKelseyLConway%2Fstatus%2F1565024254558699523&widget=Tweet[/url]

Volson and second-year guard Jackson Carman competed for the job all offseason. It was Carman’s job to lose as he entered the offseason and the fourth-round pick beat him out of his job.

"He was ascending the whole training camp period,” offensive coordinator Brian Callahan said of the decision. “He played well. He practiced well. He continually got better, and he showed all the things we would want to see from a guy who’s going to start at guard for us. He’s tough, dependable, consistent, all the things we’re looking for from those linemen. He earned that job."

[url]https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/how-cordell-volson-beat-jackson-carman-for-bengals-starting-left-guard-job/ar-AA11kta5[/url]

"It’s a good lesson for (Carman) that your job is never solidified, especially if you don’t perform the way you need to perform at this level,” Callahan said. “Your job is always open, and you have to fight for it. You have to fight for your job every day. Cordell was one who played better and more consistent."

In the short period of time Volson has blocked for Joe Burrow, he’s shown the third-year franchise quarterback what he’s capable of.

And after taking 70 sacks in the 2021 season, Burrow is pleased with his new starting offensive line, including Volson.

"Big, strong, works really hard," Burrow said of what he’s seen from Volson. “Really excited about what he’s going to become. He’s a big North Dakota boy that is fun to play with. High energy. He’s in his playbook, you can tell. Knows his stuff so he’s going to keep getting better and better.”

5 hours ago, sparky151 said:

and its pretty commonly spoken of linemen often take a ear or two to adapt to the game, the 100% complete opposite of what SF2 stated, but also only 30% of first and second round OL picks pan out so its a crap shoot still.

5 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

I like Scharping as the first off the bench. Now sign Leatherwood too. 🤓

leatherwood fucking sucks, his scouting report said he sucked, he came in the league and sucked, his scouting report reads like a lazy dude just wants some cash and to go home. leatherwood might be the embodiment of everything we want no where near our locker room honestly.

• Mechanical and lacking explosion into initial contact.
  • Needs to guard against long initial lateral steps in run game.
  • Athletic but movement lacks twitch in tight quarters.
  • Needs to improve play strength contact balance.
  • Doesn't play with consistent fire and passion as finisher.
  • Punch needs to punish and not push the enemy.
  • Would benefit from attacking rushers earlier with his length.
  • Slows feet prematurely against speed rushers.
  • Needs better hand positioning in general.
  • Disappointing power to separate and redirect when rush hits his edge.

4 hours ago, High School Harry said:

someone already said but once clearing waivers contract is over, if he was waived it goes through the draft order basically for waiver claim, and they take his contract over (iirc) if cut dead money is on the last team and free and clear like a free agent.

1 hour ago, Kingspoint said:

[url]https://publish.twitter.com/?query=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FKelseyLConway%2Fstatus%2F1565024254558699523&widget=Tweet[/url]

Volson and second-year guard Jackson Carman competed for the job all offseason. It was Carman’s job to lose as he entered the offseason and the fourth-round pick beat him out of his job.

"He was ascending the whole training camp period,” offensive coordinator Brian Callahan said of the decision. “He played well. He practiced well. He continually got better, and he showed all the things we would want to see from a guy who’s going to start at guard for us. He’s tough, dependable, consistent, all the things we’re looking for from those linemen. He earned that job."

[url]https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/how-cordell-volson-beat-jackson-carman-for-bengals-starting-left-guard-job/ar-AA11kta5[/url]

"It’s a good lesson for (Carman) that your job is never solidified, especially if you don’t perform the way you need to perform at this level,” Callahan said. “Your job is always open, and you have to fight for it. You have to fight for your job every day. Cordell was one who played better and more consistent."

In the short period of time Volson has blocked for Joe Burrow, he’s shown the third-year franchise quarterback what he’s capable of.

And after taking 70 sacks in the 2021 season, Burrow is pleased with his new starting offensive line, including Volson.

"Big, strong, works really hard," Burrow said of what he’s seen from Volson. “Really excited about what he’s going to become. He’s a big North Dakota boy that is fun to play with. High energy. He’s in his playbook, you can tell. Knows his stuff so he’s going to keep getting better and better.”

yea he never once said he was good. those are all generic pleasantries if you didnt notice. and twice mentioned essentially hoping he is better in the future. Never even said he was talented, skilled, etc. 

I do sure as hell hope he either catches on quick, or his shortcomings are hidden with talent around him. i am terrified of who lines up in front of him week 1 alone, Heyward, Watt, Ogunjibi? then highsmith behind them, Bush? Jack? jesus...

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Volson is better than Carman.  No one is arguing that.  Is Volson any good is the question.  We know Carman is not.  Hope he is.  

Coaches are going to praise their players in this situation.  Coachspeak.  We’ll see next week. 

IMO, we dont actually know anything about Carman, aside from maybe he is a lazy dumbass, which i agree may be enough.

but talent wise, he hasnt had a fair chance to do absolutely anything in the nfl. come in, not ony changes sides but position, with a new scheme and oline coach new player in the system thats new to his right, bad player to his left, then like 4-5 players end up rotating new him  all season, he is also injured.

comes back in shape and working, practices with 1s all camp, plays game likely with covid since he popped 2 days later, with all new players around him, not who he has been practicing when, dinged his elbow and caught covid, out for 5 more days, seems he had symptoms, considering he couldnt go the day after the game before he popped positive, i didnt pop pisitive until 2 days into shitty symptoms for mine and i was vaxxed. So he sits all week, misses game, them is splitting time with both units and back at it after not being able to work for a week, and plays and entire game, against with shitty guys around him, and did better than Volson in that game than volson did in his full game by like 5%, both mind you, were terrible.

so we know this:

isnt a genius mega star who can be thrown into anything and succeed, and he was a dumbass as a rookie and came in fat.

had they had real camp his rookie year and he been in shape, and played his LG spot they planned him for, and didnt ahve to play musical linemen, maybe his career trajectory takes a different angle... maybe it goes worse somehow..

but to say he isnt talented is like saying burrow sucked his rookie year... poor guy never had a chance.

now none of that matters, i know, the talent Volson faced at uh... *checks glasses* james madison univeristy, and indiana state, is gonna keep my up at night with the future HOF talents he is gonna face week 1.

I wil lsay, i assume the team is smart enough to be sending help to him on every play, TE on that side blocking down, RB chipping, etc..

I am dying to have something to hang a hat on that Volson isnt going to be terrible, because as much as everyone is pretending, he was a trashcan in the preseason. 

And unless they Cut carman, after getting the new guy, its pretty clear the team doesnt think there is a huge gap between Volson and Carman either. 

If they do cut carman, i have a feeling we may be counting our days before the claimed guy gets a shot in there.

if they cut carman im 1000% fine with that, he fucked up, then we fucked him over, then bad luck hit him, none of which means we owe him another second on the roster of course.

#keepjoealive

Archived