Training Camp Thread 3 - News and Obs Aug. 7 - Aug. 11

4 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Practice during the regular season is different and ok, since related to the next game. Its preseason practices and games that I'm not a fan of for star players (for young unproven guys it's fine).  

My theory is that a good portion of a team's yearly success is based on how many key players they lose during this period of the year. So some teams would literally be better off doing nothing and going to the beach all Summer, than losing key players in relatively meaningless practices & preseason games. 

I would have a list of 10 "vital players" who never have any contact and very light practices during this time, and lots of rest or drills alone (like Chase on the juggs machine etc).

On the Bengals those would be (Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Mixon, Jonah, Hendrickson, Hill, Reader, Wilson, Chido). Basically guys that can not be replaced easily if injured. If these 10 avoid injury going into week 1, then the off-season is a success in my view. As 50% of the battle is just not losing any stars in August. 

You need to be busted in the chops at least once during pre-season.

4 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

^ Hendrickson is basically TJ Watt, but who can also stop the run, and for half the price. Arguably the best FA signing in Bengals history. 

Especially when you consider how crappy our D-Lines have been for decades.

3 hours ago, dex said:

We all obviously miss Burrow being out there, but Brandon Allen certainly seems to be throwing the ball much better now than he was earlier in training camp.

He needs the reps.

It's a 20-game season from now on for all of the Bengals' starters.

59 minutes ago, spicoli said:

"I wake up every day with a chip on my
shoulder" he said. "I watched 251 people
go ahead of me in the draft and every
time I think of it, it makes me angry."

Yeah gimme some of that!

He's in the right spot.  He has a Defensive Coordinator and a Head Coach and an Owner who can appreciate that.

8 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Practice during the regular season is different and ok, since related to the next game. Its preseason practices and games that I'm not a fan of for star players (for young unproven guys it's fine).  

My theory is that a good portion of a team's yearly success is based on how many key players they lose during this period of the year. So some teams would literally be better off doing nothing and going to the beach all Summer, than losing key players in relatively meaningless practices & preseason games. 

I would have a list of 10 "vital players" who never have any contact and very light practices during this time, and lots of rest or drills alone (like Chase on the juggs machine etc).

On the Bengals those would be (Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Mixon, Jonah, Hendrickson, Hill, Reader, Wilson, Chido). Basically guys that can not be replaced easily if injured. If these 10 avoid injury going into week 1, then the off-season is a success in my view. As 50% of the battle is just not losing any stars in August. 

Not saying the logic there is entirely wrong but I think that sends a terrible message to the team.  "These guys actually matter unlike you scrubs". IDK if putting them on a pedestal like that is a good idea, it takes more than 10 "vital players" to win games & I can't see telling the other 40-something guys on the roster that they don't matter as much.  

Fact is any one of those 10 can still get hurt and then the guy you've been treating as disposable is asked to step in and start.  Not a good look at all IMHO.

8 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Not saying the logic there is entirely wrong but I think that sends a terrible message to the team.  "These guys actually matter unlike you scrubs". IDK if putting them on a pedestal like that is a good idea, it takes more than 10 "vital players" to win games & I can't see telling the other 40-something guys on the roster that they don't matter as much.  

Fact is any one of those 10 can still get hurt and then the guy you've been treating as disposable is asked to step in and start.  Not a good look at all IMHO.

All the guys trying to make teams totally understand.  They want all the preseason time, especially the games, as they want what they can do on tape so other teams can see it. 

A proven vet should play just enough so they are sharp for the first game. 

6 hours ago, membengal said:

That it's obvious that everyone after Boyd is no better than any of the others is why I want to trade for a 4th WR.  Again, Jaelen Reagor is an affordable, controllable with high-upside choice who is available.  I'd rather have him than Preston Williams.

Archived