The First "Unofficial" Depth Chart of the 2022 Camp

22 hours ago, dex said:

The Bengals have made it very clear that they do not want Spain back. The fact that no one else has signed Spain yet pretty much tells you how the rest of the league views Spain too.

That has always been absolutely, totally absurd logic:  "Because nobody did this, that shows you what so-and-so is worth".  Please try to use some actual evidence of a person's ability and fit into a system rather than such absurd logic as this.

Year after year, Veteran Guards are always the last quality players to be signed during any off-season.  Veteran Linebackers are the next-to-last.  That's the most likely reason he remains unsigned.  Scheme means a lot.  The Bengals signed three Offensive Linemen who fit Pollack's and Taylor's scheme.  They may feel that molding Carmen would have more upside than changing Spain, given that they had a year to work on Spain and his adjustment to Pollack's system.  Don't know, but it has nothing to do with Spain's talent-level.  He wasn't the problem last year on the Offensive Line.

We are now going to see a very inexperienced left side of the Offensive line with Jonah and Carmen.  Pressure will still come from that side, and that will be the side to attack Defensively, at least early on in the season.

No comments really about the WR depth after Boyd.

I don't like our Receivers after Boyd, and I'm not thrilled about any of our TE's, either.

Burrow is exceptional and can make anyone look really good, but if we can help him out then it should be done.

Here's an affordable idea that is available to be made:

Jalen Reagor is a 23-year old WR with 4.3 speed, 5'11, 200lbs.  For two years he was misused in Philadelphia just as every other Offensive weapon was also under poor Offensive Coordinators and poor Head Coaching.  I do like the Head Coach for Philly and I think he'll do much better this year, but he struggled a ton last year changing the Offense almost on a weekly basis.

Currently, Reagor is set to be 8th in targets on Philadelphia behind A. J. Brown, Davonta Smith, Dallas Goedert, Miles Danders, Quez Watkins, Kenneth Gainwell and Zach Pascal.  This makes him a tradeable asset for Philadelphia (a run-first Offense, btw), the Eagles being perhaps the most willing trade partner in the NFL any time the trade timeline is open, so they are always ready to listen to reasonable offers.

Reagor is inexpensive and under control, making $1.8M this season, $2.4M next, a team option in 2024 before becoming a Free Agent in 2025.  With the potential that we don't have enough money to retain Boyd and/or Higgins, and it highly likely that we do not retain Boyd, the Bengals need a cheaper option to take over the Slot Receiver role, and Reagor can play either Boyd or Higgin's role, except for the Redzone target area which they both excel at, especially Boyd.  But, with the new Offensive Line, I could see us running the ball inside the 10 more frequently.

Boyd earns $8.7M in 2022 and another $8.9M in 2023 before becoming an Unrestricted Free Agent.  Higgins earns $1.4M in 2022 and $1.8 in 2023 before becoming an Unresctricted Free Agent.  

Reagor is already better than our 4th best WR, whoever you want to believe that is.  He's a thousand times better with a thousand times more upside.  When Chase, Higgins and Boyd miss a game, and they will, it would be a lot better to have Reagor take their place than anyone else that is on the team right now.  Reagor, going into that ever-important "breakout" 3rd season in the NFL, could make Boyd expendable for 2023, saving the team $6.5M that could be used to help retain whoever (adding an extension to Higgins before he hits Free Agency).  As the most expensive commodity in the NFL after QB's right now, and almost as much because you only need to pay a lot for one QB, but you need multiple Receivers, that when an opportunity like this shows up and fits a need, we should pounce on it.  We aren't going to be drafting high for a long, long time, so opportunities like Reagor won't come along often.  

Jason Kelce and the team decided to have a small surgery now that will keep him out for 6-8 weeks.  We certainly must have a C/G (Adeniji, Hill or Prince, and maybe a conditional 6th Rd pick in 2023) we could trade to them equal to a player that Philadelphia is giving up (their 8th in targets on a team that will throw less than most in the NFL).

I cringe to think of Taylor or Thomas having to play for 6 games or even 17 games and the playoffs.  Would feel so much better if Reagor were here for the next three seasons.  

Hurst didn't prove anything in Atlanta from what I saw of him.

7 minutes ago, Kingspoint said:

I don't like our Receivers after Boyd, and I'm not thrilled about any of our TE's, either.

Burrow is exceptional and can make anyone look really good, but if we can help him out then it should be done.

Jalen Reagor is a 23-year old WR with 4.3 speed, 5'11, 200lbs.  For two years he was misused in Philadelphia just as every other Offensive weapon was also under poor Offensive Coordinators and poor Head Coaching.  I do like the Head Coach for Philly and I think he'll do much better this year, but he struggled a ton last year changing the Offense almost on a weekly basis.

Currently, Reagor is set to be 8th in targets on Philadelphia behind A. J. Brown, Davonta Smith, Dallas Goedert, Miles Danders, Quez Watkins, Kenneth Gainwell and Zach Pascal.  This makes him a tradeable asset for Philadelphia (a run-first Offense, btw), the Eagles being perhaps the most willing trade partner in the NFL any time the trade timeline is open, so they are always ready to listen to reasonable offers.

Reagor is inexpensive and under control, making $1.8M this season, $2.4M next, a team option in 2024 before becoming a Free Agent in 2025.  With the potential that we don't have enough money to retain Boyd and/or Higgins, and it highly likely that we do not retain Boyd, the Bengals need a cheaper option to take over the Slot Receiver role, and Reagor can play either Boyd or Higgin's role, except for the Redzone target area which they both excel at, especially Boyd.  But, with the new Offensive Line, I could see us running the ball inside the 10 more frequently.

Boyd earns $8.7M in 2022 and another $8.9M in 2023 before becoming an Unrestricted Free Agent.  Higgins earns $1.4M in 2022 and $1.8 in 2023 before becoming an Unresctricted Free Agent.  

Reagor is already better than our 4th best WR, whoever you want to believe that is.  He's a thousand times better with a thousand times more upside.  When Chase, Higgins and Boyd miss a game, and they will, it would be a lot better to have Reagor take their place than anyone else that is on the team right now.  Reagor, going into that ever-important "breakout" 3rd season in the NFL, could make Boyd expendable for 2023, saving the team $6.5M that could be used to help retain whoever (adding an extension to Higgins before he hits Free Agency).  As the most expensive commodity in the NFL after QB's right now, and almost as much because you only need to pay a lot for one QB, but you need multiple Receivers, that when an opportunity like this shows up and fits a need, we should pounce on it.  We aren't going to be drafting high for a long, long time, so opportunities like Reagor won't come along often.  

Jason Kelce and the team decided to have a small surgery now that will keep him out for 6-8 weeks.  We certainly must have a C/G (Adeniji, Hill or Prince, and maybe a conditional 6th Rd pick in 2023) we could trade to them equal to a player that Philadelphia is giving up (their 8th in targets on a team that will throw less than most in the NFL).

I cringe to think of Taylor or Thomas having to play for 6 games or even 17 games and the playoffs.  Would feel so much better if Reagor were here for the next three seasons.  

You didn’t mention John Ross. 

🥷

6 hours ago, membengal said:

I mean, Reader at the level he plays really is borderline irreplaceable. 

Oh I know I was just hoping that Shelvin would grow into the role so that the drop off would not be so bad it would hurt us but also so when Reader's contract is up Shelvin would be ok to take that role full time

56 minutes ago, Kingspoint said:

Jalen Reagor is a 23-year old WR with 4.3 speed, 5'11, 200lbs.

The Eagles have supposedly expressed interest in Bates. So why not trade them Jessie for Reagor + a 3rd rounder? Or Reagor & Cam Jurgens (a rookie C they took who the Bengals had interest in) 

48 minutes ago, Cricket said:

I actually wouldn't hate it tbh. I think Zac could figure out a way to use him. 

41 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

The Eagles have supposedly expressed interest in Bates. So why not trade them Jessie for Reagor + a 3rd rounder? Or Reagor & Cam Jurgens (a rookie C they took who the Bengals had interest in) 

I actually wouldn't hate it tbh. I think Zac could figure out a way to use him. 

I don't think we can trade Bates because he hasn't signed his tender.  I think that's where we are at with him.  I know there's some issues why we can't trade him right now.  I'm sure membengal knows.   Their Starting C, Jason Kelce, is out 6-8 weeks, so they can't trade Jurgens.

1 hour ago, Cricket said:

🥷

That's a guy that I was totally wrong about.  Thought for a moment that he could be someone who isn't injury-prone in the pros just because he was injury-prone in college.  Don't draft injury-prone players from college.

On 8/8/2022 at 6:10 PM, Kingspoint said:

I read weeks ago that Evans will be the 3rd Down back and not Perine.  Perine may get the nod should Mixon get hurt, but that Evans will be the 3rd Down back.

As it stands perine is the 3rd down back. According to zac and lapham, and camp and preseason is evans chance to try for it. But it’s perine to lose it sounded like. 

On 8/8/2022 at 5:22 PM, BlackJesus said:

The only surprise might be putting Bates on there when he isn't under contract at the moment.

Another team did that with someone and the coach said he is on the team whether it’s signed or not so he has to be listed. I thought it was odd. 

On 8/8/2022 at 6:16 PM, Kingspoint said:

So, we opted not to resign Spain, who is currently a Free Agent, as nobody has signed him, yet.

Correct. 

On 8/8/2022 at 6:19 PM, Kingspoint said:

Will Morgan continue to return Kicks?

If so, he'll have limited reps at WR, even if one of the Top-3 miss a game.

It doesn’t sound like it I forget who lapham said was likely to do it. 

On 8/8/2022 at 6:21 PM, Kingspoint said:

I can't see Carmen, no matter how much he improves this season, being anywhere near as good as Spain would be playing alongside this O-Line and another year under Pollack.

Lol. Then you should get those eyes checked. 

On 8/8/2022 at 6:32 PM, dex said:

The Bengals have made it very clear that they do not want Spain back. The fact that no one else has signed Spain yet pretty much tells you how the rest of the league views Spain too.

it’s odd. Seemed like a done deal. 

im hoping there are a few scenarios at play:

1. we made an offer of a year. He wanted more. So is taking other offers. And waiting until camps are close to done to pick so he can skip that gay shit. 

2. we wanted to see how young guys and camp went before doing a signing and he is hanging tight. Or maybe waiting to see everyone’s health first. 

3. hope not but did talks beak down and they split that way. 

who knows.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2022 at 4:27 PM, Kingspoint said:

While Reagor would have instantly become the 4th best WR on the Bengals' roster, including Hurst, it's that contract and potential of Reagor I was most interested in adding to the Bengals.  They are going to need 1st Round talent at the WR position as extensions begin next season and Reagor remains inexpensive for two more seasons, including his own extension as a player who does not have a lot of success on his resume to date and unlikely to add significant numbers to that resume over the next two seasons filling in off the bench and in 4 WR sets.  Reagor's issues have been 100% the fault of his coaching staffs and Quarterbacks his first two seasons.  I've watched him game-to-game intensely, only to see him repeatedly put into situations to fail.  As often as Adam Thielen is likely to get injured, it's probably that his chances for getting targets will increase signifcantly in Minnesota.  How much better he would do under Taylor and Burrow, though, will remain a mystery.  Cousins is a huge upgrade from what he's had.  Zimmer is gone, which helps a ton for the Minnesota passing game.  Great move by the Vikings.  The NFC is so wide open when it comes to the Wild Card playoff teams.  The Vikings are in position to grab one of them and as Reagor's current contract unfolds, he's going to be a major part of the Kevin O'Connell time period.

August 31st, 2022 at 1:11pm CST by Sam Robinson

Despite Jalen Reagor ending up on the Eagles’ 53-man roster Tuesday, he will not play a third season with the team. The Vikings will acquire the former first-round pick, Adam Schefter of ESPN.com tweets.

USATSI_17417642-221x300.jpgPhilly is parting ways with the third-year wideout for a 2023 seventh-round pick and a conditional 2024 pick. The latter selection will either be a fourth- or fifth-rounder. Reagor came up in trade rumors fairly consistently this offseason, and the Eagles are moving on. Two years remain on Reagor’s rookie deal.

[RELATED: Eagles Acquire DB C.J. Gardner-Johnson From Saints]

Two years ago, the Eagles faced a decision between TCU’s Reagor and LSU’s Justin Jefferson. The room was believed to be split, but Reagor won out. The Vikings took Jefferson. That move worked out pretty well. Minnesota, which has seen Jefferson rocket to the Pro Bowl tier quickly, now has both the 2020 first-rounders.

Reagor will be expected to fill in behind the likes of Jefferson and Adam Thielen. The Vikings also have 2020 draftee K.J. Osborn, who is ticketed to again be their No. 3 wideout. The Vikings did just lose Bisi Johnson to a season-ending ACL tear.

Although Reagor showed some promise in his third Eagles training camp, he has come in far below expectations during game action. Reagor failed to exceed 400 receiving yards in each of his two seasons, missing time with an injury as a rookie and seeing the Eagles add at the position (DeVonta Smith) and shift to a run-heavy attack in 2021. Philly made a considerable effort to upgrade its receiving corps this year. After pursuing Christian Kirk and Allen Robinson, the Eagles acquired A.J. Brown during the draft and gave him a monster guarantee. The addition of former Nick Sirianni Colts charge Zach Pascal may have made a bigger impact on Reagor’s standing.

For his career, Reagor has 64 receptions for 699 yards and three touchdowns. Inconsistency has plagued the second-generation NFLer, however, and the Vikings will try to coax supporting-cast production from the once-coveted Big 12 prospect. Reagor, 23, delivered his best college season as a sophomore — a 1,061-yard, nine-touchdown campaign — before posting 611 yards in 12 junior-year games. The 5-foot-11 talent, who ran a 4.47-second 40-yard dash at the 2020 Combine, still became a top receiver prize in a loaded draft, going 21st overall.

Teetering on the bust cliff, Reagor should at least enjoy a friendlier situation in Minnesota. Carson Wentz struggled mightily during his final Philly season, and Jalen Hurts‘ first starter year turned the Eagles into a smashmouth force. Kirk Cousins certainly is not a top-tier quarterback, but he has proven more consistent as a passer than the QBs Reagor has played with as an Eagle. New Vikes HC Kevin O’Connell will attempt to salvage the downtrodden target.

Another edition that would have helped signifantly to the Bengals' depth, and in this case starting Offensive Line, would be Tackle Jason Peters.  Today Peters is making his first Free Agent visit to the Tackle/Offensive Line needy Dallas Cowboys.  Like the Bengals, it's a perfect fit for him....a need for a quality Starter on a Defending Division Champion with hopes for a Super Bowl Title.

I don't see him getting out of town without a contract.

Though they did not added Reagor or Peters to the Bengals' squad today, which would have been by preferences, the Bengals did however continue their excellent job of improving the roster with perfect additions.

Today's haul (includiong O. J. Howard. I believe, because as I've stated from the beginning, the Hurst signing shouldn't stop them from getting better at TE):

August 31st, 2022 at 2:57pm CST by Adam La Rose

The Bengals have made some notable additions in the aftermath of yesterday’s roster cutdowns. Per the waiver wire, they have claimed tight end Devin Asiasiguard Max Scharping and defensive tackle Jay Tufele.

[RELATED: Bengals Expected To Sign TE Howard]

Asiasi came to New England with significant expectations, given his draft status and the organization’s success at the position. The third-rounder made just 10 appearances in his first two seasons, though, recording only a pair of receptions. The Patriots made a substantial free agent investment in Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith last offseason, limiting his future with the team. In Cincinnati, he will face steep competition for playing time from Hayden Hurst and, in all likelihood, O.J. Howard.

Scharping is in a similar situation to Asiasi in terms of being an underwhelming high draft choice yet to finish their rookie contract. A 2019 second-rounder, the 26-year-old started 33 of the 48 contests he appeared in with the Texans, moving from the left to right guard spot this past season. Regardless of where he lined up, the Northern Illinois alum graded out in the mid-to-high 50s with respect to PFF rating, leaving him on the roster bubble. Scharping’s vacated spot is likely to be filled by A.J. Cann; he will challenge for a backup role behind top free agent addition Alex Cappa with the Bengals.

Tufele, meanwhile, has seen the least playing time of the new trio. As a rookie last season, he made just four appearances in Jacksonville, totaling two tackles. His PFF pass rush grade of 77 indicates some upside on third downs, which dates back to his time in college. Moving on from the USC alum so soon may have come as a surprise, though the additions of Folorunso Fatukasi and Adam Gotsis along the d-line were likely to significantly lessen his chance of seeing significant playing time with the Jaguars. The Bengals lost Larry Ogunjobi in free agency, but re-upped B.J. Hill, whom Tufele will look to provide depth behind his new home.

The defending AFC champions will return many of the members of last season’s team, but these additions could prove effective at areas of relative need. Among the cuts necessary to accommodate the new arrivals is veteran quarterback Brandon Allen. The 29-year-old signed a one-year deal for the third consecutive offseason to remain in Cincinnati.

For now, Allen’s departure leaves the Bengals with only Joe Burrow under center. NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo tweets, however, that Allen “will be back.” Cincinnati is also parting ways with safety Michael Thomas and running back Trayveon Williams.

On 8/9/2022 at 6:43 PM, Kingspoint said:

That has always been absolutely, totally absurd logic:  "Because nobody did this, that shows you what so-and-so is worth".  Please try to use some actual evidence of a person's ability and fit into a system rather than such absurd logic as this.

Year after year, Veteran Guards are always the last quality players to be signed during any off-season.  Veteran Linebackers are the next-to-last.  That's the most likely reason he remains unsigned.  Scheme means a lot.  The Bengals signed three Offensive Linemen who fit Pollack's and Taylor's scheme.  They may feel that molding Carmen would have more upside than changing Spain, given that they had a year to work on Spain and his adjustment to Pollack's system.  Don't know, but it has nothing to do with Spain's talent-level.  He wasn't the problem last year on the Offensive Line.

We are now going to see a very inexperienced left side of the Offensive line with Jonah and Carmen.  Pressure will still come from that side, and that will be the side to attack Defensively, at least early on in the season.

Still inexperienced with Volson but it

feels like the hole is now plugged.

2 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Still inexperienced with Volson but it

feels like the hole is now plugged.

[url]https://publish.twitter.com/?query=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FKelseyLConway%2Fstatus%2F1565024254558699523&widget=Tweet[/url]

Volson and second-year guard Jackson Carman competed for the job all offseason. It was Carman’s job to lose as he entered the offseason and the fourth-round pick beat him out of his job.

"He was ascending the whole training camp period,” offensive coordinator Brian Callahan said of the decision. “He played well. He practiced well. He continually got better, and he showed all the things we would want to see from a guy who’s going to start at guard for us. He’s tough, dependable, consistent, all the things we’re looking for from those linemen. He earned that job."

[url]https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/how-cordell-volson-beat-jackson-carman-for-bengals-starting-left-guard-job/ar-AA11kta5[/url]

"It’s a good lesson for (Carman) that your job is never solidified, especially if you don’t perform the way you need to perform at this level,” Callahan said. “Your job is always open, and you have to fight for it. You have to fight for your job every day. Cordell was one who played better and more consistent."

In the short period of time Volson has blocked for Joe Burrow, he’s shown the third-year franchise quarterback what he’s capable of.

And after taking 70 sacks in the 2021 season, Burrow is pleased with his new starting offensive line, including Volson.

"Big, strong, works really hard," Burrow said of what he’s seen from Volson. “Really excited about what he’s going to become. He’s a big North Dakota boy that is fun to play with. High energy. He’s in his playbook, you can tell. Knows his stuff so he’s going to keep getting better and better.”

On 8/9/2022 at 9:12 PM, Kingspoint said:

That's a guy that I was totally wrong about.  Thought for a moment that he could be someone who isn't injury-prone in the pros just because he was injury-prone in college.  Don't draft injury-prone players from college.

They drafted a 40 time.  Think the lesson there is don't get caught up in combine numbers.

Archived