Game Thread: Bengals at Giants Pre-season game 2 - 8/21/22

2 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Wink knows who his daddy is after those 525 yards ... 

IMG_20220821_232530.jpgIMG_20220821_232537.jpg

FB_IMG_1661147338822.jpg

Gold Jacket reference.....

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2021/12/26/wink-martindale-gold-jacket-remark-motivate-joe-burrow-cincinnati-bengals-record-525-passing-yards/9020801002/

7 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Micah Parsons didn't like the (legal) Moss block ...

IMG_20220821_230907.jpg

Cut blocks have been around forever..and should have been outlawed forever ago.

That just as easily could have been a straight-up/blow-up block, but since no one can go close to anyone’s noggin any longer, only place to go is low. 

I would have liked to have seen Shooter kick a 61-yarder to tie it up…and think that would have been a boost going forward for the team.  However, I also understand trying to get five more yards.  There may be games where we need to do that.

How, in a situation like that, you CANNOT have a false start.  Count it as a learning opportunity.

The next play was also a learning opportunity: when the other team KNOWS that you’re trying to get a few more yards, positions themselves accordingly, AND you have no timeouts, you CANNOT do whatever that stupid play call was.  That was garbage.  Even if he hangs onto the ball, he is easily tackled on the field of play and the clock runs out.

🦗

4 minutes ago, Cricket said:

I would have liked to have seen Shooter kick a 61-yarder to tie it up…and think that would have been a boost going forward for the team.  However, I also understand trying to get five more yards.  There may be games where we need to do that.

How, in a situation like that, you CANNOT have a false start.  Count it as a learning opportunity.

The next play was also a learning opportunity: when the other team KNOWS that you’re trying to get a few more yards, positions themselves accordingly, AND you have no timeouts, you CANNOT do whatever that stupid play call was.  That was garbage.  Even if he hangs onto the ball, he is easily tackled on the field of play and the clock runs out.

🦗

I was OK with McFearsome not trying from that far out.

Closer, yes but my thinking was if he missed it might have played with his brain

in the future.

6 hours ago, membengal said:

Nothing about Moss's block was illegal or dirty. A ton of ex-NFL linemen and o-line gurus all hit twitter to explain how it is a legal block. The fault with it lies with Thibedeaux, actually, not Moss. 

Ehhh...illegal, no.  Clean?  That's debatable.  They've outlawed defensive players going low on linemen.  Why should pulling offensive players be able to go low?  The reaction from many current players suggests this is a point of debate.  Carl Banks did say defensive players like Thibedeaux have to learn to get their pads low to take on those blocks.  To say Thibedeaux is at fault?  I wouldn't go that far. 

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Ehhh...illegal, no.  Clean?  That's debatable.  They've outlawed defensive players going low on linemen.  Why should pulling offensive players be able to go low?  The reaction from many current players suggests this is a point of debate.  Carl Banks did say defensive players like Thibedeaux have to learn to get their pads low to take on those blocks.  To say Thibedeaux is at fault?  I wouldn't go that far. 

I actually put the blame more on the Giants coaching staff for not preparing their young DE to be ready for a very common blocking technique. Should it be legal??? Probably not, but it is for now. And it was not a dirty play in any way shape or form, if it was it would be illegal, right?

Literally, the blame is on Thibedeaux - d-lineman (and this is from d-lineman) are taught how to engage that block (the legal block that happens 1000 times an NFL season) - and it does not include planting your front leg. When Moss goes to cut (which he can because it is between the tackles and Thibdedeaux not engaged) Thibedeaux should use his hands to push Moss down and keep his feet to continue to pursue. I heard no less than 5 former d-lineman say/tweet that. All offensive lineman and TEs who have weighed in said same thing. 

5 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Praise for Dax 

FB_IMG_1661200255946.jpg

Very fast yes.

On the rundown tackle close to sideline it was his speed that made the play.

Bates doesn't have that acceleration.

Bates is an outstanding safety when he wants to be but Hill is going to be looked at as a probowler possibly by years end imo.

23 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Ex Browns LB Acho calling Moss cowardly ...

He needed to slow down the hit like I did with the video.  At first I thought Moss did it in spite but, to me, Thibodeaux brought it upon himself from taking a low hit.  He turned his body opening up his leg in what looked like he was preparing for a shoulder to shoulder hit but, instead, stayed up, instead of leaning his shoulder down thus Moss had no choice but to hit him low.   The shoulder was not there to absorb Moss shoulder.  

Denver offensive lines made a legend with their employment of the “roll block”—one used for decades at all levels of football. Hell, we used to use it way back in the early ‘70’s. It wasn’t “dirty” until banned out of existence. 

Truth of the matter, it was always a cheap shit form of blocking—just as cut blocks have always been a cheap shit form of blocking. Just because they are still “legal”, doesn’t change anything. 

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Literally, the blame is on Thibedeaux - d-lineman (and this is from d-lineman) are taught how to engage that block (the legal block that happens 1000 times an NFL season) - and it does not include planting your front leg. When Moss goes to cut (which he can because it is between the tackles and Thibdedeaux not engaged) Thibedeaux should use his hands to push Moss down and keep his feet to continue to pursue. I heard no less than 5 former d-lineman say/tweet that. All offensive lineman and TEs who have weighed in said same thing. 

Yep.  Carson Palmer shouldn’t have planted his leg before Kimo hit him.  Legal Play.  

Keith Rivers should have been paying attention before Hines Ward blindsided him and put his helmet in his ear.  Legal play. 

Bernard shouldn’t have made a “football move” before Shazier lowered his helmet into his face mask.  Legal hit. 

Sure, offensive players want to keep being able to cut block while their opponents on D cannot do the same.  Old school defenders talk about defending themselves, but they were able to return fire in the same way.  

This is not a cut and dried issue.  Many current NFL players have a problem with how these rules favor the offense and I agree.  They deserve the same amount of protection. 

If this had happened to Hubbard or Hendrickson you would be screaming bloody murder as would I. 

No, I wouldn't. It is no use to argue. It is literally a legal block. Between the tackles, defensive player not engaged. It was on B-tape that NFL network used for Kittle highlights in the top 100 that ran just after the game. You are wrong. Big wrong. It is exactly the technique that is taught for that play and BOTH sides of the ball are aware of it. Thibedeaux has techniques he should use to avoid this issue.    That's my last word on it. You can persist in being wrong but it won't stop you from being wrong. Enjoy being wrong. 

Here's a play from the Giants game where the GIANTS DID THE SAME BLOCK (between the tackles defensive player not otherwise engaged) -(((please note how the bengals player properly did his technique - kept this feet and his knee wasn't hurt)))

32 minutes ago, membengal said:

No, I wouldn't. It is no use to argue. It is literally a legal block. Between the tackles, defensive player not engaged. It was on B-tape that NFL network used for Kittle highlights in the top 100 that ran just after the game. You are wrong. Big wrong. It is exactly the technique that is taught for that play and BOTH sides of the ball are aware of it. Thibedeaux has techniques he should use to avoid this issue.    That's my last word on it. You can persist in being wrong but it won't stop you from being wrong. Enjoy being wrong. 

Here's a play from the Giants game where the GIANTS DID THE SAME BLOCK (between the tackles defensive player not otherwise engaged) -(((please note how the bengals player properly did his technique - kept this feet and his knee wasn't hurt)))

I think you are totally missing my point.  Yes, it is legal.  I do not "blame" either player.  It's still a shitty, dangerous play just like the three plays I described that prominently injured Bengals.  All three are now illegal.  This isn't black and white, right and wrong.  Hell, even Whitworth says maybe this block should be removed. 

Archived