2022 Regular Season Game 1 - Stealers at Bengals 9/11/22 Game thread

4 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

TJ Watt did this cheap shot on Burrow ... And then later got injured #Karma 

That was the flag that was pulled in which was BS.  If that were any other QB, they would've given him a personal foul unsportsmanlike conduct.  They called a ticky tacky Taunting on Chase but, nothing on this?  He was a defense player.  Plus, how is a taunting almost an ejection from the game if you do it twice but, this is nothing? 

My thoughts from what I saw:

I've seen enough of Jonah Williams. I wouldn't re-sign him. Collins didn't look that great either.

We get NO push in the running game.

Why did the refs put so much time back on the clock after Burrow's fumble / Perine's recovery?

55 minutes ago, TigerJ@w said:

That was the flag that was pulled in which was BS.  If that were any other QB, they would've given him a personal foul unsportsmanlike conduct.  They called a ticky tacky Taunting on Chase but, nothing on this?  He was a defense player.  Plus, how is a taunting almost an ejection from the game if you do it twice but, this is nothing? 

It’s not a cheap play.  Burrow was making a play to try to tackle the player running back the interception.  Perfectly legal, which is why “there was no penalty on the play”.  If Joe just stood there and Watts hits him, then that would have been a personal foul.  

Chase got flagged for taunting because he ripped off the stealer’s mouth guard and tossed it.  

There were plenty of plays with bad calls (and bad no-calls), but these were not among them.

🦗

3 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

Truly one of the top few horrendous games for the Bengals, and that is surely saying something.  Let's note that it's ALL on the offense (can't blame special teams for an injury, that's on Taylor for not being prepared).

O-line was beyond a disappoint, a real travesty.  All that money, all that hype, and they were arguably worse than last year's unit. 

Was that the first time the entire oline starters have played together?

It seems so and definately looked like it.

1 hour ago, Cat said:

My thoughts from what I saw:

I've seen enough of Jonah Williams. I wouldn't re-sign him. Collins didn't look that great either.

We get NO push in the running game.

Why did the refs put so much time back on the clock after Burrow's fumble / Perine's recovery?

This X100000000

We should have never picked up that 5th year option. 

He has not shown any improvement since he has been here.

Always looks slow and off balance

11 minutes ago, palmer4mvp said:

Yes, there were no game snaps together, only some in the joint practices with the Rams. Even then I don’t think the whole line was full go

I expected more but No practice doesn't make perfect..

Hopefully we see an oline that can pass block as a unit against Dallas.

Didnt see it today..

9 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Jonah looks short armed compared to most LTs (because he is) ... that has always been a concern and why many thought he might make a better G. 

I guess one consideration is whether Collins might be better at LT and move Jonah to RT? 

If he's getting by on technique putting him at RT isn't going to help.  

Only one game but I hope he wasn't hiding in the weeds of a very bad OL.  Hard to tell, you could have 3 Pro Bowl OL and 2 mediocre ones will make the whole group look like shit.  

Think it was clear in camp that neither Carman nor Volson should be starting but here we are.

Again though, this was their first real action together.  Kinda crazy not to get them even a series together in preseason.  Terrified of injuries because there's no depth anywhere on the line. but one of these guys is going to miss some games this year.  Very rare a team starts the same 5 OL all year.

Said it before but a training camp strategy based on avoiding injuries doesn't fly in a full-contact sport.

6 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Jonah looks short armed compared to most LTs (because he is) ... that has always been a concern and why many thought he might make a better G. 

I guess one consideration is whether Collins might be better at LT and move Jonah to RT? 

Jonah needs to add about 20 lbs to play RT.

He would probably make a better guard than RT, similar to how Jackson Carman would make a better LT than guard.

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

a training camp strategy based on avoiding injuries doesn't fly in a full-contact sport.

On the flip side though, Tomlin played his starters entire halfs, and the last preseason game both Watt and Najee got banged up in a meaningless game, and now today they both get seriously injured ... (could be the accumulation from coming in already beat up) 

23 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

On the flip side though, Tomlin played his starters entire halfs, and the last preseason game both Watt and Najee got banged up in a meaningless game, and now today they both get seriously injured ... (could be the accumulation from coming in already beat up) 

But they looked ready to play, wouldn't you say?  Guys are going to get hurt.  Teams prevent that with good trainers & docs, not by letting them watch from the sidelines.  Too many "veteran days" for a team with one good season under their belts.

These new guys especially, everyone's here to play football full time, we can't just take them out of the box on Sundays & expect results.

They weren't prepared today and the other team was, simple as that.

23 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

9 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

But they looked ready to play, wouldn't you say?  Guys are going to get hurt.  Teams prevent that with good trainers & docs, not by watching from the sidelines.  They're here to play football full time, we can't just take them out of the box on Sundays & expect results.

They weren't prepared today and the other team was, simple as that.

I'd like to think there is a middle ground here and maybe Taylor should have played the starting 5 for one quarter each game?

2 hours ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

Didn’t deserve to win today no other way to spin it played awful if that was against a better team we would have gotten killed the squealers offense is awful

They “should” have won but you are right, didn’t deserve it. 

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

I'd like to think there is a middle ground here and maybe Taylor should have played the starting 5 for one quarter each game?

Yeah pardon my late edit there but IDK, something.. One series? Line up and call a timeout? Dress out at least?

Now they're playing catch-up.

Just now, Jamie_B said:

Those guys play 17 games a year “minimum” if healthy. A few series in pre season isn’t going to make or break a player. Injuries are totally random in most cases.  Lack of practice isn’t. 

6 minutes ago, SF2 said:

They “should” have won but you are right, didn’t deserve it. 

Neither team would win a lot of games playing like today.  Difference is I think that was Pissburgh's best shot. 

Our guys just need to stop shopping for SB rings & jerking each other off on social media & they'll be fine. 

figuratively not in a Deshaun Watson way not that theres anything wrong with that 

*between two consenting adults

Archived