The Good, Bad, and Ugly from Week 1

The GOOD

- That Burrow bounced back from throwing a pick 6 on his first pass and all the ints to still throw for 338 yds and what should have been the game winner with 00s on the clock. 

- Chase played great and carried the WRs 

- Nice tip toe catch from Hurst 

- Bengals D played good enough to get the win, despite all the offense's mistakes 

- Played as bad as humanly possible, and still really should have won TWICE! 

- The LBs played the run well, Reader was stout 

- Apple was solid in coverage 

- Perine picked up a few nice blitzes 

- Huber showed some rare leg strength

- Shooter hitting from 59 yards - a true weapon (when he has a snapper) 

- Watt likely out for the year and Najee 6 weeks. That removes the Squeelers from division contention. 

The BAD 

- OL cohesion was off in the first half, Burrow is taking too many hits still. 

- Jonah got beat on the outside, and his lack of length showed. Seemed to move more like a G than a LT 

- Volson struggled with some stunts

- Losing Higgins to concussion protocol. 

- Mixon is tiptoeing too much and not exploding out of his cuts 

- Burrow needs to realize his OL can't hold up, so throw it away on 3rd downs 

- Play calling lacks imagination, what about a screen, or reverse? Stop the draw up the middle for no gain. 

- The refs blew some calls and looked very biased towards the Squeelers. Plus they allowed lots of cheap headshots. 

- Shooters misses hopefully won't mess with his confidence.

The UGLY

- First 2 plays on offense are a sack and pick 6, nightmare fuel 

- Burrow's accuracy seemed rusty (likely appendectomy related)

- Not having a gameday backup long snapper that is serviceable is malpractice. They had Logan taking FGs to plan for that contingency in training camp, why not LS. 

- Zac Taylor's clock management at the end of the game, punted with 15 seconds on the clock 

- Not challenging Chase's TD catch which led to no points. 

- Not telling the holder to fall down on the bad snap as it was 3rd down. No need to kick it there! 

- Taking an L to the shitty ass Squeelers who may only win 6 games all year. 

1 minute ago, palmer4mvp said:

It’s really unreal that the Bengals played, at least on offense and special teams, as bad as they did and still had two chances to win the game. That tells me that they will be fine, and that the Stealers are pretty terrible. 

To add even more to this, the likelihood of the offense struggling that bad, or the long snapper getting hurt, much less BOTH in the same game, is so low that I’m not worried at all. It’s a disappointing loss especially to such a hated rival, but Burrow will be pissed.  I will be at the Cowboys game next week, Joe might throw for 600 yards. 

I would add that I would much rather be a Bengals fan right now than a Squeelers fan, considering their "win" cost them the 2 best players on their team. 

If you gave me the option ... 

A) We win today but lose Burrow for the year and Chase for 6 weeks 

B) We lose today like we did, but both escape injury ... 

I would choose B 100% of the time.  

This game reminded me of the Packers game last year, where it was clear that the Universe was just not going to let the Bengals win it, even though they deserved too. 

Luckily this is a long 17 game season (where avoiding serious injury it the most important ingredient), and come week 12 we will not even remember this game or the sting from this loss. And if your team needs to get punched in the mouth to motivate them, best that happens early in the year rather than later. 

I expect a very angry Burrow next week in Dallas. Who will be laser focused all week in practice and ready to get the bad taste from today out of his mouth. 

5 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

I would add that I would much rather be a Bengals fan right now than a Squeelers fan, considering their "win" cost them the 2 best players on their team. 

If you gave me the option ... 

A) We win today but lose Burrow for the year and Chase for 6 weeks 

B) We lose today like we did, but both escape injury ... 

I would choose B 100% of the time.  

Without a doubt…and the state of the franchise for the next few years is no contest in favor of Cincy. 

I thought Mixon played well and had some clutch receptions.  Hurst too.

If Mixon was dancing around too much it's because he had nowhere to go..  Really expected better run blocking from the new guys.  

Defense played with an intensity I didn't see last year, they looked more aggressive & confident in their assignments.

Ugly that the kicking game went to shit because of one injury.  Does anyone else think it's kinda weird that Darrin Simmons has been the special teams coach for 87 years and never been promoted or had a better offer elsewhere?  Still listed as Assistant Head Coach btw.

Giving away an extra snap for JB in favor of kicking on 3rd down was chickenshit & not just because we turned it over anyway.

Chase played great but his taunting penalty was really STUPID!! The Squeelers were on m the shadow of the goal line and that penalty gave them some breathing room. 
According to the stats, we only had 4 penalties for 27 yards, which doesn’t sound right to me. But if that is indeed the case, then that is a good trend to continue from last year.

2 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

The GOOD

- That Burrow bounced back from throwing a pick 6 on his first pass and all the ints to still throw for 338 yds and what should have been the game winner with 00s on the clock. 

- Chase played great and carried the WRs 

- Nice tip toe catch from Hurst 

- Bengals D played good enough to get the win, despite all the offense's mistakes 

- Played as bad as humanly possible, and still really should have won TWICE! 

- The LBs played the run well, Reader was stout 

- Apple was solid in coverage 

- Perine picked up a few nice blitzes 

- Huber showed some rare leg strength

- Shooter hitting from 59 yards - a true weapon (when he has a snapper) 

- Watt likely out for the year and Najee 6 weeks. That removes the Squeelers from division contention. 

The BAD 

- OL cohesion was off in the first half, Burrow is taking too many hits still. 

- Jonah got beat on the outside, and his lack of length showed. Seemed to move more like a G than a LT 

- Volson struggled with some stunts

- Losing Higgins to concussion protocol. 

- Mixon is tiptoeing too much and not exploding out of his cuts 

- Burrow needs to realize his OL can't hold up, so throw it away on 3rd downs 

- Play calling lacks imagination, what about a screen, or reverse? Stop the draw up the middle for no gain. 

- The refs blew some calls and looked very biased towards the Squeelers. Plus they allowed lots of cheap headshots. 

- Shooters misses hopefully won't mess with his confidence.

The UGLY

- First 2 plays on offense are a sack and pick 6, nightmare fuel 

- Burrow's accuracy seemed rusty (likely appendectomy related)

- Not having a gameday backup long snapper that is serviceable is malpractice. They had Logan taking FGs to plan for that contingency in training camp, why not LS. 

- Zac Taylor's clock management at the end of the game, punted with 15 seconds on the clock 

- Not challenging Chase's TD catch which led to no points. 

- Not telling the holder to fall down on the bad snap as it was 3rd down. No need to kick it there! 

- Taking an L to the shitty ass Squeelers who may only win 6 games all year. 

BJ, add that Hurst is legit in the "Good" column.

Add that our WR's suck after Boyd.

Archived