O-Line Breakdowns from PFF

Cappa Was a champ.

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 8.36.01 PM.png

Collins looked rusty like he was in a new system, was hurt and didnt play in the preseason or something.....

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 8.35.48 PM.png

Jonah got the business with Volson. They knew Volson would be the weakness so they continued to overload the left side, and lets not pretend Pitt doesnt have 4 pro bowl caliber pass rushers. I havent gone back and watched JUST the linemen more than once yet, so im not sure if they gave Jonah 2 to deal with often i saw it a few times, lined one outside Jonah and one on him, and BOTH hit the outside forcing him to take the inside guy and nothing for Volson to do except try to swing behind him which wasnt gonna work. I dont know if we started scheme everyone blocking to their left or something, ill have to watch more.

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 8.35.20 PM.png

We knew (well anyone not under a rock) that volson wasnt strong or fast enough to handle this task, if he was getting ran by and pushed back by low end preseason players this wasnt going to be in his wheelhouse. and it wasnt. Heyward worked this man like a brand new baseball glove.

Volson is smart and a hard worker and all the other cool words everyone keeps using to trick themselves into thinking he was NFL ready. But he isnt fast or strong enough for about 50-60% of the talent he will face, and what sucks for us is strength isnt exactly something you can ramp up really fast. I like the long term potential, but he needs a year of strength and speed work to adapt into an average LG in the nfl. He will have some good graded games against medium talent or teams who dont travel rushers or whatever other scenario matches up to him not being outskilled. Even teams with a low number of great pass rushers, if they ahve 1-2 and try to target him we can help and scheme the help, not sure how many 4+ high talent fronts we face on the schedule but its gonna be a bad time. Poor jonah is just above average and getting worked for being on the island next to the weakest link isnt helping his case this year.

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 8.33.55 PM.png

Karras played really well, then again he is book ended between two talented guys. not a ton to say here, Cappa and Karras are as advertised after game one. butthey also were all but left alone with Volson and Jonah getting run over play after play.

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 8.36.12 PM.png

everyone who blocked period:

image.png

On Volson.

He's had it.bad up to now.

The kid has literally been taken to school from Aaron Donald in  practice and pre-season and another.All-Po in Cam Heyward..

Lord what sn initiation to the start with...

He may have grown up big-time after those battles  witb the.best..

7 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

On Volson.

The kid has literally been taken to school from Aaron Donald in  practice and pre-season and another.All-Po in Cam Heyward..

One can only hope. Of course, I would hope that going up against Hendrickson, Hubbard, Hill and Reader every day would make him better, too. They're no slouches, either. 

Go said it before the season started: Volson is a slightly better suck than the other suck. 

I watched him very closely in the stadium Sunday. The pass pro--especially stunt recognition--was hideous at first, but minimally better as it progressed. He actually had some damn fine textbook straight-ahead run blocks, so there is some hope there. 

See how he fares this week. Hopefully, everyone lives to tell about it.  

Some of this is also on the coaches to prepare Volson. It can't just be: "there's a pro bowl DT, good luck". They all praise how much he studies and wants to learn (unlike Flounder).

I'm not sure any O lineman in the league would look that great if they are picked out by a defense to specifically be targeted the entire game by their best players for stunts etc. I have faith he will improve week to week. 

On 9/16/2022 at 1:18 AM, claptonrocks said:

On Volson.

he was getting worked by unemployed players in preseason too, though. with strength being one of his biggest problems sadly its going to be a slow improvement, buti can see him easily being a productive nfl player.

another thing fans, especially this fanbase, need reminders of, there are about 8 "good" or better players at each o-line position, and people act like teams are dumb idiots who cant draft and sign players if they dont have a top 5 at each oline position.

its pretty wild.

based on last years player performances this line was ranked 8th with literally a question mark for whose the left guard.

if we see what happened sunday again and again we got a problem.. but we dont know much of anything about anyone yet..

14 hours ago, GoBengals said:

another thing fans, especially this fanbase, need reminders of, there are about 8 "good" or better players at each o-line position, and people act like teams are dumb idiots who cant draft and sign players if they dont have a top 5 at each oline position.

I think most people would settle for not being bottom 5 at most OL positions.  Last year's group gave up 70 sacks and this year's gave up 7 in the first game.  They were bad last year and were bad in the first game of this year.  That's facts.   This isn't "oh crazy fans" stuff.

based on last years player performances this line was ranked 8th

Hol' up..  In what universe was that OL ranked 8th last year?  PFF?  Pie eating?

• GoBengals changed the title to O-Line Breakdowns from PFF

Archived