GAMEDAY 2: COWBOYS (9/18/22)

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

The league has created a Frankenstein monster by regulating itself out of legitimacy through endless/ interminable rules favoring offenses. The dynamic resulting from any human being being able to minimally— let alone fairly—officiate, is literally impossible. 

There never again can be anything remotely close to “let them play”. In days gone by, there could be extended lengths of games where one would see this. Now, you hold your breath for mere quarters before the shenanigans begin. 

This is all on Roger and his avaricious legion of owners—every last morsel. 

In the grand scheme, yes....it's on Goodell and the owners.  Specifically though, that's a different story.  I don't believe referees are sent to fix games with bad calls.  They screw up naturally, aided and abetted by rules that are damn near impossible to enforce consistently week to week. 

Do I doubt that owners like Jones and Kraft use whatever little tricks they can to win?  Hell, no. 

I believe that most of the problem with the referees and the inconsistent calls boils down to one word: “respect”.  Respect of organizations and respect of players.

The Bengals were a laughing stock through the 90s…and it has since been a long, hard road to earn some respect. With some of the referees, we may never have their respect.

I also wonder about how much variation there is with regards to how the referees are treated by the hosting team.  How similar are the referee locker rooms from team to team?  Do some teams offer more amenities to the referees?  Does the NFL office take care of lodging and transportation for referees, or does the home team play a large part in that?

SO, while each referee may truly believe that he is being objective with each call, his sense of respect (or lack there of) toward a team (of player) will often have an influence.  

🦗

39 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Each referee may truly believe that he is being objective with each call

You also have the fact that most referees are probably football fans of their own childhood NFL teams. So that would subconsciously cloud their judgement.

Since most refs are 40-60 years old, that puts their formative youth years during the "glory days" of the blue blood NFL franchises (Squeelers, Cowboys etc). 

One thing the NFL could do is investigate refs own biographies and not allow them to officiate teams from their own hometown or that they have ever shown a pre-ref fandom for (even back to childhood).

6 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

You also have the fact that most referees are probably football fans of their own childhood NFL teams. So that would subconsciously cloud their judgement.

Since most refs are 40-60 years old, that puts their formative youth years during the "glory days" of the blue blood NFL franchises (Squeelers, Cowboys etc). 

One thing the NFL could do is investigate refs own biographies and not allow them to officiate teams from their own hometown or that they have ever shown a pre-ref fandom for (even back to childhood).

All that was also in my thoughts as I typed out my piece, but just didn’t include it.  

Your last paragraph is spot on…especially for the playoffs.

When the Seahawk player was called for a very ticky-tacky offensive pass interference in the end zone on what would have been an important score in the Super Bowl against the stealers, the back judge making that call grew up near Pittsburg (was living in Toledo, OH at the time).  😡

It’s hard to believe that they wouldn’t implement some sort of screening process.

6 hours ago, CincyInDC said:

The interior line did well? I hope this is not PFF voodoo.

I have noticed that when Volson engages with a guy he is pretty decent.  He's gotten lost several times as you would expect from a rookie.  The other interior guys seem to be able to handle their business as well.  Williams and Collins have not been able to handle their business.  It's not just Watt and Parsons.  We've been watching this show with Williams for a few years now.  Any decent DE gives him a lot of trouble.  He's not good.  I'll give Collins a few more weeks as he's been off the field a while with the back issues, but Williams getting slapped around is old news.

You only need to look at the video posted by that "OL review guy" on here yesterday to see these numbers  are bullshit.  When he wasn't even blocking anybody he shuffles back into Joe's face anyway?  C'mon.   Maybe "his process" will get him to be serviceable one of this weeks, but it wasn't this past one.

****** Huh?  I hope this is right.  I didn't think he played too badly at all but what do I know?  There is another stat elsewhere on the board grading him poorly.  Also the fact that they haven't benched him for Carman speaks volumes.  At the Pittsturd game, I thought Carman took my ticket at the gate as I went in.  No :ninja:

6 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

^ ... Maybe they need to put Volson at LT then ... As Jonah is getting abused. 

Maybe not the most horrible of thoughts even if you did make it in jest.

It has been said that Joni looks more like a guard then a tackle.  It is out that people simply run around him 

and its being exploited.

Don't know if Volson is quick and agile enough to handle them but he could not be much worse than Joni.

Plus I would think Volson could be stronger.

Also aware that it ain't gonna happen.

Archived