Is Frank Pollack the problem?

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Someone should set up a Go Fund Me page for La'eel Collins to have his Bengals tattoo removed.  He sure has not earned his stripes.

NFL Films sent him a check for the work he did on Micah Parson's highlight reel.

Yeah... thank you, thank you very much.  God Bless, drive safe and don't forget to tip your waitresses...  I'm through.  For now.  But I do feel better.

Irony of ironies, Romo was saying on the broadcast yesterday that Micah Parsons give La'el Collins a lot of credit for helping him become the player he is when they were both in Dallas by helping  him with technique, etc. 

I would have thought that Collins would have a better read on Parsons since he practiced against him all of last year. Guess not. It was mind boggling how many times Parsons had a free pass to the QB. How do you not block last year's rookie Defensive Player of the Year???

18 hours ago, SmoothD said:

Either he is the problem,  or the person calling the protections.

No way in hell should Micah Parsons have multiple free shots on Burrow.

The O-line just looks completely out of sync

so youre trying to tell me....

an offensive line.... that has 4 new players, two of which were injured and recovering during camp, one of those who had back surgery, then another new player to the team who "won" the job by merely being slightly less shitty, rookie from some ranch college tossed in there a few weeks before the season.....

a season starting off again Heyward, Watt, Ogunjobi, highsmith and more, than against possibly the best pass rusher in the league the next week.

.... THOSE guys are out of sync?

how in the FUCK is that even possible?

i need answer immediately. 

7 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Don’t shoot the messenger. I learned a long time ago not to buy every NFL media report.

These guys were good pickups, not super-duper-out-of-this-world pickups. Whether they were dinged items on purchase, who knows? Not many veteran NFL linemen aren’t beat down to some extent after a few seasons I would reckon. Basically: no one is going to find a pristine product. But, in any event, they were cleared to play towards the end of camp, and here they are. 

Oh I am not shooting you for sure it just ticks me off after being a very long time fan like you and many others on here in thinking once again we were sold a bill of goods that is not panning out.  Meaning, this Front Office makes moves in FA finally or should I say, very rarely in this manner and they are not worth the contract they were written on.  I am a person to give them some time but, as experienced as they are they should be playing way better than they are no matter not playing together.  If they continue to flop, I would love to know who made the call on signing them.  I am sure it was a collaboration of many but, Zac or MFB should take responsibility for their duds! Will that make it better?  Yea, to me telling the truth goes a long way.  I know they will never say who did it though but, to a fan shouldn’t we be allowed to know, especially the paying ones?  I am just on my soap box because I thought this team was going back to the SB.  I don’t see it.  I hope they prove me wrong. 

5 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

an offensive line.... that has 4 new players, two of which were injured and recovering during camp, one of those who had back surgery, then another new player to the team who "won" the job by merely being slightly less shitty, rookie from some ranch college tossed in there a few weeks before the season.....

a season starting off again Heyward, Watt, Ogunjobi, highsmith and more, than against possibly the best pass rusher in the league the next week.

When you watch guys get smoked and bullrushed consistently and they have few answers, it isn't about scheme or continuity.  The tackles aren't competing physically with the guys they are facing.  It's not just Watt and Parsons.  If it was just guys getting fooled that would be one thing.  They are getting beaten physically. 

Dallas plugs in a rookie at LT.  He looked pretty damned good.  Dallas had second string RT in the game.  Hubbard got by him a couple times late, but he did pretty well too. 

This has been going on for a long time now.  It points to something systemic.

19 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

Schemes and blocking assignments.

Tampa Bay had some success stopping Parsons last week (he had 2 sacks, but the rest of the team had none) and their line is considered worse than ours.

1 hour ago, GoBengals said:

Back injury to Collins yes.

I wonder how much hes healed and may contribute to his awful play so far?

Was it Carman's back stunting his growth as well?

Once Reiff had the back problem he tailed off to the point of retireing ..

Not excuses but possibility..

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

When you watch guys get smoked and bullrushed consistently and they have few answers, it isn't about scheme or continuity.  The tackles aren't competing physically with the guys they are facing.  It's not just Watt and Parsons.  If it was just guys getting fooled that would be one thing.  They are getting beaten physically. 

Dallas plugs in a rookie at LT.  He looked pretty damned good.  Dallas had second string RT in the game.  Hubbard got by him a couple times late, but he did pretty well too. 

This has been going on for a long time now.  It points to something systemic.

if youre not 100% and youre going against parsons youre going to have a bad time,  we faced two teams with the kryptonite to our biggest current weaknesses, oline getting into season form and healthy and a mediocre LG doing his best. it is what it is, we maybe face 2-3 teams with the level of talent in the pass rush the rest of the year, and fingers crossed everyone is all healthy and working together by that point. the nice thing is Burrow eats up teams blitzing him, so we arent often facing more than a 5 man rush, but they are scheming to our weaknesses which is giving Jonah a bad time, loading the left and making Collins take the best guy on the right, he had back surgery like 2 months ago or whenever and faced off against Watt and parsons. maybe alright to take a deep breath on collins for the time being.

1 hour ago, SmoothD said:

Schemes and blocking assignments.

Tampa Bay had some success stopping Parsons last week (he had 2 sacks, but the rest of the team had none) and their line is considered worse than ours.

so that defense held tom brady to 19 points and us to 17 points, im not sure who considered their line worse than ours but they were ranked 4th when the season started and we were ranked 8th, they lost Jensen but still have mostly solid players, and they are performing better overall than ours.

small sample size of course.

image.png

image.png

47 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Back injury to Collins yes.

I wonder how much hes healed and may contribute to his awful play so far?

Was it Carman's back stunting his growth as well?

Once Reiff had the back problem he tailed off to the point of retireing ..

Not excuses but possibility..

shit, Carman had 5 things going against him, his initial attitude and offseason health, the injuries, covid first year and moved to new position and new side of ball, then moved again and practiced kinda with some guys he would play with then thrown into preseason work with guys he didnt practice with since no other starters played.

he was fucked over pretty good by himself and health and the team.

Collins has faced possible 2 of the 3 best edge rushers in the game the last two weeks and is a 61, which is better than most of the line last year. I think he will settle in fine.

2 hours ago, TigerJ@w said:

Oh I am not shooting you for sure it just ticks me off after being a very long time fan like you and many others on here in thinking once again we were sold a bill of goods that is not panning out.  Meaning, this Front Office makes moves in FA finally or should I say, very rarely in this manner and they are not worth the contract they were written on.  I am a person to give them some time but, as experienced as they are they should be playing way better than they are no matter not playing together.  If they continue to flop, I would love to know who made the call on signing them.  I am sure it was a collaboration of many but, Zac or MFB should take responsibility for their duds! Will that make it better?  Yea, to me telling the truth goes a long way.  I know they will never say who did it though but, to a fan shouldn’t we be allowed to know, especially the paying ones?  I am just on my soap box because I thought this team was going back to the SB.  I don’t see it.  I hope they prove me wrong. 

2 of the 3 FA's are playing very well, and the other one faced Watt and Parsons coming off back surgery and getting almost zero work all preseason. the "bill of goods" take is possibly one of the wildest things I have read on here in a while.

theyd played together for 2 games and 2/3 of them are doing a bang up job.

7 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

2 of the 3 FA's are playing very well, and the other one faced Watt and Parsons coming off back surgery and getting almost zero work all preseason. the "bill of goods" take is possibly one of the wildest things I have read on here in a while.

Good points..

Makes for optomism..

19 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Throwing a screen every now and then would help, but that play apparently isn't in Zac's arsenal. 

He doesn't trust the OL to execute it without tripping over each other's feet.  Same for sliding protection on bootlegs or anything beyond basic pass pro.  Except for the slowest fucking sweeps & stretch runs you've ever seen in your life, we'll keep going to that dry well all day for 2 yards a pop at best.

Been that way for a long while.  Whole sections of a normal NFL playbook appear to be missing.  The red zone offense this year is designed around kicking FG's, just get within 50 and run until it's 4th down... Until we're down by 2+ scores and then they turn into something that resembles the team we were expecting. The play calling seems way more timid in general & again that's mostly on the OL but they just don't seem to be attacking defenses like they were last season.  

Not sure entirely what changed but they need to change it back in a hurry.

6 hours ago, GoBengals said:

We shall see.  How many games will it take according to you?  Did these guys not face these players during their career already?  I mean, I would have to go look it up but, I am willing to bet they have before. 

remember that time frank pollack demanded to be handed over a o-line full of inexperienced dog shit and loose body parts in 2021, the team wanted to get 5 pro bowl linemen, because we all know they are floating around free to grab and teams are always willing to trade them away for cheap, but no, frank was like no i want shitty guys who eat glass or whatever, ...man fuck frank pollack... youre right..

OMG and remember when frank pollack was like, hey, we have 4 new linemen, none of them have played together EVER, and 1 is a rookie, and 2 are coming of injuries in camp... i REQUIRE us to start off the season against two of the best pass rushing teams, i dont want guys to gel together, i dont want film on these teams defense schemes, i want blind, barely healthy guys to match up against the DROY and DPOY, all pro first team defense, 4x all pro, 4x pro bowler, gimme that shit week 1, fuck it. make sure the other defenders are also great next to him too....  then week two i want the all american, bowl game defensive MVP, instant pro bowler, DROY, first year first team all pro, or we arent even gonna play the games.

youre probably right, its definitely pollacks fault, why would he do that?

everyone knows you can EASILY completely revamp and rebuild a top 10 offensive line in 1 season, everyone other teams does it, except pollack and the bengals.

5 hours ago, GoBengals said:

remember that time frank pollack demanded to be handed over a o-line full of inexperienced dog shit and loose body parts in 2021, the team wanted to get 5 pro bowl linemen, because we all know they are floating around free to grab and teams are always willing to trade them away for cheap, but no, frank was like no i want shitty guys who eat glass or whatever, ...man fuck frank pollack... youre right..

OMG and remember when frank pollack was like, hey, we have 4 new linemen, none of them have played together EVER, and 1 is a rookie, and 2 are coming of injuries in camp... i REQUIRE us to start off the season against two of the best pass rushing teams, i dont want guys to gel together, i dont want film on these teams defense schemes, i want blind, barely healthy guys to match up against the DROY and DPOY, all pro first team defense, 4x all pro, 4x pro bowler, gimme that shit week 1, fuck it. make sure the other defenders are also great next to him too....  then week two i want the all american, bowl game defensive MVP, instant pro bowler, DROY, first year first team all pro, or we arent even gonna play the games.

everyone knows you can EASILY completely revamp and rebuild a top 10 offensive line in 1 season, everyone other teams does it, except pollack and the bengals.

Agree with it all but I dont understand his role in the offense playcalling.

Pollack to Callahan to Taylor?

If not what is it?

5 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Agree with it all but I dont understand his role in the offense playcalling.

Pollack to Callahan to Taylor?

If not what is it?

Callahan has a lot of people chattering in his ears on gameday. It’s not just the line, but also receivers and running backs coaches too. He has to disseminate everyone’s chatter, and then relay a coherent idea for the complete play to Taylor—who then has to call HIS play to the QB. All in seconds. 

It is not necessarily that frenetic a process if the plays are pre-called before the offense takes the field on a series. It’s just for those “adjustments” in mid series when someone says “hey, I see this”. 

5 hours ago, GoBengals said:

Agreed on Pollack completely but I did expect a better OL.   Not Top 10 by any means but better than last year.  I haven't seen that yet & that's a big problem.  

If we agree Frank's not responsible, who is? Anyone? 

I'm starting to suspect Collins is only here to cash checks.   Early retirement in the minor leagues kinda outlook.  Guy has done absolutely nothing to back up all his big talk.  What happened to the badass bodyguard? He seems more likely to shove Burrow down a flight of stairs himself at this rate.  Now his back hurts. Again. I think he may have a practice allergy, FOH Cordy Glenn 2.0 we don't need that.

On 9/19/2022 at 1:57 PM, GoBengals said:

if youre not 100% and youre going against parsons youre going to have a bad time,  we faced two teams with the kryptonite to our biggest current weaknesses, oline getting into season form and healthy and a mediocre LG doing his best. it is what it is, we maybe face 2-3 teams with the level of talent in the pass rush the rest of the year, and fingers crossed everyone is all healthy and working together by that point. the nice thing is Burrow eats up teams blitzing him, so we arent often facing more than a 5 man rush, but they are scheming to our weaknesses which is giving Jonah a bad time, loading the left and making Collins take the best guy on the right, he had back surgery like 2 months ago or whenever and faced off against Watt and parsons. maybe alright to take a deep breath on collins for the time being.

so that defense held tom brady to 19 points and us to 17 points, im not sure who considered their line worse than ours but they were ranked 4th when the season started and we were ranked 8th, they lost Jensen but still have mostly solid players, and they are performing better overall than ours.

small sample size of course.

image.png

image.png

shit, Carman had 5 things going against him, his initial attitude and offseason health, the injuries, covid first year and moved to new position and new side of ball, then moved again and practiced kinda with some guys he would play with then thrown into preseason work with guys he didnt practice with since no other starters played.

he was fucked over pretty good by himself and health and the team.

Collins has faced possible 2 of the 3 best edge rushers in the game the last two weeks and is a 61, which is better than most of the line last year. I think he will settle in fine.

Those really need to be separated to pass and run.  Collins, for example, was in the 20's vs the pass and in the 90's vs the run last week.

Archived