Is Frank Pollack the problem?

I can't make a judgement on Pollack after two weeks and such little practice time with five guys playing together for the first time, with not even one of them having ever played together with another.

I can blame Pollack for not being honest and telling Taylor that they need to get into pre-season games to work get into sync.  I can blame Taylor for not recognizing the same thing and also for not putting them into pre-season games to get them into sync.  All five needed practice time with Pollack's teachings. 

On 9/19/2022 at 4:57 PM, GoBengals said:

if youre not 100% and youre going against parsons youre going to have a bad time,  we faced two teams with the kryptonite to our biggest current weaknesses, oline getting into season form and healthy and a mediocre LG doing his best. it is what it is, we maybe face 2-3 teams with the level of talent in the pass rush the rest of the year, and fingers crossed everyone is all healthy and working together by that point. the nice thing is Burrow eats up teams blitzing him, so we arent often facing more than a 5 man rush, but they are scheming to our weaknesses which is giving Jonah a bad time, loading the left and making Collins take the best guy on the right, he had back surgery like 2 months ago or whenever and faced off against Watt and parsons. maybe alright to take a deep breath on collins for the time being.

so that defense held tom brady to 19 points and us to 17 points, im not sure who considered their line worse than ours but they were ranked 4th when the season started and we were ranked 8th, they lost Jensen but still have mostly solid players, and they are performing better overall than ours.

small sample size of course.

image.png

image.png

shit, Carman had 5 things going against him, his initial attitude and offseason health, the injuries, covid first year and moved to new position and new side of ball, then moved again and practiced kinda with some guys he would play with then thrown into preseason work with guys he didnt practice with since no other starters played.

he was fucked over pretty good by himself and health and the team.

Collins has faced possible 2 of the 3 best edge rushers in the game the last two weeks and is a 61, which is better than most of the line last year. I think he will settle in fine.

I agree with you about Collins.  If his back holds up he will probably be fine.  Williams on the other hand...we've seen him get beaten physically on a regular basis for a while now. 

Back to Carman...since when is moving a guy around such a big deal?  Volson has been moved around.  Unless you are a high round LT most OL get moved around when they come into the league.  If you're too stupid to figure it out the NFL stands for "not for long."  Every OL that whines about wanting to play this side or that side sucks.  You hear this now and then and those guys always wash out.  Just and excuse.  Carman also has the same problem as Williams.  Carman regularly gets backed up into the pocket when one on one.  Either his technique is crap or he's not strong enough, or both.  Carman signed a $7M contract.  The team needs him to adapt.  Either get with it or get out.

Fantastic thread and lots of good insight most of which I agree with.

I don't necessarily think that Pollack is completely the problem  but this O line

is the Perfect Storm.  Perfect Shit Storm.

None of them have ever played together before.  No one knew any other O linemen before they got here.

They are not going to operate like the well oiled machine of Munoz, Montoya, Mike Wilson et al days.

At least for awhile.

Some are not performing up to our preseason expectations.  Collins is a prime example.  He came in with a bad

back and that doesn't go away.  He is worse than Reiff was and we let him walk.

Nothing new with Williams.  He never could handle an out side rush.  He's gone when is contract is up and 

pray for a decent comp pick.  Speaking of outside rushers, hello, Carl Lawson.  Remember him?  Hope he continues

to run past the quarterback rather than to him and make the play.  

(OT but hello, Sauce Gardner, too...)

Liked someone's comment that Spain was never forgiven for giving up the final sack that lost us the Super Bowl.

Yeah, not enough time playing together and/or against real competition in pre season.  First offensive snap of

the first game was their first time together and... a sack.

Also about training camp, not enough time experimenting ie how about Volson as an OT and Joni at guard?

Whitworth was a Guard in college and Max Montoya an O Tackle.

Flounder Carman... fat, drunk and stupid.

Who IS the leader of the O line?

Not sure where this is going.  Should improve and I am fairly OK with the middle of the line and think they will improve.

But our OT's are horrible.  Joni is showing even more than in past years.  Other teams are picking up on that and exploiting

it as a weakness.  A major one.  I doubt if Collins is here next year and a real high pick will be OT.

The woefully predictable play calling and how long it takes to get the plays off do not help.  At all.

D's have forever to read and adjust after they come to the line.  And they now have a pretty good idea what is coming, anyway.

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I agree with you about Collins.  If his back holds up he will probably be fine.  Williams on the other hand...we've seen him get beaten physically on a regular basis for a while now. 

Back to Carman...since when is moving a guy around such a big deal?  Volson has been moved around.  Unless you are a high round LT most OL get moved around when they come into the league.  If you're too stupid to figure it out the NFL stands for "not for long."  Every OL that whines about wanting to play this side or that side sucks.  You hear this now and then and those guys always wash out.  Just and excuse.  Carman also has the same problem as Williams.  Carman regularly gets backed up into the pocket when one on one.  Either his technique is crap or he's not strong enough, or both.  Carman signed a $7M contract.  The team needs him to adapt.  Either get with it or get out.

Typically good Olinemen regardless of position don't get moved around. They didn't do that for Stienbach, he came in as the LG and stayed LG. I guess you could argue Whit but he was always drafted to be Levi's replacement in a year. 

I've wanted to give Carman a chance as I do think he has the physical tools and a higher ceiling than Volson, but he came into camp last year out of shape which is unprofessional, this year he came in much better, but he can't beat out a 4th round rookie? I'm not sure he will ever be anything more than a backup at this point.

With Jonah, the team is somewhat stuck. He is OK but not great or elite and there is a shortgae of "good' OL in the league let alone great or elite ones. So we may have to overpay him as the alternative is worse. We could tag him I guess and then at least it is a dhort term solution. I think we will have to just keep drafting more OL every year.

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

With Jonah, the team is somewhat stuck. He is OK but not great or elite and there is a shortgae of "good' OL in the league let alone great or elite ones. So we may have to overpay him as the alternative is worse. We could tag him I guess and then at least it is a dhort term solution. I think we will have to just keep drafting more OL every year.

I think a first or second round tackle is a priority next draft.

Archived