J-E-T-S Week

On 9/21/2022 at 10:48 AM, Griever said:

Joe Burrow: We’ve just got to stop beating ourselves

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/21/joe-burrow-weve-just-got-to-stop-beating-ourselves/

The Bengals have started the season 0-2, with quarterback Joe Burrow taking a whopping 13 sacks in the first two games.

But the young quarterback said on Wednesday that the sky isn’t falling.

“We’ve just got to stop beating ourselves,” Burrow said in his press conference. “The first game, first drive, pick-six. Next drive, fumble — give them 10 points off the bat and now we’re playing from behind. Defenses can pin their ears back, play third-down defense, don’t have to get up and challenge us. Same thing next game, we get down 14-3 early, starting in first-and-15s for the first three drives. And now they can play third-down defense, they can mix up the looks. They’re not afraid of the run game because they’re winning by 11 points.

“We’ve just got to quit beating ourselves, start faster, and then we’ll get more chances.”

But the team certainly has to address its pass protection, especially considering the investments the Bengals made in their offensive line over the offseason. Burrow said he’s “very comfortable” with the offensive line and can help out the unit by getting rid of the ball faster.

“Those guys are working hard to get right,” Burrow said. “I can do a lot more to help them, too. And we can do more with play-calling to help them as well. So, we’re getting this thing right. Nobody’s panicking.”

As Burrow later noted, the offensive unit has to be in sync as a whole.

“You can go and win on every route, but if you don’t have the protection, it doesn’t matter,” Burrow said. “And you can protect for as long as you want, but if you don’t go win, it doesn’t matter. It all works together.”

Burrow was close to going Full Aaron Rodgers when reiterating that while the team has a sense of urgency after starting 0-2, there’s no reason to go overboard.

“Myself, everyone is frustrated,” Burrow said. “But like I said, we’re not panicking. Two games in — we’ve got 15 games left. Let’s all just take a deep breath and relax. We’re going to be fine. We’re not worried about it.”

They’ll have a chance to start getting things right against the Jets on Sunday.

Well, he's certainly right about the slow starts and the beating themselves factor. I still love Burrow, but I'm baffled by a few things. How is he, "very comfortable", with the offensive line? I struggle to remember a pocket collapsing so quickly, so often. They finished the last few games last year averaging about 6 sacks a game, then start the first two games averaging 6.5 sacks per game. With a new o line! The NFL average is around 1.7 sacks per game. Baffling. Seemingly everything they're doing early is exacerbating the problem. They look lost and this is when the plays are scripted. It seems like Joe has to use nearly the whole play clock to audible everyone into position for a no gain draw up the middle, but nobody seems to notice Parsons unaccounted for multiple times on pass plays? I'm not without hope. I bought into the idea that is was just knocking off the rust in game one. Dallas was much tougher. I honestly don't even know where most of the blame would go, but I'm just hoping they turn it around and it's a moot point.

On 9/23/2022 at 11:44 AM, A Rock said:

Well, he's certainly right about the slow starts and the beating themselves factor. I still love Burrow, but I'm baffled by a few things. How is he, "very comfortable", with the offensive line?

He's clearly not but he's also too much of a leader to throw those guys under the bus in the media.

1 hour ago, A Rock said:

I get that, but "very comfortable" is laying it on a little thick. 

"How awful is your OL and are you scared you might die? How comfortable are you in the pocket while worrying about how the OL said you suck and also how you might die?"

"Uh.. Very comfortable?"

JOE BURROW CLAIMS HE IS "VERY COMFORTABLE" WITH BENGALS OL!!

Media tend to be jackals and none are worse than sports media.

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

"How awful is your OL and are you scared you might die? How comfortable are you in the pocket while worrying about how the OL said you suck and also how you might die?"

"Uh.. Very comfortable?"

JOE BURROW CLAIMS HE IS "VERY COMFORTABLE" WITH BENGALS OL!!

Media tend to be jackals and none are worse than sports media.

Be very wary when they will start with the “sources tell us…” story lines

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Who is wearing the Mickey Mouse hat in the second pic.

And the bus company called and wants La'eel Collins to return their seat covers.

Maybe the plan is to secretly swap him for an actual bus seat at the last minute & hope no one notices.  That way the DE will at least have to go around something.

Archived