Rats Week and a Half

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/columnists/jason-williams/2022/10/07/

Williams: Prediction for Cincinnati Bengals at Baltimore Ravens on Sunday Night Football

1398199394000-jwilliams.jpg?width=48&heiJason Williams     Cincinnati Enquirer

Both teams have underachieved so far.

The Ravens are a hard to team to figure out. They’re 0-2 at home, having blown double-digit halftime leads against Miami and Buffalo. Baltimore’s offense was comatose in the second half in both games, including being held scoreless in last week’s 23-20 loss to the Bills.

But this is for first place in the AFC North. It's on Sunday Night Football. M&T Bank Stadium might be the wildest primetime atmosphere in the NFL.

It’s not an ideal setting for the Bengals offense, which is getting better but still has issues. Crowd noise could be a factor for an offense that continues to have long stretches of ineptitude in games. The Ravens defense leads the NFL with 10 takeaways. A turnover in that environment could be detrimental for the Bengals, who've been terrible at running the ball.

Bengals vs. Ravens | Joe Burrow:‘We know what kind of team they are’: How Joe Burrow is preparing for showdown with Ravens

It feels like a toss-up game. Home-field advantage could be the difference. Baltimore is 18-2 in home primetime games since John Harbaugh took over as head coach in 2008.

Prediction: Bengals lose, 24-23

Last week: Cincinnati defeated Miami, 27-15, on Sept. 29. I predicted the Bengals would win, 21-17.

My season record: 3-1

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2022/10/07/what-bengals-must-do-to-beat-ravens-on-sunday-night-football/

Three keys to Bengals vs. Ravens that lead to Cincinnati taking the AFC North lead

Kelsey Conway  :wub:       Cincinnati Enquirer

The Cincinnati Bengals will be playing in another electric atmosphere on Sunday night when they travel to Baltimore to take on the Ravens for NBC's "Sunday Night Football" at M&T Bank Stadium.

It's a big game for both teams. The Ravens are coming off two home losses and the Bengals are looking to take the lead in the AFC North. After dropping the Week 1 season-opener to the Stealers, Cincinnati needs to start stacking wins in the division.

Bengals vs Ravens prediction:Columnist Jason Williams unsure if Cincinnati can get the win

Ja'Marr Chase:The importance of the Bengals wide receiver's ability to handle success

The matchup between the Ravens and Bengals is highlighted by the two star quarterbacks: Joe Burrow and Lamar Jackson. It appears football fans can count on this game being one of the more entertaining games for the foreseeable future given the ages of Jackson and Burrow.

Here's what the Bengals must do to beat the Ravens and improve to 3-2 on the year:

Don't turn the ball over

The Ravens are one of the best teams in the league in taking the ball away. They are tied for first in the NFL with 10 takeaways. Since the Week 1 loss to Pittsburgh when Burrow threw four interceptions, Cincinnati's QB 1 has done a much better job of taking care of the ball. The less opportunities Jackson is on the field, the better for the Bengals. Burrow said the Ravens' defensive backs play with a lot of confidence and will try and force him to make throws in tight windows. How risky can Burrow be? We'll see. In order to win in Baltimore, unleashing the explosive passing attack could certainly help. Burrow just has to find the right mix of when he needs to throw the ball away and when he can take some risks.

Force Lamar Jackson to beat you with his arm, not his legs

Jackson is one of one at his position. There's no one in the NFL who can run the ball like he can and pass as well as he can. He's the ultimate dual-threat quarterback and Baltimore's offense is tailored around his ability to do both. When the Bengals were successful in 2021 against Jackson, it was because they got pressure on him and contained him in the pocket. Cincinnati's defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo's game plan worked beautifully as the Bengals hit Jackson seven times and sacked him five times. If he gets out the pocket, that's when he can do the most damage with his feet.

Lamar Jackson:Why the Ravens star requires different preparation than most QBs

To put into perspective how good of a runner Jackson is, he has more rushing yards (316) on fewer carries (37) than Bengals’ Pro Bowl running back Joe Mixon who has 221 yards on 82 attempts.

The Ravens feed off Jackson’s energy and if he’s able to gash the Bengals on a few designed runs, they are a hard team to beat when playing with confidence.

Get off to another fast start

Cincinnati is a much better offense when they get in rhythm early in the game. It’s evident when you look at how their two wins, against the Jets and Dolphins, unfolded. When they haven’t, the offense has often looked disoriented. If the Bengals can build a lead on the Ravens in front of their crowd, especially through the air, the Bengals should be too much for Baltimore to handle offensively. The Ravens are giving up the most passing yards of any team in the NFL currently, and Cincinnati should use that to its advantage early on.

15 hours ago, GoBengals said:

can we stop pretending th eline just needs to gel, volson sucks, Collins is injured, and williams isnt good enough to be left on an island next to volson, who sucks.

top pass rush teams are going to give us a headache no matter what this year. you can probably uncross your fingers. thats life in the nfl.

"Top" is an improvement from "any", which I agree is about all we could realistically have hoped for in one offseason.  I do think the OL is better.  I do not think they are good.

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Inactives

• CB Cam Taylor-Britt
  • RB Trayveon Williams
  • OT D’Ante Smith
  • OG Jackson Carman
  • DT Jay Tufele

This may seem a little off, but why havent we tried to try Carmen at LT?? He was that at Clemson and seemed to be ok there, why have we have to force him into another position where he is so problematic??

15 hours ago, DanvilleBengal said:

This may seem a little off, but why havent we tried to try Carmen at LT?? He was that at Clemson and seemed to be ok there, why have we have to force him into another position where he is so problematic??

Because we don't want to kill Joe Burrow?  If he can't stick at guard I don't have much hope for him at LT.  That's an experiment for a training camp QB 2 months ago.

19 hours ago, DanvilleBengal said:

One would have to think if he could adequately protect Sunshine against a concerted NCAA rush, he should not fall too far off? 

Watching Adeniji last night during his brief stint at LT was almost painful. Yes, he was doing OK at keeping his rusher from getting by--but he was holding (a LOT) on each play. Was amazed it wasn't called 

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

One would have to think if he could adequately protect Sunshine against a concerted NCAA rush, he should not fall too far off? 

Watching Adeniji last night during his brief stint at LT was almost painful. Yes, he was doing OK at keeping his rusher from getting by--but he was holding (a LOT) on each play. Was amazed it wasn't called 

Holding is only a rule for when the refs need it.  90% of the time they just ignore it.

On 10/9/2022 at 9:55 PM, DanvilleBengal said:

Poor technique and physical fitness is an even bigger liability at tackle than guard.

40 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

At this point he is a total bust and it is difficult to envision a recovery from that status.

“Hit me in the head with a hammer the next time I take a dumb guy." - Jimmy Johnson

4 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

At this point he is a total bust and it is difficult to envision a recovery from that status.

My gut says all our reserve linemen will never peak as average..

No faith in any of them..

Just hoping the starters can stay healthy and maintain their mediocrity ..

Its a bad situation..

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

My gut says all our reserve linemen will never peak as average..

No faith in any of them..

Just hoping the starters can stay healthy and maintain their mediocrity ..

Its a bad situation..

As I’ve said before, it’s absolutely incredible that in 10 years of drafting the Bengals have produced exactly two starting offensive linemen.  Jonah Williams and Cordell Volson.   

4 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

As I’ve said before, it’s absolutely incredible that in 10 years of drafting the Bengals have produced exactly two starting offensive linemen.  Jonah Williams and Cordell Volson.   

Pffft..  You want to see incredible? Watch any of those guys squirt some ketchup.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2022 at 8:17 PM, Griever said:

On 10/8/2022 at 9:06 PM, BengalBuck said:

On 10/8/2022 at 9:08 PM, Jamie_B said:

Order includes 2 bags, but yeah still overpriced 

On 10/8/2022 at 9:11 PM, High School Harry said:

Inflation is a bitch.

On 10/8/2022 at 10:56 PM, GoBengals said:

theyre mail order chips how much did you think theyd be?thats a good $13 shipping USPS, then whatever fool they paying to pack chips, i assume they are $8-12 at the store.. anyone know?

On 10/9/2022 at 8:20 AM, High School Harry said:

For anyone still interested...

I picked up a bag of Uno's BBQ chips at the older Kroger in Milford (OH) yesterday...and no I didn't see Harry there but it was game-day and he was prolly already at the stadium :).  They were $3.49 a bag for a medium size bag (7 or 8 oz?) at a big end cap display near the back of the store.  Really tasty with a sweet mesquite BBQ flavoring.  I know I've had those same chips but called something else...maybe the chips at Jimmy Johns?  Anyway, not as expensive as I thought they'd be, good consistency/crisp, and very tasty IMHO.  I'd like to think my timely purchase helped fuel yesterday's victory against the Panthers.

Archived