Aftermath and Good/Bad/Ugly

Just throwing this up here now for input from all the good folk here.

Have to be someplace and rushing.

Sorry for those of you who were not there.

The pregame light show was spectacular!

Super props to Pumpkin's daughters for coming up with that.

More to come from me, but outta here.

Good:  "Just win Baby!" We won. The O-line keeping JB on his feet.  Apple getting over Hill.  The Defense in general, held Miami to 15 pts.

Bad: The offense still dealing with stall outs.  I blame the run game still not being all the way together.

Ugly: Tua getting injured and all things associated around that. 

Sure as fuck am glad we are not rooting for the franchise that has its owner suspended, who just had a first round draft pick taken, who was part of the Brady tampering shenanigans, and who just rushed their QB into the game last night while clearly covering up a concussion. 

As for the bengals, just glad to see them look more like themselves again. I suspect that a lot of us (me included) have seriously underestimated just how fucked up Burrow was by his appendix exploding. I think he's still not back to where he was in terms of core strength and I think we are seeing progress now week to week but it makes sense it has taken some time. Still perplexed by whatever has happened to Mixon. Just no burst right now. Hope he can get that back. 

1 minute ago, Cricket said:

Bad: Going got it on fourth down when our running game has obviously not been producing.

In fairness, ZT learned from that and kicked a field goal in 4th for lead rather than go for it on 4th and goal from the 1.   Need to figure out what is going on with Mixon/running game in any event. If they can sort that out offense as a whole will start to feel more normal coupled with Burrow getting back to full health. 

36 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I didn't have any problem going for it, the analytics said it was a good call, I had issues with the play call

Do the analytics take into account said team’s success (or lack thereof) in running the ball?  Or is it just a general, overall analytic that allegedly applies to every team?  [Not being a smartass; seriously asking.]

:shrug: 

[How many of us recall the days when the stealers would have the lead and were trying to run out the clock…or it was simply a 3rd-and-two.  EVERYONE in the stadium knew that Jerome Bettus was going to get the rock…and teams couldn’t stop him.  I want some of that action for our team.]

5 minutes ago, Cricket said:

[How many of us recall the days when the stealers would have the lead and were trying to run out the clock…or it was simply a 3rd-and-two.  EVERYONE in the stadium knew that Jerome Bettus was going to get the rock…and teams couldn’t stop him.  I want some of that action for our team.]

Haven't seen a back like that here since Rudi, which not coincidentally was also the last time we had a really good OL.  We're going to need a better OL before we see another RB like that unless we miraculously draft the next Barry Sanders.

8 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Do the analytics take into account said team’s success (or lack thereof) in running the ball?  Or is it just a general, overall analytic that allegedly applies to every team?  [Not being a smartass; seriously asking.]

:shrug: 

My understanding at least from the announcers last night was the analytics for going for it on 4th, not so much the play call itself

5 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

My understanding at least from the announcers last night was the analytics for going for it on 4th, not so much the play call itself

My question about “the analytics being used” is: Are the analytics that are being used the same for every team, or are they team-specific?  

Is the “56% chance of success” based upon historical data of all NFL teams, or have teams had the foresight to generate their own analytics based upon the strengths and weaknesses of their own team?  

Or do coaching staffs simply use the data generated from all NFL teams…and then they just consider their team’s abilities against that?

Never mind.  It’s probably just the latter.. 

1 minute ago, Cricket said:

My question about “the analytics being used” is: Are the analytics that are being used the same for every team, or are they team-specific?  

Is the “56% chance of success” based upon historical data of all NFL teams, or have teams had the foresight to generate their own analytics based upon the strengths and weaknesses of their own team?  

Or do coaching staffs simply use the data generated from all NFL teams…and then they just consider their team’s abilities against that?

Never mind.  It’s probably just the latter.. 

I believe we have our own analytics guy so I'd guess it's both?

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Haven't seen a back like that here since Rudi, which not coincidentally was also the last time we had a really good OL.  We're going to need a better OL before we see another RB like that unless we miraculously draft the next Barry Sanders.

F-ing Corey Dillon, man. Imagine having him with a good line.

4 hours ago, membengal said:

I suspect that a lot of us (me included) have seriously underestimated just how fucked up Burrow was by his appendix exploding. I think he's still not back to where he was in terms of core strength and I think we are seeing progress now week to week but it makes sense it has taken some time. 

Exactly.

Reading the game day thread and Uncle Earl was saying the same thing.

I told my son at the game that Joe was having an off night.

The accuracy simply was not there.

Hopefully what they were calling the "mini bye week" will give Joe more time go get back to normal

and not mistake his grandmother's interior decorator for his tailor.

5 hours ago, T-Dub said:

2? 3? sacks the last two games is great.  Hopefully it really was a combination of rust and opening the season against a couple of really good pass rushing teams.

These guys have never played together. Hopefully they will gel and we will have a top offensive line. 

38 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Burrow was very pleased with his OL ... 

IMG_20220930_191037.jpg

IMG_20220930_191205.jpg

This is how you lead. This is why having chemistry or forming chemistry is so important. I remember seeing that and was wondering what he was telling them.

avid Smith
Fri, September 30, 2022, 5:01 AM

Dolphins wide receiver Tyreek Hill was angry at a Bengals assistant coach after Thursday night’s game.
Hill said a coach whose name he doesn’t know said something objectionable, and that Hill plans to find the man and address it with him.
“Whichever coach that is, I’m gonna come find you bro,” Hill said, via Marcel Louis-Jacques of ESPN. “Me and you gotta have a mano a mano conversation. ‘Cause at the end of the day I felt disrespected as a man.”
As angry as Hill was at the coach, Hill was magnanimous toward Bengals defensive lineman Josh Tupou, who threw Tua Tagovailoa to the turf, causing a head and neck injury that resulted in Tagovailoa being stretchered off the field.
“The Bengal player who made the sack, he wasn’t trying to do anything dirty, he was just playing ball,” Hill said.
Hill had an outstanding game on Thursday night, catching 10 passes for 160 yards. Hill currently leads the NFL with 477 receiving yards.

4 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Luckily, even a Joe off night gets the job done ... 

IMG_20220930_190759.jpg

Off night for Joe..

31 passes 287yrds..9.3ypa..3tds..0ints..

If he wanted to complete 75% of his passes on dink throws he probably could.

He airs it out and makes big plays by it.

That's his game..

4 hours ago, Gary said:

This is how you lead. This is why having chemistry or forming chemistry is so important. I remember seeing that and was wondering what he was telling them.

Yep.  I wouldn’t say that OL is good yet, but Burrow knows what to say.  How he plays is a different story. He isn’t confident in the pocket yet.  He is checking down FAST.  Hopefully by Decembe he will have the confidence to wait for his studs to get open downfield.  

Archived