Dirty Birds Week

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

ATL looked fairly good today against SF. They too are 3-3 and have drawn into a tie with Tampa Brady in the NFC South. 

No gimme here next week. 

I sat 2 weeks ago and watched Atlanta run for over 200 yards against Cleveland with a bunch of no name running backs (Cordarelle Patterson only ran for 38 yards) so our run defense better get fixed quickly, although Mariota only threw 19 times in that game.

8 hours ago, Shebengal said:

I sat 2 weeks ago and watched Atlanta run for over 200 yards against Cleveland with a bunch of no name running backs (Cordarelle Patterson only ran for 38 yards) so our run defense better get fixed quickly, although Mariota only threw 19 times in that game.

And the hits just keep comin:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/10/16/23407676/logan-wilson-injury-update-bengals-news-shoulder-linebacker

I was really encouraged by what I saw out of the O on sunday. It looks like they may have figured out how to beat 2 deep. If they can continue that but this time get off to a faster start and take the other teams's running game out of it these next few weeks I think weill be ok. 

If the other teams keep pace or we cant start fast, then I'm worried about the D until Reader comes back. Last season when Logan went down we played decent enough to have the impact be small, this season we have Davis-Gaither on the field, and we play ALOT of Nickle so we don't put 3 LBs on the field as much, which will help with Logan being gone. But having Reader on the field is key. 

The Reader injury was reported as a 6 week one, which puts him back after the bye, but he did travel with the team this week and tweeted that he feels good, so maybe well get lucky and he can return sooner. Because right now we can be run on and I don't like that.

These injuries suck but it's the NFL and these things happen. Gotta move on, next man up. Overall we're not doing bad injury-wise. That said, stopping the run is the key to this week's game. We will lose if we can't stop the run. Our offense only got in 51 plays yesterday, while the Saints had over 70. That's because their RBs were gaining over 5 yds a pop and Hill averaged nearly 8 yds on 5 carries. I hope Shelvinator can rise to the occasion but we still don't know if he's an NFL player

15 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

These injuries suck but it's the NFL and these things happen. Gotta move on, next man up. Overall we're not doing bad injury-wise. That said, stopping the run is the key to this week's game. We will lose if we can't stop the run. Our offense only got in 51 plays yesterday, while the Saints had over 70. That's because their RBs were gaining over 5 yds a pop and Hill averaged nearly 8 yds on 5 carries. I hope Shelvinator can rise to the occasion but we still don't know if he's an NFL player

It also would make sense to use the run game to keep the defense off the field more.  The Bengals averaged more than 5ypc yesterday, but only handed the ball off 10 times!  I know they were trailing, but you don't have to shelve the run game, especially when it's working, until the fourth quarter.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/logan-wilson-jeff-gunter-injury-135101751.html

Logan Wilson, Jeff Gunter injury concerns for Bengals

**Posted whole article elsewhere but worth mentioning here since injuries are being discussed.  Says Gunther taken off on a cart during pregame warm ups.  So do we hit the waiver wire for a rent-a-Dlineman temp (Suh?) or In Shelvin We Trust?  Tupo was dinged, too.

Get off to a fast start and force Marriota to keep up, and it's a W.

I hate pulling for the Browns but I will, i'm not sure they can win it without Lamar throwing picks like he did this past week. On the flip side the Browns still have a good D and good running game which can keep Lamar off the field. So who knows.

Return of Tua?  Also is that a good idea for Miami against a pretty good pass rush? Pitt at this point is mostly irrelevant but could sneak back into it.

October 18th, 2022 at 3:10pm CST by Sam Robinson

Off to a 3-3 start that places them in a tie atop the NFC South, the Falcons will be tasked with staying on that pace without one of their starting cornerbacks. Casey Hayward is now on IR.

USATSI_17393703-225x300.jpgThe Falcons moved the free agency acquisition to their injured list because of a shoulder injury. Arthur Smith said Monday the team worried about this injury affecting Hayward for a while. He will be out at least four weeks because of the ailment.

At 33, Hayward joins the Saints’ Chris Harris as the NFL’s oldest active corners. The Falcons signed Hayward to a two-year, $11MM deal this offseason and have used him as a starter opposite A.J. Terrell. The former Packers draftee has made 118 career starts and is now with his fourth franchise, having teamed with Gus Bradley with both the Chargers and Raiders. Pro Football Focus graded Hayward as a top-15 corner in 2021; the advanced metrics site has assigned him a middle-of-the-pack mark (50th) thus far this season.

This Hayward news comes just after the Falcons brought Isaiah Oliver off IR. Terrell suffered a thigh injury during the team’s win over the 49ers, but he remains on Atlanta’s active roster. The Falcons are still in good shape, activations-wise, having only used one of their eight IR-return spots this season. Hayward figures to be one of Atlanta’s IR-return moves this year. The team passed on activating Deion Jones from IR, instead trading the veteran linebacker to the Browns.

Darren Hall and Dee Alford were in for Hayward and Terrell against San Francisco, and AtlantaFalcons.com’s Tori McElhaney expects the former to take over for Hayward alongside Terrell. A fourth-round 2021 draft choice out of San Diego State, Hall played a season-high 38 defensive snaps against the 49ers.

On 10/17/2022 at 12:32 PM, Jamie_B said:

Damn!  Was hoping he wouldn't miss any time.  I didn't see the game (paid for NFL+ Sunday morning only to have every single game blacked out except for audio...what's the fuckin' point!!!), so I had no idea how bad he was hurt.

We'll try to get to the bye with next man up and then have four weeks to heal.

We

Hopefully on the lower side of that. I suspect he wont be back till after the bye. Same with Reader.

Atlanta apparently has the 3rd ranked running O, and Cleveland has Chubb, the Defense is going to be tested in the next 2 weeks. Getting the O off to a fast start and forcing both teams to play keep up is crucial.

If we can get through the next two weeks with wins, and get healthy after the bye I feel good about where we are at.

21 minutes ago, membengal said:

Yeah, after the bye seems like a decent guess. Could be much worse. 

Difference between last year and this year losing him was we didn't have Davis-Gaither so we were down to 1 starting LB when he went down, though Bachie played decently in his place. But he's out too. Hope Johnston can contribute.

Archived