Why is everyone just ignoring how bad Volson is?

Volson is terrible. Absolutely terrible. He has played poorly game after game after game.

aside from the obvious horrible plays he had, on one play his guy shoved him back, the DE then while engaged with jonah, pushed him towards center, and ran around the edge to go after burrow.

the guy hasnt looked like an nfl caliber pass blocker yet. he is incredibly weak, gets moved with little effort by every level of talent he faced.

Everyone pretended it wasnt happening in the preseason, and everyone is in here yapping about jonah, have you seen what jonah is dealing with out there? he is on an island by himself, actually worse than that, he is on an island with his guy and has to try to account for volsons fuckery as well. Jonah is screwed. he was already an average LT, but sitting there next to Volson is like taking rapid fire on every pass play.

did yall not see Volson pull on the Mixon run to the right, and the guy he was blocking just shoved him left, maybe with one hand and tackled mixon as he hit the hole?

yall arent watching this?

jesus christ this dude is terrible.

lets make one thing VERY clear. for the Jonah haters.

he is average, im not saying he isnt, but at average he is a 67+ in pass blocking, which has him almost exactly middle of the pack.

you guys do realize that means there are a BUNCH of guys playin worse at LT than he is right? ther are 10+ starting LT way way worse than jonah. 

id love to have a better LT, you know thats not easy to find right? 

wild

Volson was drafted to be a project player, He isnt stupid and doesnt have an attitude or an effort problem or anything, can he get stronger? sure, not in the next 2-3 months, can he get faster? probably, not in the next 2-3 months.

It's stuff like this that drives me away from this board. Volson has been fine. He's a rookie and will continue to get better. Go got embarrassed with some weird doubling down on Carman so he's gonna shit on Volson for a decade. Fuck that.  I've been ignoring it but clearly this is gonna be Go's new thing. Enjoy, I guess?

I sometimes wonder what it is you are seeing that somehow nobody else is, and I don't mean that as a slight at all, I mean it as a I don't see what you see.

Typically I measure Olinemen being successful if I don't have to talk about them. 

Volson has been fine fir the most part, as a rookie. Jonah has had a few struggles but has been a middle of the road LT, and not as bad as some like to say, and I suspect will be the LT around here for a long time.

I HOPE that Collins is at least part  a issue with not being 100% because he has been pretty bad, and some of it is missed assignments and that is not injury related. I hope he gets it right because he has been the worst one on the line so far. ...... And it's not close.

Volson has played 6 games.  Six.  Should he be a starting guard in the NFL?  Probably not, but it's pretty obvious that the Bengals have no better. 

As far as Williams goes he's been around for five years, only playing four.  He is who he is going to be, which is not very good.  Left Tackles are supposed to be on an island vs. defensive ends.  That's why they get paid so much.  I understand a guy would need help against some of the best rushers, but often that comes from a RB.  Suggesting that Williams has issues because Volson can't help him is an indictment of Williams. 

I also agree with some others here.  This Volson thing looks a lot like an obsession.

4 hours ago, membengal said:

It's stuff like this that drives me away from this board. Volson has been fine. He's a rookie and will continue to get better. Go got embarrassed with some weird doubling down on Carman so he's gonna shit on Volson for a decade. Fuck that.  I've been ignoring it but clearly this is gonna be Go's new thing. Enjoy, I guess?

he is his new Andy 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2022 at 1:11 PM, spicoli said:

Volson is going from a starting LT at tiny ND St to a starter in the NFL....

I didnt expect him to be good year one..if the team sees improvement in his play who are we to keep hammering him?

Trent Williams is considered the best LT in the league.

His first year he gave up. 11sacks with 6 penalties..

37 minutes ago, TigerJ@w said:

Fine wine doesn’t make itself over night.  I like how the guy has played so far. We shall see how he progresses.  4th rounder from a small school and became a starter.  You have to give it up for the guy. 

And Cappa from Humboldt State—that doesn’t even have a football program any longer! 

Love these guys! 

3 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I have no issues with Volson, even first rd OL struggle to adapt . Let’s not think all OL are Munoz plug and play. 

Volson is far better already than Cartman and better than that other 4th round OL fail Jordan was . 

Cartman is so well thought of he has exactly 0 snaps this year on offense.   

I believe Volson is the only rookie olineman who has taken every offensive snap for his team. 

13 hours ago, SF2 said:

I believe Volson is the only rookie olineman who has taken every offensive snap for his team. 

where as i believe Volson is playing like a 1st year 4th rounder, it looks like he is learning with out putting the team (or Burrow) to much in a hole.  

However, when talking about the bengals and players playing, they used to go around bragging how good the small 2 person scouting dept was because we have more draft picks starting for our team then most the league, ... of course we sucked , and most of them did too, and probably nobody else wanted them .....

but we  did have the most players drafted by their original team   playing or on the roster

13 hours ago, SF2 said:

Cartman is so well thought of he has exactly 0 snaps this year on offense.   

I think we can officially refer to Carman as a bust.  It’s not like there weren’t red flags all around the guy.  All the same, I baked Carman a cake.  

3209F3A1-CBF9-45EF-8C9C-7C9CFA45EFA3.webp

6 hours ago, stryker57 said:

where as i believe Volson is playing like a 1st year 4th rounder, it looks like he is learning with out putting the team (or Burrow) to much in a hole.  

However, when talking about the bengals and players playing, they used to go around bragging how good the small 2 person scouting dept was because we have more draft picks starting for our team then most the league, ... of course we sucked , and most of them did too, and probably nobody else wanted them .....

but we  did have the most players drafted by their original team   playing or on the roster

There was a good article in the Enquirer today about how well the scouting department has done in finding depth for the defense. I would link it but I think it’s subscriber only.

6 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Good poont but Who were those 4 players the Chiefs added?

Orlando Brown, Joe Thuney, Creed Humphrey, Trey Smith.

It should go without saying that those 4 new addition easily trumps Cincinnati's. Kansas City did it with a big trade, a big- money free agent pickup and 2 great draft picks.

Archived