Why is everyone just ignoring how bad Volson is?

17 minutes ago, dex said:

Orlando Brown, Joe Thuney, Creed Humphrey, Trey Smith.

It should go without saying that those 4 new addition easily trumps Cincinnati's. Kansas City did it with a big trade, a big- money free agent pickup and 2 great draft picks.

Humphrey and Smith were great picks..

Their oline may be top 3 right now..

Dangerous team...

7 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

"True Passing Sets" sounds like a great way to throw out any play that doesn't match their expectations.  Volson on his back, arms & legs kicking like a turtle? We'll just skip that one, it wasn't a True pass.

PFF is nothing if not creative.

True passing sets is a legit metic...it takes out play action (where the OL SHOULD have an advantage) and only includes straight drop backs or shotgun passes (w/ no play action)...at least that's how I understand it.

1 hour ago, WRAPradio said:

True passing sets is a legit metic...it takes out play action (where the OL SHOULD have an advantage) and only includes straight drop backs or shotgun passes (w/ no play action)...at least that's how I understand it.

I'd have to see his PFF rating (lol) when they don't take out those plays to judge.  Does his score jump considerably?

What does 97.3% Pass Blocking Efficiency even mean?  If they can explain to me in simple terms how he is 3.7 away from perfect I will start taking PFF seriously.

14 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I'm no PFF fan, but I think it's safe to say that Volson is doing just fine.  I'm not suggesting he's going to the Pro Bowl or anything, but for a fourth round pick starting as a rookie he gets an A+ from me.

Agree.

Plus, like Marvin always said, "I continue to see improvement every week".

Volson is thriving with the OJT and Trial by Fire.

Maybe the addition of Jonah Adanajii at OLT will help, too.

12 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Agree.

Plus, like Marvin always said, "I continue to see improvement every week".

Volson is thriving with the OJT and Trial by Fire.

Maybe the addition of Jonah Adanajii at OLT will help, too.

He's been serviceable lately.  3% shy of perfect is an absurd claim.

• 4 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Volson is the best OL from the entire 2022 draft. 

And yes I'm fully serious. 

If anything, the thread title should be, “Is Jonah Williams worth $12.6 million in 2023?”

15 minutes ago, SF2 said:

If anything, the thread title should be, “Is Jonah Williams worth $12.6 million in 2023?”

The answer is no, but the alternative is even worse.  Better than average LTs are rarely available and if they are they cost a LOT.

14 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Seeing how hard it is to find left tackles and how low in the draft we will be picking, yes.

Is he good? No. Is he serviceable? Yes

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Seeing how hard it is to find left tackles and how low in the draft we will be picking, yes.

Is he good? No. Is he serviceable? Yes

That's the rub.

Can we replace him without grossly overpaying another Collins/Cordy Glenn/etc type free agent that's really more of a side-grade?  Doubtful.

Can we replace him without giving up draft picks better spent addressing bigger needs elsewhere?  Also doubtful.

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

That's the rub.

Can we replace him without grossly overpaying another Collins/Cordy Glenn/etc type free agent that's really more of a side-grade?  Doubtful.

Can we replace him without giving up draft picks better spent addressing bigger needs elsewhere?  Also doubtful.

I don't know that we are overpaying Collins, that contract was pretty team friendly. 

I think the best hope is that we can somehow find a Whiteworth type LT where we took Whit high in the 2nd and let him play G for a year.

2 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I don't know that we are overpaying Collins, that contract was pretty team friendly. 

You're right, it's very incentive-heavy.  Something like $100k per start.

I should say that overpaying probably won't get us much improvement over him.  The inconsistent effort is why he was available at a discount.

The team should find out if Adeniji or Prince have improved their pass blocking enough to succeed Williams. Jonah is under contract for 2023 so we're ok for a bit and can draft a project if need be. But he hasn't lived up to his draft status and doesn't deserve a raise over this 5th year option number. 

Archived