3 hours ago, dex said:

How about Terrace Marshall, one of Burrow's WRs at LSU?? A 2021 2nd round pick who hasn't done much at all for Carolina, but they have had huge QB problems. 

Bingo.

We don't need a WR1 like OBJ or Cooks - if any team was well positioned to survive the loss of their WR1 it's the Bengals, who have ANOTHER WR1 in Tee Higgins.  What the team needs is a WR to plop into the depth chart behind Boyd and ahead of Mike Thomas.

https://www.panthers.com/team/players-roster/terrace-marshall-jr/

TMJ is a perfect fit, IMO.  The Panthers are looking to blow-up the roster and rebuild via the draft - Marshall hasn't worked well with the rotating QBs Carolina has been playing with, and when the team gets it all together and has a breakout against the Bucs, TMJ was targeted only 3 times on 21 pass attempts.  Chuba Hubbard had as many targets and receptions as TMJ - he's undervalued, underused, and is on a sinking ship.  I bet we could get him for a 6th round pick.

I believe we've got $3M to play with.  TMJ's contract for the full season is $1.3M.  The Panthers owe him 7 game checks, we'd owe him ten, or approx $770K, so he's affordable.  And whether it's for 4 weeks or the rest of the season, we could do a LOT worse than having a depth chart like this:

Tee Higgins - Tyler Boyd - Terrance Marshall - Mike Thomas - Stanley Morgan - Trent Taylor (PR)

26 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

same type of injury as Bo Jackson and Tab Perry... neither ever played again... this is some scary shit

Bo Jackson and Tab Perry had dislocated hips. That is not the case with Chase. From Paul Dehner:

Despite a significant short-term setback, the prognosis is relatively positive in the long run. Hip injuries can have career-altering implications and end a season when requiring surgery. That is not necessary here. Chase just needs to keep weight off the hip and let the bone heal.

3 minutes ago, dex said:

Bo Jackson and Tab Perry had dislocated hips. That is not the case with Chase. From Paul Dehner:

Despite a significant short-term setback, the prognosis is relatively positive in the long run. Hip injuries can have career-altering implications and end a season when requiring surgery. That is not necessary here. Chase just needs to keep weight off the hip and let the bone heal.

Good, it's just something {I heard on the radio tonight and it freaked me out. 

You know - they just flashed Desean Jackson on the screen, standing on the Ravens sideline.

He's on their practice squad.  That means any of the other 31 teams can swoop in and give him a job.

4-6 weeks of Desean Jackson.... I could get behind that as well - Sporttrac shows him having a paltry $238K contract.  Yeah, he's 35, but it's a rental, not a purchase.

38 minutes ago, AmishBengalFan said:

You know - they just flashed Desean Jackson on the screen, standing on the Ravens sideline.

He's on their practice squad.  That means any of the other 31 teams can swoop in and give him a job.

4-6 weeks of Desean Jackson.... I could get behind that as well - Sporttrac shows him having a paltry $238K contract.  Yeah, he's 35, but it's a rental, not a purchase.

If Desean Jackson isn't good enough to play for the Ravens why would he be good enough to play for the Bengals?  The Ravens WR core is shitty.

4 hours ago, TigerJ@w said:

I want to see what Taylor can do and they still have Morgan and Thomas plus they have two WRs on the Practice Squad in Irwin and Lassiter.  If they go after another WR, I would be shocked.  What would that tell those five WRs if they did?

Isn't Morgan banged up too though?  I can't recall how significant of an injury he has/had but I think he showed up on today's injury report too?

5 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

Looking on the bright side...it's a good thing we have three #1 receivers on the team. 

Sucks that we'll be without arguably the #1 WR in the NFL, but hopefully he's back soon.

there is no scenario where boyd is a #1 on any logical roster. but i agree the other two guys behind chase are very talented. Hurst may see an uptick in target.

5 hours ago, schneiderbengal said:

Not sure why he played the 2nd half? Why aggravate it

i think its pretty clear they didnt know he had a hip fracture, he was dealing with "hip soreness" leading up to the game.

5 hours ago, dex said:

How about Terrace Marshall, one of Burrow's WRs at LSU?? A 2021 2nd round pick who hasn't done much at all for Carolina, but they have had huge QB problems. 

this is the most interesting one.

4 hours ago, TigerJ@w said:

I want to see what Taylor can do and they still have Morgan and Thomas plus they have two WRs on the Practice Squad in Irwin and Lassiter.  If they go after another WR, I would be shocked.  What would that tell those five WRs if they did?

well morgan and thomas suck, taylor could be used on some short quick stuff.

3 hours ago, TigerJ@w said:

You think Brady worried about one-star WR?  I don't think so.  Why would they keep them on the team if they were not good enough to play?

because they play special teams, thats how guys earn the backup spots, is having other roles, typically.

19 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

This is still some scary stuff.  It's a low blood flow area and deep enough inside to make it tough for medical devices to stimulate a blood flow increase.

is blood flow a factor in a bone fracture healing?

26 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

If Desean Jackson isn't good enough to play for the Ravens why would he be good enough to play for the Bengals?  The Ravens WR core is shitty.

He's rehabbing - they put him on the Practice Squad to free up a roster spot.  They're planning to elevate him back to the 53-man roster after their bye - 2 weeks.

5 hours ago, TigerJ@w said:

Lassiter is intriqing from what I saw in preseason..

4-6 weeks isn't a huge deal. I am honestly not worried in the least.
A-The schedule is relatively easy
B-We have incredible QB play....he needs to be able to toss the ball around a bit
C-We are supposed to have smart coaches....they need to be able to scheme without a star
D-We have 2 other stud WRs. Most teams don't have that. Most teams can't compare to Boyd and Higgins.
E-Hurst has been solid. He is on pace to catch 70 balls.

There are a handful of obvious guys.

In house.
1-Mike Thomas-He has never had huge production but he has never been asked to play a major role. His best stats are 13-132-1. He did have an amazing final year in college 71-1,391-19.6-14.
2-Trent Taylor-Obviously he is undersized to play outside but he had a ton of production as recent as his rookie year in 2017, 43-430-2.
3-Stanley Morgan-He has 5 career professional receptions but was coached by Troy Walters at Nebraska and put up great numbers there.
4-Kwamie Lassiter-Flashed in the preseason and has upside. I bet he is just moved and given some snaps.
5-Trenton Irwin-Has always been solid any time he has been called upon

Outside of the roster
1-Terrace Marshall-He makes the most sense. He has played with Chase. Was a high draft pick. Put up 17-138 as a rookie. Has only played in 95 snaps this year.
2-Denzel Mims-He makes the 2nd most sense. His Rookie year he had 23-357. He has played just 24 snaps this year.
3-Auden Tate-He is a known commodity, flashed when he has had an opportunity and is free being on the Eagles practice squad.
4-Bo Melton-One of my favorites in the draft who is now on the Seahawks practice squad. Can play inside and out and might be the eventual replacement for Taylor and maybe Boyd.

Well, to state the obvious, this sucks. Chase's arrival has truly been the catalyst to a new era for us fans. He's incredible. His connection with Burrow is obviously special. That said, I can only hope Zac and Callahan are burning the midnight oil and scheming to work around this. In my heart, I believe it can be done. If Chase is out 4 weeks and one is a bye, those are all winnable games. Hurst is sure handed and moves the sticks. Boyd is dangerous in the slot or outside. Higgins is an excellent deep threat. Mixon has come on as of late, and can catch the ball. Our defense, though often frustrating at the start of games, seemingly always evolves through the course of games til they're literally shutting everyone down in the second half. That's a lot to work with. I'll be very interested to see how they approach this, not to mention who's rising up or being brought in to be the 3rd wideout. 

Archived