This is Halloween, This is Halloween - Bengals vs Cleveland Football Team

7 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Mixon can't break a tackle to save his life, he's completely overrated. He dances too much and doesn't get up the field. 

They tried running the ball from the I and in the single back, that didn't work either. This running game and oline is broken, Pollack needs to fix it in a hurry or get packing...too much "talent" and money invested in those positions for them to be so awful. 

The Bengals need to cut Mixon this offseason as he doesn't fit the offense. He can't pass block, get up the field to get positive yardage, break a tackle, find a hole, etc...he sucks...the numbers don't lie. He's a below average RB at this point in his career, they can draft a RB and use that money to re-sign Higgins, Chase, and Burrow. 

Joe Mixon has never been an after the contact back, I'm not sure why you want him to be now. 

Henry and Chubb are really the only two in the league that can get hit like that and still keep going.

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

No RB in the draft will make a shit's worth of difference behind this OL.  Amazing that anyone could watch Mixon get hit in the backfield over & over and the takeaway is "he sucks".  He may even be washed up but in this offense who can tell? Every other team knows when we're running the ball because it's the only time JB goes under center.  They all know a run is coming but there's Mixon again running off tackle on first down yet again behind either of our shitty tackles.  It's absurd that an NFL offense would ever be that predictable.  

Co-sign

8 hours ago, T-Dub said:

That's a big task in a single offseason.  We've not been able to find a RT let alone an LT.

At least there's something of an out in the Collins contract but it's not great.

POTENTIAL OUT: 2023, 1 YR, $8,000,000; $3,333,334 DEAD CAP

If you can get a legit LT you could cut Collins and move Williams to RT?

I’m with the replace Mixon crowd.  Even when he has room to run he makes no one miss, breaks no tackles, and has no burst.  Mixon isn’t much of a pass blocker either. He’s not a speed back. He’s not a power back.  He’s just meh….   He hhas had his run.  Time for a back that is good at something. Power, speed, pass protection….something. 

5 hours ago, T-Dub said:

No RB in the draft will make a shit's worth of difference behind this OL.  Amazing that anyone could watch Mixon get hit in the backfield over & over and the takeaway is "he sucks".  He may even be washed up but in this offense who can tell? Every other team knows when we're running the ball because it's the only time JB goes under center.  They all know a run is coming but there's Mixon again running off tackle on first down yet again behind either of our shitty tackles.  It's absurd that an NFL offense would ever be that predictable.  

Actually, this is not true as the stats say otherwise. The problem isn't Mixon that is getting hit in the backfield every time he gets the ball, its that he has only broken 5 tackles all season. He's getting the majority of his yards before contact, as over 75% of his total rushing yards before contact.

If that was the case then how is Perine averaging a very respectable 4.3 ypc, a full yard better than Mixon?

The numbers and the eye test tell me that Perine should be starting as he's a better runner and pass blocker than Mixon. 

Mixon isn't running with any explosion, vision, or anger...he's dancing around and going down on first contact. He hasn't improved as a pass blocker in his 5th season and hes a liability because he can't pass block so it makes the offense one dimensional. If he gave a damn about pass blocking maybe they could run some play action or disguise the play calling a bit but he doesn't...you can tell from the effort he gives and his lack of development in that area. 

The opportunities are there, he's just not taking advantage of them. Time to let someone else get a crack at it.

9 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

Anyone else notice that in the Joe Burrow era we've typically at least been "in it" in nearly every game, but against the Browns we seemed to get trounced every time?

It's eerie. The Browns broadcasters last night said in the last 3 games against the Browns, Burrow has thrown an INT on the opening drive. It's like that happens and then things spiral out of control from there and I can't figure out why. 

It was a bad game all around, defensively, offensively, special teams, and injury wise. And next week we face a QB making his first start and we all know how that goes. 

Hopefully they can get it straightened it out during the bye week. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Joe Mixon has never been an after the contact back, I'm not sure why you want him to be now. 

Henry and Chubb are really the only two in the league that can get hit like that and still keep going.

Dameon Pierce, Josh Jacobs, and R. Stevenson all have double digit broken tackles in addition to Chubb and Henry..so there are plenty of RB's who can break tackles, as that's literally in the job description. There are backs with half the amount of attempts as Mixon but more broken tackles...how Sway?

He can't break tackles, can't pass block, can't create when the hole isn't open...what can he do? He can run straight through a clean hole...what NFL back can't do that?

Mixon is a below average RB so far this year while being top 5 in the NFL in attempts. He's not playing well and if this trend continues he should be replaced as the Bengals can't afford to allocate a huge chunk of there cap space to player that doesn't fit the scheme and is not producing. 

8 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I’m with the replace Mixon crowd.  Even when he has room to run he makes no one miss, breaks no tackles, and has no burst.  Mixon isn’t much of a pass blocker either. He’s not a speed back. He’s not a power back.  He’s just meh….   He hhas had his run.  Time for a back that is good at something. Power, speed, pass protection….something. 

He's due over 20 million in the last 2 years of his contract and has a cap hit of over 25 million during that same period. The Bengals can save over 13 million in real dollars and 18 million in cap space by cutting him this offseason.

The evidence is out there that you can pick up a reasonable replacement that actually pass block in free agency or the draft for a fraction of the cost. Dameon Pierce is a 4th round pick in the 2022 that is outperforming Mixon in every category on a worse team(Texans) talent and record wise.

If Mixon is going to take up  over 5% of the cap space he has to produce at an elite level. If you do the math, with 53 players on a roster the average cap space per player should be about 2%(1.88%). If you are going to spend 5%(5.38%) of the cap space on one player he better be 2.5 times better than average. Mixon is third in highest cap space behind Hendrickson and Bates. Hendrickson is worth every penny and Bates is on a one year deal.

With foundational pieces like Burrow, Chase, and Higgins becoming extension eligible within the next few years it would make sense to reallocate those resources to those players instead of a RB that is underperforming and doesn’t fit your offensive scheme.

57 minutes ago, saphead said:

To kind of keep things in perspective this morning, I just saw that Mike Zimmers son Adam passed away yesterday? He was 38.  Crazy 

WTF?!?!?!  Isn't/wasn't he one of our current coaches?  Not finding any details...WOW!!!!  So sad, especially with the history of his Mom dying unexpectedly.  Thoughts/prayers.

1 hour ago, esjbh2 said:

WTF?!?!?!  Isn't/wasn't he one of our current coaches?  Not finding any details...WOW!!!!  So sad, especially with the history of his Mom dying unexpectedly.  Thoughts/prayers.

Not sure if he is still on the staff but he did help out in the offseason.

5 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I would say his cap space would be better utilized on the OL than at RB.  As long as JB, Chase and hopefully Higgins play together we just need a few rotating backs that can get some runs, can block and pass catch. We dont need a 'bell cow' RB or a high priced one. Nothing against Mixon, it just make more sense to me to allocate cap space to the OL. 

4 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Actually, this is not true as the stats say otherwise. The problem isn't Mixon that is getting hit in the backfield every time he gets the ball, its that he has only broken 5 tackles all season. He's getting the majority of his yards before contact, as over 75% of his total rushing yards before contact.

If that was the case then how is Perine averaging a very respectable 4.3 ypc, a full yard better than Mixon?

The numbers and the eye test tell me that Perine should be starting as he's a better runner and pass blocker than Mixon. 

Mixon isn't running with any explosion, vision, or anger...he's dancing around and going down on first contact. He hasn't improved as a pass blocker in his 5th season and hes a liability because he can't pass block so it makes the offense one dimensional. If he gave a damn about pass blocking maybe they could run some play action or disguise the play calling a bit but he doesn't...you can tell from the effort he gives and his lack of development in that area. 

The opportunities are there, he's just not taking advantage of them. Time to let someone else get a crack at it.

Respectfully I think  you're missing the forest for the trees.  I really don't care if they replace Mixon.  I agree he's probably not worth the money at this point and Perine (despite a ridiculously small sample size) could replace him.  Better yet, someone like Gio in the draft.

What I'm saying is that it won't matter as long as the OL is dogshit.  Mixon is not the issue.  He had all of 8 carries last night, IDK why we're even talking about him.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Respectfully I think  you're missing the forest for the trees.  I really don't care if they replace Mixon.  I agree he's probably not worth the money at this point and Perine (despite a ridiculously small sample size) could replace him.  Better yet, someone like Gio in the draft.

What I'm saying is that it won't matter as long as the OL is dogshit.  Mixon is not the issue.  He had all of 8 carries last night, IDK why we're even talking about him.

At $20+ million he is an issue. 

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I would say his cap space would be better utilized on the OL than at RB.  As long as JB, Chase and hopefully Higgins play together we just need a few rotating backs that can get some runs, can block and pass catch. We dont need a 'bell cow' RB or a high priced one. Nothing against Mixon, it just make more sense to me to allocate cap space to the OL. 

I wouldn’t say they are underspending on the OL.  Their talent evaluation there is majorly suspect. 

Cap space better spent extending good players. 

7 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Are you suggesting we could've used that 20 mil to buy off the refs last night?  Because otherwise Mixon is not even remotely close to the reason why we're 4-4.

I am not talking about last night.  I am talking in general.  While the line isn’t good, nor is Taylor’s playcalling, Mixon is showing nothing.  Paying him $20M next year would be foolish.  You could sign a cheaper FA or draft a 2nd or 3rd round RB and get similar production. 

Running backs don’t last forever and Mixon looks past his expiration date. 

7 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

McCaffrey cant break tackles?

Lots more Id think..

Archived