How long is it going to take to get a good Oline in front of Joe?

On 11/4/2022 at 10:49 AM, T-Dub said:

Now I'm craving an Irish Coffee..  Used to have a couple bartender friends at this cafe in Clifton that would serve me iced ones so strong I could see through them.  Think they felt sorry for me after a doomed fling with one of the baristas. 

I regret nothing.

There was a bar at Pier 37 in San Francisco in '84 that served great Irish Coffees, a perfect drink for the chill that comes in at night in San Francisco.  My girlfriend enjoyed them too much one night (before bars put limits on serving), with each of us having double-digit Irish Coffees.  Everything was fine until we stood up.  We sat back down and called a cab to take us to the BART station.

1 hour ago, Kingspoint said:

There was a bar at Pier 37 in San Francisco in '84 that served great Irish Coffees, a perfect drink for the chill that comes in at night in San Francisco.  My girlfriend enjoyed them too much one night (before bars put limits on serving), with each of us having double-digit Irish Coffees.  Everything was fine until we stood up.  We sat back down and called a cab to take us to the BART station.

Not sure which one was 37, but the Buena Vista is still right at the end of the Hyde St. trolley and serves outstanding Irish coffees. 

What's wild is Williams was not even close to this bad last season, he and Spain were the anchors and now he is the 2nd worst linemen after Collins. 

I think we can address RT in the draft, the worrisome part is getting a Left Tackle because we won't be drafting high enough to get a good one, and the only guy in FA that I'd want is Orlando Brown Jr, who is going to be expensive as hell, meaning we might able to get Burrow and Chase resigned but little else 

4 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

What's wild is Williams was not even close to this bad last season, he and Spain were the anchors and now he is the 2nd worst linemen after Collins. 

I think we can address RT in the draft, the worrisome part is getting a Left Tackle because we won't be drafting high enough to get a good one, and the only guy in FA that I'd want is Orlando Brown Jr, who is going to be expensive as hell, meaning we might able to get Burrow and Chase resigned but little else 

Williams is the worst pass blocking tackle and every team tells you that every weekend by lining their best guy across from him the majority of the time.

35 minutes ago, membengal said:

That's the thing...the panthers do NOT have a very bad defense. Quite the opposite coming into that game. 

Rephrase: a very bad team. They have been KO'd for the year, and when that happens, it just snowballs. They weren't going to get that one good game for pride yesterday. 

The main point was that the Bengals are not going to be seeing bad teams who are down for the count. And that is not to denigrate the Bengals effort yesterday; it is that fans hopefully do not look at this as the norm against the upper levels of teams going forward.   

20 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Williams is the worst pass blocking tackle and every team tells you that every weekend by lining their best guy across from him the majority of the time.

I mean he has the most sacks given up on him this year, would be pretty silly to argue otherwise THIS YEAR. 

Last year he was not this bad. (Makes me wonder if he is playing injured?)

Which is what is said

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

40 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I mean he has the most sacks given up on him this year, would be pretty silly to argue otherwise THIS YEAR. 

Last year he was not this bad. (Makes me wonder if he is playing injured?)

Which is what is said

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe.  (playing injured) It also just may be mental.  Professional athletes often struggle to bounce back from bad performances.  Things can snowball.  That could be it as well.  Hard to tell, but the bottom line is he isn't getting it done.  Williams has never been more than average.  If the Bengals can replace him next season they should.

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

Maybe.  (playing injured) It also just may be mental.  Professional athletes often struggle to bounce back from bad performances.  Things can snowball.  That could be it as well.  Hard to tell, but the bottom line is he isn't getting it done.  Williams has never been more than average.  If the Bengals can replace him next season they should.

Could be some of that too, could be having to take up things because Volson is still learning, who knows, neither of us have a trained eye, we just zee the results of it.

I'm all for an upgrade, especially if we can get Brown. But the Bengals gave Williams his 5th year option and we both know they don't like spending money on players and coaches that are not on the team.

Things have changed over the years, if Brown is available and we can get him maybe that changes too.

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Rephrase: a very bad team. They have been KO'd for the year, and when that happens, it just snowballs. They weren't going to get that one good game for pride yesterday. 

I know they got rid of Christian McCaffrey and and another player whose name escapes me at this time, but the NFC South is so bad that they are only 2 games out of first place right now. 

But I know that the 2nd half of our schedule is much tougher, too. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Could be some of that too, could be having to take up things because Volson is still learning, who knows, neither of us have a trained eye, we just zee the results of it.

I'm all for an upgrade, especially if we can get Brown. But the Bengals gave Williams his 5th year option and we both know they don't like spending money on players and coaches that are not on the team.

Things have changed over the years, if Brown is available and we can get him maybe that changes too.

They arent getting Orlando Brown.

Maybe he stays where he's at or another team signs him but I dont see him getting a fat contract here..

Maybe another average tackle or a draft pick but  big money is going to our stars..

Just now, claptonrocks said:

They arent getting Orlando Brown.

Maybe he stays where he's at or another team signs him but I

dont dee him getting a fat contract here..

Maybe another average tackle or a draft pick but  big money is going ti our stars..

Brown turned down a long term deal with the Chiefs, teams don't tag someone twice very often. 

I don't see us spending the money on Williams for his 5th year then signing Brown too, either but Brown isn't a lock to stay in KC.

12 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Brown turned down a long term deal with the Chiefs, teams don't tag someone twice very often. 

I don't see us spending the money on Williams for his 5th year then signing Brown too, either but Brown isn't a lock to stay in KC.

He'll be a hot commodity.

All teams want to improve their foundation as so many have holes like us..

11 hours ago, Kingspoint said:

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco"  ~ Mark Twain

10 hours ago, Shebengal said:

I know they got rid of Christian McCaffrey and and another player whose name escapes me at this time, but the NFC South is so bad that they are only 2 games out of first place right now. 

But I know that the 2nd half of our schedule is much tougher, too. 

True but do you really want to win the tallest midget contest?  You already started the tear down and you simply do not have anything close to a franchise QB. 

Better to figure out who is worth keeping around and begin to think about the coaching staff. 

6 minutes ago, SF2 said:

True but do you really want to win the tallest midget contest?  You already started the tear down and you simply do not have anything close to a franchise QB. 

Better to figure out who is worth keeping around and begin to think about the coaching staff. 

Atl, Indy, Carolina,  Green Bay, Inbreds

and others need to tear it down snd start over again..

Im seeing alot of talented QBs struggling due to holes in the oline.

JBs consistency despite a shit oline is remarkable.

16 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

With Volson's ratings being revealed today, we now know that it's Jonah holding Volson back, not Volson holding Jonah back.  Volson should be moved to LT, Collins to LG and Williams to RT.  This way, Williams has a chance of becoming a better pass-blocker, and at least Joe can see what's coming instead of being blind-sided.  Volson's pass-blocking efficiency is at 93.7%, best of all Rookie Linemen (and probably top-10 of all blockers).  If I remember, Collins spent his first two seasons at Dallas playing LG.

If we draft Oregon Middle Linebacker Noah Sewell at the end of the 2nd Round next Spring, maybe his brother Penei will want to have his next contract here in Cincinnati.  It's not like it's that far from Detroit that it's a major move.  "Block for Jared Goff?"  "Block for Joe Burrow?"  Sounds like an easy choice to me.  Sewell is shaping up to be a Top-5 Tackle for every year of his next contract.  It's also not like we couldn't use a MLB at the end of the 2nd Round.  To have two great LB's who don't have to come off the field would make us more flexible Defensively.  

Having Sewell's brother here along with Joe Burrow are two great selling points.  We can "tamper" with Penei without being guilty of it.

9 hours ago, Kingspoint said:

If we draft Oregon Middle Linebacker Noah Sewell at the end of the 2nd Round next Spring, maybe his brother Penei will want to have his next contract here in Cincinnati.  It's not like it's that far from Detroit that it's a major move.  "Block for Jared Goff?"  "Block for Joe Burrow?"  Sounds like an easy choice to me.  Sewell is shaping up to be a Top-5 Tackle for every year of his next contract.  It's also not like we couldn't use a MLB at the end of the 2nd Round.  To have two great LB's who don't have to come off the field would make us more flexible Defensively.  

Having Sewell's brother here along with Joe Burrow are two great selling points.  We can "tamper" with Penei without being guilty of it.

Nice idea..

Aint gonna happen..

Archived