Keeping Our Enemies Closer 2022: second half

46 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Well I guess were getting that Josh Allen vs Joe Burrow game anyway.

Not sure I like that just because of all the extra stuff surrounding it, it's gonna be a heavy week.

Yeah...Buff is a tough environment to play in regularly...the team is gonna have all sorts of extra juice especially with Damar possibly attending the game in person. There is also the conspiracy theorist in me that says the NFL just wants Allen to get to Mahomes

7 minutes ago, Griever said:

Yeah...Buff is a tough environment to play in regularly...the team is gonna have all sorts of extra juice especially with Damar possibly attending the game in person. There is also the conspiracy theorist in me that says the NFL just wants Allen to get to Mahomes

Yeah I was thinking he might attend the game in person as well, if he does it's going to make it pretty tough.

Just now, High School Harry said:

Or, God forbid, Cleveland?

About the same distance from each city.

Apparently Vegas is trying to get the AFCC if it is on a natural field.

I feel like playing in a division rival's stadium isn't really all that natural. 

2 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Apparently Vegas is trying to get the AFCC if it is on a natural field.

I feel like playing in a division rival's stadium isn't really all that natural. 

True.  Just thinking distance wise it would pretzel logical.

Chances are similar weather, too, but.... Viva Las Vegas

if it comes to that.

7 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Wasn't Leftwich seen as a rising talent type? Perhaps it just looked that way when Bruce Arians was the HC. 

He did interview for the Jags HC position, but I'm guessing that may have been a Rooney Rule interview.

Article in the Athletic:

1. Is Lamar Jackson finished in Baltimore? The situation feels increasingly fraught.

It’s been a strange season for quarterbacks, with Marcus Mariota and Derek Carr both leaving their teams after getting benched. The mystery surrounding Jackson remains unresolved, seemingly by design.

The Ravens easily could have shot down the idea that Jackson’s unsettled contract status might be influencing his availability. Isn’t that what Andy Reid would do if Patrick Mahomes’ motives were suddenly questioned? Wouldn’t any coach do that for a quarterback he wanted to protect?

“That is absolutely how things are done, except for if your last name is Harbaugh, right?” an exec from another team said on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the topic. “That is what him and his brother do, and there is one more guy who handles business like that — he wears cutoff-arm sweatshirts with hoodies, and his name is Bill Belichick.”

A decade ago, Harbaugh reportedly clashed with legendary safety Ed Reed over practices that Reed and some players found too intense. Any gap between Harbaugh’s expectations for Jackson and Jackson’s expectations could similarly fall along generational lines.

“Harbaugh is a power coach,” this exec said. “It’s like it is 1983 and you’re going to get the kid to come back by saying he is an important part of the team and it’s not a serious injury, but that doesn’t work in today’s NFL. He tries to make it coy and tricky, but he wants to exercise power over players, just like the college coaches he comes from and admires.”

The Ravens moved on from Reed after that 2012 season.

Jackson is much more important to the Ravens now than Reed was then, but injuries have sidelined him late in the past two seasons, raising questions about how much money Baltimore should guarantee for the long term.

Jackson is averaging 10.3 rushes and scrambles per start through 61 career starts, by far the most for any quarterback through 61 starts since at least 2000, according to TruMedia. Cam Newton is next at 6.8 per start to the same point in his career, followed by Michael Vick (6.7), Josh Allen (6.0) and Russell Wilson (5.3). Newton produced an MVP season while helping Carolina to the Super Bowl in his age-26 season, but he never reached the Pro Bowl again and began to decline. Jackson turned 26 last week.

“Has he improved as a passer?” an evaluator asked. “Sure, but he is a running quarterback, and how is it different than the running back position? It is different in terms of number of hits, but the hits can be worse for a quarterback to take. I just would not commit to him more than a year or two.”

Jackson reportedly wanted a fully guaranteed deal like the one Deshaun Watson leveraged from Cleveland when Watson could have signed with other teams. Jackson does not possess that kind of leverage because Baltimore owns his rights through the franchise tag. But he could make the situation in Baltimore untenable if he wished, the way Jalen Ramsey and others have done when seeking out.

Is it really coming to that for Jackson and the Ravens?

“It is hard to get rid of a player who has helped you achieve so much,” another exec said. “You can only do that if you have a replacement ready on the roster or if the locker room is like, ‘We are good without this guy.’ They don’t have the replacement lined up, so it’s going to have to be a thing where the locker room says, ‘Eh, it is kind of messed up, what he is doing.’ ”

After the Cincinnati game, Ravens cornerback Marlon Humphrey offered support for Jackson, suggesting the quarterback was limping around the facility at perhaps 50-60 percent of full strength, but Harbaugh has conspicuously allowed perceptions to linger when he could have reset the narrative long ago.

“Yeah, he is letting Lamar twist in the wind,” this exec said.

“Tyler Huntley, coming in and playing the way he played, coming off the shoulder and the wrist injuries and fighting his way back onto the field and just giving everything he had,” Harbaugh said after the game.

Sean Payton predicted on the Fox pregame show Sunday that Jackson had played his final game with the Ravens. Vick, seated near Payton in the Fox studio, suggested Jackson should have “put a brace on” his knee and gutted it out. Earlier in the week, Ravens receiver Sammy Watkins suggested Jackson might be playing if he had entered into a long-term contract.

“I am not a Lamar apologist, but I don’t think any of us knows what he is going through medically,” the evaluator cautioned. “Everybody is different, and a PCL is a weird ligament, and if there is truly inflammation in there, that is hard to play through.”

An agent thought the coming offseason would be a terrible one for teams needing quarterbacks. That could increase the demand for Carr, who is on the trading block. Tom Brady could be available as a short-term fix. Jimmy Garoppolo’s durability will be a factor teams must weigh. Teams drafting outside the top picks can’t count on that avenue.

“There will definitely be a market for Lamar if the Ravens want to trade him,” an exec with ties to the Ravens said. “I was thinking maybe Houston. They have a ton of draft capital. Atlanta comes to mind. Lamar going back home to Miami would be amazing if they could find a way.”

It’s all speculation at this point, but it feels less far-fetched all the time.

“I see a divorce unless their doctors are privately telling them Lamar really can’t play because of the injury, which seems doubtful with the way Harbaugh has handled it,” a longtime exec from another team said. “I could see a trade next spring if they can get a high enough pick to get a new QB. Lamar appears to have a ceiling that Jalen Hurts poked through this year. Harbaugh is making it seem like they are tired of the situation. They will never give him the Watson-type contract he reportedly covets.”

5 hours ago, Jungletiger said:

16) Twitter | Memes, Imagenes para hacer memes, Memes para comentarios

I think there's a lot of details that have to be worked out before this deal becomes final. In fact, Snyder may have leaked it so he can pull the rug out from under Bezos later as a punishment for the coverage he's been getting in the WaPost

7 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

He is still on their board as executive chair

https://ir.aboutamazon.com/officers-and-directors/default.aspx

Fair point, but idk that being on the board of Amazon would give him any advantage that having enough money to buy the whole league wouldn't give him anyway haha

Archived