We Need to Talk About Joe Mix

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2022/11/02/bengals-face-uncomfortable-problems-joe-mixon-jonah-williams/

Plagiarized Joe Goodberry tweet 👇

Mixon ranks 65th out of 67 backs with a grade of 24.3 He leads the league with 3 sacks allowed.

Joe Mixon's elusive rating (making defenders miss) is now down to 51st out of 54 backs.

His Yards After Contact average of 2.05 yards now ranks 53rd of 54 backs.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Highest graded RB in pass protection according to PFF? Samaje Perine with an 88.7 grade. He has yet to allow a pressure this season.

:::::::::::::::::::::

Mixon, the star running back on a $48 million deal, was a liability in pass protection nearly every time on the field during Monday’s loss to the Browns.

Through eight games, he’s up to just 432 yards and two scores on a 3.3 average, that average putting him roughly 50th in the NFL alongside the likes of Najee Harris.

We can point to offensive line struggles as part of the problem, undoubtedly. But it goes much farther than that when he can’t create — whether the holes are there or not.

A star running back shouldn’t need to come off the field in key situations because he still can’t keep the quarterback clean in his sixth year as a pro. That’s probably going to mean the team turns a close eye to his $12.85 million cap hit in 2023, which could be a tough sell with the fanbase given how much they love him.

To my (untrained) eyes, it seems Mixon is dancing to much and not just hitting the hole. I know sometimes there is nothing there, but others it appears heis trying to scoot outside instead of taking what he can get.

20 hours ago, High School Harry said:

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2022/11/02/bengals-face-uncomfortable-problems-joe-mixon-jonah-williams/

Plagiarized Joe Goodberry tweet 👇

Mixon ranks 65th out of 67 backs with a grade of 24.3 He leads the league with 3 sacks allowed.

Joe Mixon's elusive rating (making defenders miss) is now down to 51st out of 54 backs.

His Yards After Contact average of 2.05 yards now ranks 53rd of 54 backs.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Highest graded RB in pass protection according to PFF? Samaje Perine with an 88.7 grade. He has yet to allow a pressure this season.

:::::::::::::::::::::

Mixon, the star running back on a $48 million deal, was a liability in pass protection nearly every time on the field during Monday’s loss to the Browns.

Through eight games, he’s up to just 432 yards and two scores on a 3.3 average, that average putting him roughly 50th in the NFL alongside the likes of Najee Harris.

We can point to offensive line struggles as part of the problem, undoubtedly. But it goes much farther than that when he can’t create — whether the holes are there or not.

A star running back shouldn’t need to come off the field in key situations because he still can’t keep the quarterback clean in his sixth year as a pro. That’s probably going to mean the team turns a close eye to his $12.85 million cap hit in 2023, which could be a tough sell with the fanbase given how much they love him.

The fan base loves Burrow more and Mixon is going to get him killed with his pathetic pass blocking efforts. Cut him and use the monet to extend Higgins. Burrow, and Chase.

Perine should be starting at this point, he's the better back who actually cares about protecting Burrow. 

16 minutes ago, Cat said:

I thought they should have tried to trade him before the deadline - maybe they did. I don't know how much is on the line and how much is on him, but he's def hurting more than helping.

I don't think anyone would have had him.

I am kind of surprised Carman is still here but I would say no one wanted him sitting on their inactive list, either.

34 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

It's obvious Mixon is a huge problem, his production isn't matching his salary and causing the offense to be one dimensional which leads to defenses with a competent pass rush shutting the offense down.

30 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

The fan base loves Burrow more and Mixon is going to get him killed with his pathetic pass blocking efforts. Cut him and use the monet to extend Higgins. Burrow, and Chase.

Perine should be starting at this point, he's the better back who actually cares about protecting Burrow. 

Agree X2.

He is now worth more to the team gone than here.  Put the $$ toward Tee and Hurst.

I think the naming rights bucks are going to Joe and Ja'Marr.

So 100% agree about starting and playing Perine.  His production as a running back is comparable.  At least he will plow ahead rather than doing panic at the disco behind the (woeful) line.  And he can block which Mixon does not seem to interested in doing.

One of the things that frustrates me to no end about the Bengals is their reluctance to try new things to fix what is wrong

and continue to do the same stuff that isn't working.  Isn't that the definition of insanity?  Doing the same thing over and

over and expecting different results?  At this point I do agree that Perine > Mixon if for no other reason (and there are more and

better) than he is hungrier and not as much film on him.

OT of Mix but I wonder why different things aren't being done to compensate for out OT's, another lineman as a blocking TE

of some sort, Adeniji or even Carman.  Or put them in the backfield with Joe.

But, yeah, what do I know? 

I was called crazy by a few when I said Perine was better a few weeks ago, but he just is. 

I love Mixon the person. Love what he has done for the Bengals. Love his team spirit and passion for the city. But he's just not good anymore. Now can be be made better somehow? Maybe, but I doubt it.

He's also not the right kind of RB for this offensive system. We need a Clyde Edwards-Helaire type. 

2 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

He's also not the right kind of RB for this offensive system. We need a Clyde Edwards-Helaire type. 

This.  As many times as Taylor's offense uses no TE for blocking the RB has to be able to pass protect.  It's also an offense that needs a back with speed and vision to find the hole.  It's not always going to be where it is supposed to be.  Mixon doesn't fit that mold.  I'm not so sure Perine is better.  Other than pass protection he doesn't fit the Taylor mold any better.  He hasn't played a ton of snaps, so no clue how he would hold up.  It's worth giving the guy a few series to keep Mixon higher energy.

So what's up with Trayveon Williams and Holyfield? They both seem to be built like fireplugs, which I think is the type that would fit Zach's "system" right now, not dancers like Mixon, and Williams has come through when put in the position? Don't get me wrong, I love Mixon, but unfortunately I think he's on the downhill side of his run. I was "talking" to him at the Falcons game (seats are second row of south EZ) and they were down at our end heading North, and I told him the music was for the cheerleaders and to quit dancing. Me probably seeing/fantasizing things, thought I saw him kind of shake his head in acknowledgment and he had a couple nice runs due North right after that  🤷‍♂️

In addition to all of this......while listening to Cincy 360 today, they threw out the stat the the much maligned Bengals offensive line ranked 3rd in the number of wins while run blocking -according to ProFootballFocus.

3RD! - in the entire league!

now i know there are skeptics about the PFF metrics (I wonder about some of them as well) - but it certainly seems to back up what all of our eyes are seeing.

I love Joe too - love his enthusiasm  - but if he ain't gettin it done (and he's not) then it's time for a change.

This team's going nowhere if we can't start running the football.

Bengals should move on from Mixon and replace him with a mid round pick with some speed. Jonah's 5th year option for 2023 is now guaranteed but if they can trade him for anything, they should do so. Then they can shop in free agency for a better LT or move up in the draft (or maybe not even have to) to get one of the tackle prospects. 

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Bengals should move on from Mixon and replace him with a mid round pick with some speed. Jonah's 5th year option for 2023 is now guaranteed but if they can trade him for anything, they should do so. Then they can shop in free agency for a better LT or move up in the draft (or maybe not even have to) to get one of the tackle prospects. 

With our line, I want speed and ability to break tackles.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2022/11/04/bengals-coaches-arent-happy-joe-mixon-pass-blocking/

Bengals coaches aren't happy with Joe Mixon's pass blocking

The Cincinnati Bengals aren’t shying away from some obvious weak points on the team right now.

One of those pertains to star running back Joe Mixon, who has been a massive weak point in some facets of his game during the team’s 4-4 start.

As offensive coordinator Brian Callahan says, everyone in the building knows Mixon continues to have serious problems as a pass-blocker.

“We talk about it all the time,” Callahan said, according to Paul Dehner Jr.of The Athletic. “That part of his game has not been up to where we would expect it to be at this point. He’s had moments where he’s been a lot better, and he’s had moments where he needs to be better for us to feel good about him pass protecting all the time in that manner. I’m not saying anything he doesn’t know. It’s not something we haven’t talked about. He sees it. Everybody sees it.”

We already went in-depth on the very concerning struggles of Mixon and left tackle Jonah Williams. But the long and short of it is that Mixon is by far one of the league’s worst running backs at pass-blocking and he’s not doing much better at forcing missed tackles or performance after first contact.

Fans don’t need advanced numbers to help them see the drive-ruining gaffes by Mixon in this department, either and they know all too well it is something that has limited his playing time in past seasons.

At this point, especially with coaches talking about it publicly, it doesn’t seem unreasonable to bring up chatter about Samaje Perine taking some of Mixon’s snaps. One would imagine there’s a breaking point to this, so we’ll see how patient coaches remain if the issue doesn’t start to see a fix.

1 hour ago, Shebengal said:

I have a bad feeling that this issue won't be addressed until the bye week, especially playing Carolina. They may think that they can skate by this week. 

Hope they don't overlook Carolina Sunday.

I've not even heard who is filling Chito's roster spot.

Would like to see someone brought in rather than the weekly up and down practice squad guy although I do like Irwin.

Different schemes and reinforcements for the O line

and more Perine.

15 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Hope they don't overlook Carolina Sunday.

I've not even heard who is filling Chito's roster spot.

Would like to see someone brought in rather than the weekly up and down practice squad guy although I do like Irwin.

Different schemes and reinforcements for the O line

and more Perine.

Like to see Treyveon Williams get 10 carries in a game..

Feed him and let him do his thing..

He's also a very good blocker and receiver outta the backfield.

We have Volson Hill Britt starting against the Panthers..

Stick Williams in there as well..

Why not?

Archived