We Need to Talk About Joe Mix

8 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

5.5 mill in dead cap space, I'd be against it.

Joe Mixon Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

$10M a year in cash.  It's all about his performance.  He's getting paid like a top 10 back, but hasn't been performing as one.  You can blame the line, which is a factor, but if you watch him run and compare him to other top backs he fails the eye test easily.  Backs like Chubb, Kamara, McCaffrey, Cook, etc. just move so much better than Mixon.  The hit the holes precisely, they can hesitate and accelerate, they can make guys miss.  All things that Mixon just hasn't been very good at recently.  Hopefully he plays with the passion and energy we saw against Carolina.  If he does he'll be back.  If he regresses the Bengals need to think long and hard about him.  His poor pass protection abilities don't match up well with Taylor's spread offense either.  All food for thought.

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

$10M a year in cash.  It's all about his performance.  He's getting paid like a top 10 back, but hasn't been performing as one.  You can blame the line, which is a factor, but if you watch him run and compare him to other top backs he fails the eye test easily.  Backs like Chubb, Kamara, McCaffrey, Cook, etc. just move so much better than Mixon.  The hit the holes precisely, they can hesitate and accelerate, they can make guys miss.  All things that Mixon just hasn't been very good at recently.  Hopefully he plays with the passion and energy we saw against Carolina.  If he does he'll be back.  If he regresses the Bengals need to think long and hard about him.  His poor pass protection abilities don't match up well with Taylor's spread offense either.  All food for thought.

Go watch the video I posted, There is alot more going on than Joe Mixon. 

He isnt getting cut

Honestly some of you guys are starting to sound like Go about Volson

7 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I saw that video.  I don’t have a half hour to listen to stuff like that.  Good stuff I’m sure, but not in my wheelhouse. 

Fair enough I'll TLDR some of what I remember.

- Early in the year they were running a different scheme in both run and pass that was not really conducive to the type of line they had but the issue they had was that because they had a bunch of new guys and Joey B hurt and Collins hurt as well they couldn't work out what worked for them with the new line and how both Joes work with it and play to Mixon's strengths as a RB with the right scheme that worked for them due to those guys that were missing and being new during camp, some of it yes, alot of it had to be adjusted during the season. 

His meeting with the players after the Browns game was not calling anyone out specifically, but a call on all the players to get better, that this is the time of year where every game is a "playoff game" and that they have to be at their best now. He said his message was a little more "fiery" (my word) but not directed at any one player and that he thought the team got that message.

Sounds like alot of what was going on in the season is them having to adjust the scheme to what we do well knowing what Joey B likes, what fits best for Mixon in that type of scheme, and what the new Oline can do.

None of this is as simple as "we need to talk about Mixon"

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Fair enough I'll TLDR some of what I remember.

- Early in the year they were running a different scheme in both run and pass that was not really conducive to the type of line they had but the issue they had was that because they had a bunch of new guys and Joey B hurt and Collins hurt as well they couldn't work out what worked for them with the new line and how both Joes work with it and play to Mixon's strengths as a RB with the right scheme that worked for them due to those guys that were missing and being new during camp, some of it yes, alot of it had to be adjusted during the season. 

His meeting with the players after the Browns game was not calling anyone out specifically, but a call on all the players to get better, that this is the time of year where every game is a "playoff game" and that they have to be at their best now. He said his message was a little more "fiery" (my word) but not directed at any one player and that he thought the team got that message.

Sounds like alot of what was going on in the season is them having to adjust the scheme to what we do well knowing what Joey B likes, what fits best for Mixon in that type of scheme, and what the new Oline can do.

None of this is as simple as "we need to talk about Mixon"

Makes sense.  We'll see how it goes. 

At the same time it doesn't absolve Mixon.  My thoughts are that he is a very highly paid RB and you would expect him to perform better.  From what I've watched some of the issue was on him.  Let's see how the rest of the season goes.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Cutting Mixon frees up a net 7 mil in 2023 and 13 mil in 2024. It's not as if finding a competent RB is especially hard. So Mixon is very much in jeopardy of being cut after this season if the team needs the cap space. 

This is what I am thinking exactly.

Tee, Hurst and Logan Wilson, to throw him into the equation, are more valuable than a running back who has had one good game

so far and cannot block his grandmother if she was pass rushing Joe Burrow.

18 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I will be bumping this thread in the offseason

I'm very aware Mixon will be here next year auditioning for Dancing with the Stars in the backfield

or pounding his chest after a two yard run on first down.  Joe Burrow will be battered and bruised

because Mix won't block for him in the backfield.

Meanwhile Hayden Hurst will be putting up pro bowl numbers elsewhere and Tee will probably be gone, too.

1 minute ago, High School Harry said:

I'm very aware Mixon will be here next year auditioning for Dancing with the Stars in the backfield

or pounding his chest after a two yard run on first down.  Joe Burrow will be battered and bruised

because Mix won't block for him in the backfield.

Meanwhile Hayden Hurst will be putting up pro bowl numbers elsewhere and Tee will probably be gone, too.

lolz, I like Hurst alot but he isn't putting up pro-bowl numbers and if Tee is gone it's because he has the same agent as Bates and wants #1 WR money that we will be saving for Chase

2 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

lolz, I like Hurst alot but he isn't putting up pro-bowl numbers and if Tee is gone it's because he has the same agent as Bates and wants #1 WR money that we will be saving for Chase

I'm not disagreeing with you.  I just think Mix money could be used better elsewhere on the team than on him with his output (except for one game) and performance.

He is going to get Joe B killed.

FWIW As far as tight end I saw an early mock draft (I know, I know) that had us taking the killer tight end from Notre Dame.

Yeah, neva happen but considering our luck drafting O linemen of late...  

At least we didn't take Leatherwood or even pick him up when he was cut.

4 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I'm not disagreeing with you.  I just think Mix money could be used better elsewhere on the team than on him with his output (except for one game) and performance.

He is going to get Joe B killed.

FWIW As far as tight end I saw an early mock draft (I know, I know) that had us taking the killer tight end from Notre Dame.

Yeah, neva happen but considering our luck drafting O linemen of late...  

At least we didn't take Leatherwood or even pick him up when he was cut.

Mixon is fine, the Oline not as much. 

I actually was joking with Go on Facebook that with Apple being a FA and Cheeto only having 1 year left on his contract, that we would take Joey Porter Jr. 

17 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Mixon is fine, the Oline not as much. 

I actually was joking with Go on Facebook that with Apple being a FA and Cheeto only having 1 year left on his contract, that we would take Joey Porter Jr. 

And cut him. 

Actually, he would probably beat up Jonah Williams.

Everyone else does.

The Thread Back from the Dead

Preface:  I do NOT think Joe Mixon faked a concussion.  I think the team/Zac discreetly used that for an excuse to subtly bench him.   And FWIW, others in my circle and around here share the same conspiracy theory.

That said, from this morning's (11/28) Cincinnati Enquirer and SCREAMING hot Kelsey Conway...

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2022/11/28/bengals-starting-running-back-joe-mixon-samaje-perine-after-tennessee-titans-win

Analysis: Making the case for why the Bengals should start Samaje Perine over Joe Mixon

595d6a85-90cd-487e-95b0-eba8f5cd20f4-KelKelsey Conway :wub:Cincinnati Enquirer

NASHVILLE – Cincinnati Bengals head coach Zac Taylor has a decision to make as he enjoys his flight home from Tennessee sitting at 7-4 on the year. It was a monster win for Taylor’s bunch and puts the Bengals in prime position to control their destiny and earn a spot in the playoffs.

Should the Bengals feature Samaje Perine over Joe Mixon as the No. 1 running back against the Kansas City Chiefs next Sunday afternoon?

The answer is yes. Cincinnati is more efficient running the ball when Perine is getting the bulk of the carries. Look no further than the last two games – both of which resulted in wins for the Bengals – to understand the reasoning for this argument.

When asked following the game if there’s a scenario in which Taylor opts to ride Perine as featured back next week over Mixon, Cincinnati’s head coach didn’t rule the possibility out. Make of that what you want. If we’re reading between the lines here, Taylor had the chance to nix the possibility if he felt the thought was out of question. Instead, he left the door open.

“Samaje has always done a great job,” Taylor said. “Any time his number has been called. Mixon has done a great job when his number has been called. We’re looking for efficiency in our run game and we’ve got efficiency in our run whoever is carrying the football. I think that goes to show you the confidence we have in that stable of backs. And we’re going to need everyone to step up at different parts of the season and today Samaje did and Trayveon (Williams) did on his carries so I was pleased to see that from the running backs.”

Mixon didn’t play in the second half against the Stealers in Week 10 due to a concussion. He didn’t practice once leading up to Sunday’s game against the Titans (7-4) and was ruled out to play ahead of the contest.

On 17 carries, Perine rushed for 58 yards. The team rushed for 108 yards, only the fourth time they’ve hit the 100-yards mark on the ground this season. This argument is not based off total rushing yards, per se. It’s about Perine’s productivity on first and second down running the ball, his ability to make plays as a pass-catcher and his pass-blocking skills.

The Bengals have shown week in and out when they fall behind the chains on first and second down they struggle when facing third-and-long situations. They are a better offense, like every NFL team, when they stay on schedule.

Perine gives the Bengals their best chance to do that. Three things are important to consider when evaluating the productivity of a running back: How many of the runs result in positive yards, how many runs/catches convert to first downs and scoring plays.

Six of Perine’s 21 total touches resulted in either a first down or a scoring play and only four resulted in negative plays for the Bengals. He averaged 4.4 yards per touch against the Titans. What’s important to note about his average per touch is that NFL coaches use four yards as the measure for a positive run.

Mixon is averaging 60.5 yards per game, which ranks No. 17 in the NFL, and 3.8 yards per carry. Perine is averaging 44 yards per game over a two-game period as the featured back.

‘I wouldn’t want to tackle him’: How Samaje Perine has earned the respect of his Bengals teammates

Perine, 27, has made the most of his opportunities in the NFL after being drafted in the fourth round out of Oklahoma by the Washington Commanders in 2017. He was a fourth-round draft pick that started eight games in his rookie season.

The Bengals picked up Perine in 2019 and he played in six games for Cincinnati before they waived him and then re-signed him to the practice squad. Perine then enjoyed a quick stint with the Miami Dolphins before he returned to Cincinnati in 2020 and has been with the Bengals since.

One of the most respected players in the locker room for his play on special teams and serving as the main third-down running back for the Bengals in 2021, he’s earned an even bigger role this season.

“He’s stepped up all year,” center Ted Karras said of his teammate. “He’s an excellent blocker if you go back and look at the film. But today and in the last two weeks, he’s been phenomenal. Hitting the hole hard. I wouldn’t want to tackle him.”

Perine’s 17 carries was the most he’s had since his rookie season. When asked how it felt, he said it was “fun” to get in a rhythm and produce for his team.

Joe Burrow offers praise for Samaje Perine

“He just runs so hard,” Burrow said. “I don't know what his stats were, but I think he had to be close to 100, I think. But he just continues to make the best of his opportunities. I am so happy for him to get the chance and continue to make the most out of it.”

As far as if Perine thinks he could succeed as the Bengals’ featured back moving forward, he downplayed the question and acknowledged his role for the team.

And what that will be next week remains one of the most intriguing decisions Taylor will make this season.

“That ain’t got nothing to do with me,” Perine said. “It’s unfortunate (Joe Mixon) got hurt and I hope he comes back soon. I just went out and did what I had to do to help this team win. Obviously, we miss him out there and we can’t wait until he’s back. Until then, I’ll hold the fort down.”

Why Samaje Perine stepping up is the best-case scenario for the Bengals and why it’s a delicate situation

The Bengals are in the middle of the most critical part of their season and need all hands on deck to earn a playoff spot.

So, look at the running back situation this way:

Perine stepping up has helped the Bengals secure two wins – that’s the now part of this argument. What could happen as a result would be an even bigger positive for Cincinnati and that is it motivates Mixon. A healthy, motivated Mixon has proven to be one of the league’s best running backs.

That’s the best-case scenario for Taylor and the Bengals as they enter the month of December with two running backs playing at a high level.

But when making the decision on who will get more touches in the game, there’s a lot more that goes into the decision for Taylor.

Mixon is one of the most beloved players in the Bengals’ locker room and he’s a team captain. He is also coming off his best professional campaign and earned a Pro Bowl nod in 2021. If his workload shrinks, it will be a major change for Mixon. Communication will be the biggest key here between Taylor and Mixon if there’s a change.

There’s certainly a chance the Bengals continue to “start Mixon for the optics but give Perine more carries and feature him as the lead back.

Regardless of what Taylor decides, the Bengals’ running backs room could look very different next season. Both Perine and Mixon are above 25 years and old and the team could and should get a younger back on the roster. The hope for Chris Evans to be something for the Bengals is dwindling. There will be plenty of time to discuss this topic in the offseason, though.

For now, the Bengals are on a three-game winning streak and one of the biggest reasons why is the improved run game. Thanks to players like Perine.

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

Joe Mixon will start on Sunday. Mark it down.

Oh, I agree.

And probably have a good game.

Esp if they use Adenaiji on the Oline which I think is a good thing.

Chances are the concussion and Perine's performance is a wake up call for Joe Mix.

That's a good thing.  And a good thing knowing Samaje Perine lurks for a change of

pace if nothing else.

Oh, I agree.

And probably have a good game.

Esp if they use Adenaiji on the Oline which I think is a good thing.

Chances are the concussion and Perine's performance is a wake up call for Joe Mix.

That's a good thing.  And a good thing knowing Samaje Perine lurks for a change of

pace if nothing else.

I just think we are seeing a Oline that has started to gel in both the passing and running game. 

We still have alot of room to get better in the running game, especially on the Williams/Volson side of the ball, but it has been improving. 

Peaking at the right time sure is nice. Let's keep it up.

51 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I just think we are seeing a Oline that has started to gel in both the passing and running game. 

We still have alot of room to get better in the running game, especially on the Williams/Volson side of the ball, but it has been improving. 

Peaking at the right time sure is nice. Let's keep it up.

Absolutely, could not agree more.

I do not think Mixon will be Perine's Wally Pipp (who, ironically, was benched for a headache).

But I do think Mixon has become a problem in that he is good, but not that good for the money he is paid.

And popular with the fans and a positive impact in the locker room.

Yeah, the O line is gelling.  The addition of the package with Adenaiji is a smart move by whoever came up with it.

Keep's 'em guessing if it will be a run or one of the two headed monster of Ja'Marr or Tee will get loose.

Tyler Boyd is luring and overdue for a monster game and Sneaky Pete Irwin is around, too.

Of course, Tormund Giantsbane at tight end.

So, yep.  Peaking and growing at the right time.

So much was made about last year's playoff game against the Titans and

I thought we handled them rather handily.  One great play that was almost a fluke

and then Taylor-Britt screwing that up at the goal line.  That would have been a different

story if Bates III had been paying attention.

With said O line growth I can't help but think they must really hate Jackson Carman.

Seems like he could be of use somewhere.

Absolutely, could not agree more.

I do not think Mixon will be Perine's Wally Pipp (who, ironically, was benched for a headache).

But I do think Mixon has become a problem in that he is good, but not that good for the money he is paid.

And popular with the fans and a positive impact in the locker room.

Yeah, the O line is gelling.  The addition of the package with Adenaiji is a smart move by whoever came up with it.

Keep's 'em guessing if it will be a run or one of the two headed monster of Ja'Marr or Tee will get loose.

Tyler Boyd is luring and overdue for a monster game and Sneaky Pete Irwin is around, too.

Of course, Tormund Giantsbane at tight end.

So, yep.  Peaking and growing at the right time.

So much was made about last year's playoff game against the Titans and

I thought we handled them rather handily.  One great play that was almost a fluke

and then Taylor-Britt screwing that up at the goal line.  That would have been a different

story if Bates III had been paying attention.

With said O line growth I can't help but think they must really hate Jackson Carman.

Seems like he could be of use somewhere.

I think they have given up on Jackson and are not playing him so he wont get hurt and they can trade him for a draft pick 

Archived