The Two Games Left The Bengals Do Make The Playoffs But Where Thread

4 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Question is how??

This upcoming draft isnt loaded with top tackles..

Any good FA lineman will be overpaid by someone..

Whats the answer?..Overspend?

Trade up?...

I think we need to keep this real.

Williams signed a 5th year option. He is going to be the Left Tackle next year for better or worse.

That doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't address the Right Tackle position, as Collins has played even worse than Williams has imho

And you can get a right tackle at the spot we are likely to be drafting.

After next year is where we are going to be pressed, because I believe it's likely Joe will be getting a new contract at the end of the season and as such money is going to be tighter, so overpaying for a LT isn't likely to happen imho, trading up is something that will be hard because every team in the top 10 almost always is looking to get better on the line.

I'm not sure I have an answer for the LT position.

For me here are my must keeps at positions.

QB - Joe

WR - Chase

LB - Wilson

After that there are guys you want to keep and guys that will have an impact if they are not replaced with good draft picks, but as far as our own guys on both sides of the ball that are still on their 1st contract, I think those 3 should be the top targets. After that you can play around with money and see where you can best spend it on FAs that will make an impact for the team and maybe some guys here get a 3rd contract (thinking Vonn Bell here) but those 3 guys are the top 3 for me anyway of our own that I would prioritize keeping.

5 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I think we need to keep this real.

Williams signed a 5th year option. He is going to be the Left Tackle next year for better or worse.

That doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't address the Right Tackle position, as Collins has played even worse than Williams has imho

And you can get a right tackle at the spot we are likely to be drafting.

After next year is where we are going to be pressed, because I believe it's likely Joe will be getting a new contract at the end of the season and as such money is going to be tighter, so overpaying for a LT isn't likely to happen imho, trading up is something that will be hard because every team in the top 10 almost always is looking to get better on the line.

I'm not sure I have an answer for the LT position.

Not sure?...me either..

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

For me here are my must keeps at positions.

QB - Joe

WR - Chase

LB - Wilson

After that there are guys you want to keep and guys that will have an impact if they are not replaced with good draft picks, but as far as our own guys on both sides of the ball that are still on their 1st contract, I think those 3 should be the top targets. After that you can play around with money and see where you can best spend it on FAs that will make an impact for the team and maybe some guys here get a 3rd contract (thinking Vonn Bell here) but those 3 guys are the top 3 for me anyway of our own that I would prioritize keeping.

Yes 

Team needs those 3..

If Bell finishes strong like to bring him back ..

I think Bell is the catalyst to keep dbacks fired up and playing with tenacity.

Just now, claptonrocks said:

Yes 

Team needs those 3..

If Bell finishes strong like to bring him back ..

I think Bell is the catalyst to keep dbacks fired up and playing with tenacity.

Watched the Cincinnati Bengals Talk Podcast yesterday with Lou, he talked about how much of a leader Bell has been that he was surprised by at least how much of one he was, like he said he knew Bell was a good player when they brought him in and would be a leader, but was surprised by just how much. I'd like to have Bell back over Bates myself.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Every other team in the NFL will try to take advantage of them until they prove they aren't a liability.   They were up the challenge against Carolina & that was the difference maker.  Hilarious to me that people instead think Mixon just woke up and decided to not suck that day.

The Bengals are very hesitant to criticize a player in public.  The only cases I can remember since Taylor took over are Carman, Mixon and now Huber.  The fact that they criticized Mixon that week says a lot.  They challenged him, but then they gave him a lot of opportunity to respond.  Great coaching.  Good on Mixon for responding.  At the same time he put the coaching staff in the position to need to criticize him in public.  Mixon not getting it done was partially on him.  He was not running for power or was he making people miss.  He needed to be better and was.  Good for him and good for Taylor. 

45 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Watched the Cincinnati Bengals Talk Podcast yesterday with Lou, he talked about how much of a leader Bell has been that he was surprised by at least how much of one he was, like he said he knew Bell was a good player when they brought him in and would be a leader, but was surprised by just how much. I'd like to have Bell back over Bates myself.

Glad to have Bell back and a decent price and term.  It all depends upon the contract.  Bates is going for the huge deal.  Good for him.  The Bengals shouldn't pay it. 

I like Wilson as well, but don't sleep on Pratt.  He is also very good if not as flashy as Wilson.  I think they are a good pair. 

5 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I think part of it is the focus on stats and fantasy football - so much "analysis" just doesn't pass the sniff test.  Take Mixon's low YPC -  against Baltimore and NOLA he was averaging over 5.5 a pop, but that gets overlooked since he only got 21 carries combined in those 2 games (and because it doesn't fit the narrative.)  

Put in an extra blocker against a mid-tier DL and suddenly he has a breakout game.  Oh, he doesn't suck now!  C'mon people.

If the oline will give Mixon daylight (.not a gap)  I'm thinking he'll run as hard to it instead of looking for a gap..

And he'lll be better for it. 

4 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Glad to have Bell back and a decent price and term.  It all depends upon the contract.  Bates is going for the huge deal.  Good for him.  The Bengals shouldn't pay it. 

I like Wilson as well, but don't sleep on Pratt.  He is also very good if not as flashy as Wilson.  I think they are a good pair. 

Not that worried about anyone in particular on defense.  Be good to have that vet continuity of leadership somewhere but I trust Anarumo to get it done so long as the talent is there overall.

The remaining schedule is still looking rough.

@Ten (7-3) - 1st place in division

KC (8-2) - 1st place in division

CLE (3-7) - have beaten Bengals 5 straight and 8 of last 9

@TB (5-5) - 1st place in division

@NE (6-4) - currently holding wildcard spot

BUF (7-3) - 1st place (tie) in division

BAL (7-3) - 1st place in division

18 minutes ago, Bleeds Orange said:

The remaining schedule is still looking rough.

@Ten (7-3) - 1st place in division

KC (8-2) - 1st place in division

CLE (3-7) - have beaten Bengals 5 straight and 8 of last 9

@TB (5-5) - 1st place in division

@NE (6-4) - currently holding wildcard spot

BUF (7-3) - 1st place (tie) in division

BAL (7-3) - 1st place in division

Tough for the opponents..

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

They should not drop 1 each to Stealers and CFT. They could drop one to CFT—but that would be because their defense would match up better to Jackson

I figure the Rats drop one to the Steelers because they always play each other hard, but also thought that Watson being back a few games in he will knock of the rust by the time they play each other.

Optimistic? Maybe, but I don't think it's completely out of the question.

7 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

It will make us battle tested going into the playoffs. 

The playoff machine is up, I ran a scenario where we only lose to the Cheifs and Bills, and the Rats drop one to the Stealers and one to the Browns, and we ended up the 3 seed.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Just ran a couple of scenarios--Bengals lose 4 of the final 7 and still make #7 Seed. Only one scenario required "help".  But all required a win versus Rats Week 17.

This is a fun thing to mess with. I'm certain things will get tighter in the next several weeks, and the scenarios will also get tighter. 

Archived