Bye Week Week.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2022/11/07/bengals-ready-punter-change-kevin-huber-drue-chrisman/

Bengals sound ready for punter change from Kevin Huber to Drue Chrisman

It seems obvious at this point the Cincinnati Bengals will make a change at punter during the bye this week.

Longtime veteran Kevin Huber has been off to one of the worst starts to his career over the 5-4 opening stretch for the team. That, after initially winning the job this past summer over Drue Chrisman.

Huber sits 30th in gross average punt yards and net average punt yards. He’s landed just nine inside the 20-yard line (24th). All are largely dramatic dips from his career averages.

Special teams coordinator Darrin Simmons told Paul Dehner Jr. of The Athletic that the unit needs to be better:

#Bengals STC Darrin Simmons on potential punter change of Kevin Huber to Drue Chrisman: "Punting game has to improve. It's been building for some time and necessity is the mother of invention". Says Chrisman's punted well in practice and something to try to figure out over bye. "Have to do what's right for team.

Translation: The team will make the evaluation this week and the likely change in time before practices start next week.

It could signal an unfortunate end to Huber’s time with the team given his incredible run. But as Simmons says, the unit has to do what it can to help the team, especially at 5-4 and 0-3 in the AFC North with a tough winter stretch in front of it.

Hmmmm...would have liked to see Huber exit on his own terms at the end of the year as planned, but yeah, he's been a liability and this team needs every yard of field advantage it can find at this point.  Always a favorite of mine, but probably time.

Same with Clark Harris for that matter...shame he got injured and that he and Huber couldn't have exited stage right together at the end of the year without issue.  The best laid plans of mice and men...

Have to imagine that Huber’s holding is what is keeping him around.  The kicking game has struggled.  Have to think that losing Harris contributed to that.  While I get that the punting game has to improve, adding a new holder to the kicking game isn’t a good thing. 

10 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Have to imagine that Huber’s holding is what is keeping him around.  The kicking game has struggled.  Have to think that losing Harris contributed to that.  While I get that the punting game has to improve, adding a new holder to the kicking game isn’t a good thing. 

100% this^^^^^

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Bring back Clark Harris next year!....😎

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

This truly is a game of inches and his net distance is about 5 yards below the league average. That is a huge amount. 

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

This truly is a game of inches and his net distance is about 5 yards below the league average. That is a huge amount. 

His punting is a liability now.

He's a pro so he knows he's slipped.

Will they make a change?

The man in the mirror looking back at Zach says...yes

6 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

His punting is a liability now.

He's a pro so he knows he's slipped.

Will they make a change?

The man in the mirror looking back at Zach says...yes

He was before the season started and everyone knows it as we watched his decline over the years.  I guess seeing short punts and shanks weren’t enough.  They should’ve kept Chrisman and let Huber go. 

1 hour ago, TigerJ@w said:

He was before the season started and everyone knows it as we watched his decline over the years.  I guess seeing short punts and shanks weren’t enough.  They should’ve kept Chrisman and let Huber go. 

Again, what kind of holder is Chrisman?  It matters.

Archived