Saturday/Sunday Games Thread

30 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

What were they thinking? Did they not know the score?

Another overrated coach.  Not to say Belichick is a bad coach, but you can't win like he did without great players and he had one of the best ever.  It's going to be harder and harder for him to succeed when the players realize he isn't all that and get tired of him being an asshole.

2 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Another overrated coach.  Not to say Belichick is a bad coach, but you can't win like he did without great players and he had one of the best ever.  It's going to be harder and harder for him to succeed when the players realize he isn't all that and get tired of him being an asshole.

This. 

It's why good coaches who don't have that guy at QB can't stick around. Once Carson left the writing was eventually on the wall for Marvin because Andy was never going to be that guy. It's why Zimmer never stood a chance in Minn, and it's why Tomlin won't last in the next 5 years. 

Coaches matter because we see even when we have that guy at QB, they have to have a good game plan and be able to have coaches who can adjust not just in game but over a season which has been the story of the Bengals this year, but with out a guy at QB a good coach wont last.

2 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Surely you guys don’t actually believe that BB called that play, right? 

No, but what I'm saying is he isn't the wizard he's made out to be, especially in New England.  His style of coaching is also on the way out.  Modern players don't react well to old school hard ass coaches unless you have amazing rapport with your players.  Even so, a lot of guys won't put up with being yelled at.  Chase's comments post-game yesterday are a good example.  I'm not criticizing Chase or modern players.  Times change and if you want to be successful you have to change with the times.  The Hoodie is living on borrowed time.

2 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I'm not criticizing Chase or modern players

I will criticize modern players. They can grow the fuck up and understand it isn't all about them. The Hoodie isn't even all that hard-core. Put these guys on a Forrest Gregg or Vince Lombardi squad, and see how fast their importance disappears. 

4 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

I will criticize modern players. They can grow the fuck up and understand it isn't all about them. The Hoodie isn't even all that hard-core. Put these guys on a Forrest Gregg or Vince Lombardi squad, and see how fast their importance disappears. 

Lol

13 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

You're a Boomer aren't you?

1 minute ago, spicoli said:

Lol isn’t it obvious 🤣

Didn't so much mean it as a slight, just that I am taking Diversity and Inclusion training at work right now and can see where Boomer thinking is so outdated and not understanding of modern day leadership. What worked in the 1950s doesn't work anymore and that's why we see so much complaining from them about "back in my day", back in your day the way things worked wasn't all that good either, often the results that were gotten also left many things on the table that never got discussed and led to issues that people had to deal with, often on their own. We've learned better as a society and left that way of thinking behind because we did learn, it would be great if the boomers would adapt and grow too instead of being stuck in their ways thinking their ideas are still good and it's everyone else that is wrong.

Coaches, like players, get old. Belichick was not being a good head coach when he installed Matt Patricia as Off Coord. His team is also woefully devoid of talent. Don't know that that's on him. History will forever debate whether he was great because of Tom Brady or because of his coaching. One has to wonder

2 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

Coaches, like players, get old. Belichick was not being a good head coach when he installed Matt Patricia as Off Coord. His team is also woefully devoid of talent. Don't know that that's on him. History will forever debate whether he was great because of Tom Brady or because of his coaching. One has to wonder

Brady is washed, but him getting that SB in Tampa has ended that debate, at least until Belichick is able to get one with out him.

19 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Lol isn’t it obvious 🤣

Is that a bad word? Did you ever play the sport—and act like a pompous ass in and between games? I did play and the one time I did decide to act the second part, it netted me the bench for a while. 

It’s called discipline. Something few people of the modern world are familiar with—and fewer  in professional sports. 

I will die this way, so don’t bother coming back with your snarky shit. 

19 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Didn't so much mean it as a slight, just that I am taking Diversity and Inclusion training at work right now and can see where Boomer thinking is so outdated and not understanding of modern day leadership. What worked in the 1950s doesn't work anymore and that's why we see so much complaining from them about "back in my day", back in your day the way things worked wasn't all that good either, often the results that were gotten also left many things on the table that never got discussed and led to issues that people had to deal with, often on their own. We've learned better as a society and left that way of thinking behind because we did learn, it would be great if the boomers would adapt and grow too instead of being stuck in their ways thinking their ideas are still good and it's everyone else that is wrong.

I have taken more of these “trainings” than I have fingers and toes. I have also conducted these type events—in other words, I have taught them. I am likely more in line with “awareness” than many of whatever 30-something navel-gazers out of Georgetown would be. 

I am a Boomer—a middle of the pack one, but one nonetheless. My father was a WW II combat veteran, and later a very successful businessman. I grew up with the discipline of paddling one’s own canoe, and being quiet about it. I also came of age during the height of counter-culture, civil rights, and the anti-war movement. I was the youngest member of the Central Ohio Students for a Democratic Society, and active in it. 

Somewhere in my 20’s I came to the realization that I would not always be in my 20’s. Tempering logic, empathy, understanding, and discipline were ingrained in me. I live it to this day. If there is anything to be ashamed of for that, it’s not going to come from me. 

Sorry if whatever focus group you participated in has no further use for people of my era. It’s OK, been through a lot of changes over all these years, and I’m still me…who I like quite a bit. 

3 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

I have taken more of these “trainings” than I have fingers and toes. I have also conducted these type events—in other words, I have taught them. I am likely more in line with “awareness” than many of whatever 30-something navel-gazers out of Georgetown would be. 

I am a Boomer—a middle of the pack one, but one nonetheless. My father was a WW II combat veteran, and later a very successful businessman. I grew up with the discipline of paddling one’s own canoe, and being quiet about it. I also came of age during the height of counter-culture, civil rights, and the anti-war movement. I was the youngest member of the Central Ohio Students for a Democratic Society, and active in it. 

Somewhere in my 20’s I came to the realization that I would not always be in my 20’s. Tempering logic, empathy, understanding, and discipline were ingrained in me. I live it to this day. If there is anything to be ashamed of for that, it’s not going to come from me. 

Sorry if whatever focus group you participated in has no further use for people of my era. It’s OK, been through a lot of changes over all these years, and I’m still me…who I like quite a bit. 

Did not mean to imply that that we have no further use for Boomers, simply that the ideas that Boomers had don't really stick anymore. Things have changed, we have learned and grown is all.

22 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Is that a bad word? Did you ever play the sport—and act like a pompous ass in and between games? I did play and the one time I did decide to act the second part, it netted me the bench for a while. 

It’s called discipline. Something few people of the modern world are familiar with—and fewer  in professional sports. 

I will die this way, so don’t bother coming back with your snarky shit. 

You head Jamar talk about how if Joe yelled at him like Brady does his guys he would be pissed. That's exactly the kind of past leadership thinking I am talking about. 

There are better ways to lead grown men and get the results you want out of them without alienating them and making things worse.

Archived