Coaching changes/Candidates 2023

15 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Head coaches don’t have to be coordinators or play callers, they need to be leaders. 

Head coaches have a lot of responsibility. How much responsibility does Callahan or Bienemy have? That's the thing

8 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

How much did Taylor have?

Not much. Taylor was a very risky hire. We had to suffer through rookie mistakes from him, such as his choice for an offensive line coach.  I don't think his choice of calling the plays is good either. Finally, if we hadn't stumbled upon Joe Burrow, I think we'd be calling for his head now

45 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

Not much. Taylor was a very risky hire. We had to suffer through rookie mistakes from him, such as his choice for an offensive line coach.  I don't think his choice of calling the plays is good either. Finally, if we hadn't stumbled upon Joe Burrow, I think we'd be calling for his head now

He's been bailed out of some questionable decisions even this year.

17 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Head coaches don’t have to be coordinators or play callers, they need to be leaders. 

It's hard to lead if you can't provide an example of success. Callahan has the OC title but nobody thinks it's his scheme. Same with Bienemy. 

Lots of people are good talkers who can sell themselves in an interview but that doesn't make them leaders. And there are plenty of guys with good leadership traits who have failed as head coaches. A good head coach has to not only lead the players but also find good staff who can implement a successful scheme and get everyone involved working in the same direction.

32 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

It's hard to lead if you can't provide an example of success. Callahan has the OC title but nobody thinks it's his scheme. Same with Bienemy. 

Lots of people are good talkers who can sell themselves in an interview but that doesn't make them leaders. And there are plenty of guys with good leadership traits who have failed as head coaches. A good head coach has to not only lead the players but also find good staff who can implement a successful scheme and get everyone involved working in the same direction.

A coach that develops other coaches has to actually let them do things.  I have no idea what Callahan's, or Bienimy's for that matter, role is, but by not calling plays it appears they aren't doing as much. 

Leadership or not, a coach can't perform miracles.  They have to have the players.  I've not been wild about Taylor's playcalling at times, but I won't question his leadership and how he has the guys on the same page.  Having the team stud, Burrow, vocally supporting him certainly makes a big difference as it did with Belichick/Brady in New England.

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

He's been bailed out of some questionable decisions even this year.

I mean, which NFL HC can’t say that?

The biggest thing is, we have Burrow and no one else does.

That said, I defy you to find a locker room in the league that loves/respects their HC more than this one does. 

It matters. 

12 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

lol yea all those OC's with bad players just killing it out there in the league.  of course good players are required to be successful as an OC or playcaller. of course.

so yea, if we had bad players we wouldnt be too happy with his results.

gruden took dungys team, won. SB and immediately destroyed everything. because gruden is a fucking idiot clown, ZT made many tough calls, releasing or trading houshold names in the bengals org that wouldnt buy in, he trusted his rebuild and building the locker room.

and he did a fantastic job, he didnt jump at talent with bad attitudes, he didnt keep guys because it would be unpopular to cut them, he rebuild a team from table scraps to a SB team. 

how many HC's and teams would ahve taken sewell over chase? 70%? drafting all the team captains and leaders over a slightly better player to ensure leadership in the lockerroom.

cmon now.

4 hours ago, spicoli said:

I mean, which NFL HC can’t say that?

The biggest thing is, we have Burrow and no one else does.

That said, I defy you to find a locker room in the league that loves/respects their HC more than this one does. 

It matters. 

for the love of god at least one other human gets it. 

fans want to run people out of town for the smallest shit, as if there is some perfect coach out there making no mistakes and perfect decisions endlessly.

8 hours ago, GoBengals said:

fans want to run people out of town for the smallest shit, as if there is some perfect coach out there making no mistakes and perfect decisions endlessly.

Who wants to run anyone out of town?  Jesus.  Any little criticism is taken like full blown attack. 

I don't think anyone wants Taylor gone.  He's done well.  At the same time some of his playcalling has been questionable.  Took him too long to let Burrow have the keys to the offense, IMO. 

At the same time the things you credit Taylor with also have to do with Mike Brown actually letting him do them.  Not so sure ten years ago Brown would have let any HC get rid of bad attitudes like Taylor has.  Good on Taylor, but the change in the front office has a lot to do with it as well. 

Callahan helps create the offense just as much as Taylor does. He also is vital in creating the culture. I am not sure he is ready but I wasn't sure Taylor was ready either. he has a lot of what Taylor had before he was hired. A team that is willing to be patient and let him have growing pains should be fine. I think he will be a great head coach. 

On 12/29/2022 at 11:27 AM, sparky151 said:

My definition of leader would be someone who would hire excellent staff below him. Good coaches they need a team of other good coaches as part of a winning formula. Every hire of a guy who has never been a HC before is a leap of faith, often why teams go with guys who perhaps struggled at their first go round but learned from it. 
Kind of like the draft I suppose - some art, some science, some guy feel and some finger crossing. 

On 12/30/2022 at 7:33 AM, UncleEarl said:

Who wants to run anyone out of town?  Jesus.  Any little criticism is taken like full blown attack. 

I don't think anyone wants Taylor gone.  He's done well.  At the same time some of his playcalling has been questionable.  Took him too long to let Burrow have the keys to the offense, IMO. 

At the same time the things you credit Taylor with also have to do with Mike Brown actually letting him do them.  Not so sure ten years ago Brown would have let any HC get rid of bad attitudes like Taylor has.  Good on Taylor, but the change in the front office has a lot to do with it as well. 

calm your tits.

i was speaking generally, just look at the revolving doors around the league, hell just look at denver, hire a defensive coach, builds top defensive team, fired, hire offensive coach, give him washed up shit players, fire him in less than a season, and then there IS every coach who has ever been here i suppose.

and lets not pretend firing taylor hasnt come up here like 25 times. and absolutely none of us have any idea how much call playing ability joe has, it doesnt appear to be much at all what so ever aside from normal audibles, so what are you even talking about? when did he get the keys? when his helmet went out ?

....jesus...indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

The top candidates are probably Payton, Harbaugh and Quinn

I think if Harbaugh leaves he goes to Indy

Quinn to Denver

Payton who knows but I don't think the Saints would trade him to Carolina. He reportedly wants to go to the West Coast. 

Panthers want an offensive guy. I think that Moore and Steichen probably stand out the most there. 

Texans reportedly want to hire Josh McCown but it just makes no sense so they probably wont.  Demeco Ryans will probably be a top candidate there too. 

Cardinals might be an option.

Rams might be open if McVay steps away. 

9 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Quinn to Denver

Payton who knows but I don't think the Saints would trade him to Carolina. He reportedly wants to go to the West Coast. 

Panthers want an offensive guy. I think that Moore and Steichen probably stand out the most there. 

Texans reportedly want to hire Josh McCown but it just makes no sense so they probably wont.  Demeco Ryans will probably be a top candidate there too. 

Carolina needs to keep Wilks and spend on coordinators.  He’s a guy that can run a team and get guys on the right page. 

10 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Quinn to Denver

Looks like Harbaugh is being investigated by the NCAA so he may be jumping ship from Michigan sooner rather than later. 

As for McVay, how do you go from being a Super Bowl winning coach to possibly unemployed a year later?

11 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

Looks like Harbaugh is being investigated by the NCAA so he may be jumping ship from Michigan sooner rather than later. 

As for McVay, how do you go from being a Super Bowl winning coach to possibly unemployed a year later?

He has reportedly got some options in the booth. I can't imagine he would be paid less and I assume thats far less work. 

10 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

Because your team went all in to win in 2021. Now the Rams are low on talent, low on draft picks and low on cap space. McVay doesn't want to sit through that

14 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

He has reportedly got some options in the booth. I can't imagine he would be paid less and I assume thats far less work. 

Who has options, McVay or Harbaugh, or both?

I don't know if I could stomach listening to Harbaugh on any broadcast. 

39 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

As far as McVay, losing 2 great offensive tackles and replacing them with garden gnomes was step 1.    Losing Cupp was step 2.  Having almost zero draft capital and in cap hell would be 3. 

I don’t think his job is on the line, I think he doesn’t want to hang around for a rebuild.  And the COLD HARD reality is even after bringing LA and the Rams a championship, nobody in that town cares.  The Raiders are still a bigger draw.  

Looks like Harbaugh is accused of doing the same thing Tressel did:  Not cooperating with or impeding an NCAA investigation.  

Archived