* Bills @ Bengals - GameDay Thread *

21 minutes ago, Griever said:

A “19th week”? How in the heck would that be possible—with Wild Card Weekend set for the week after next? 

I suppose they could move the WCW to the following week, and eliminate one of the SB weeks, but this is the NFL we are considering here. 

Just so everyone knows, it's ok to discuss what's going to happen with the game without preempting it with "His health is first" or "The game doesn't matter as much as his health" etc... You are allowed to wonder what's going to happen with the game AND still care about how he's doing. 

I think the NFL will need an official policy from here on out that in cases of the game being suspended due to a rare traumatic injury (that makes continuing dangerous as players heads will not present), the score at that time becomes the final result. In this case a Bengals win 7-3. 

As really there is no way to maintain the competitive balance if you played the game tomorrow, in a few days etc.

Giving the Bengals a tie in this instance isn't correct, as if the teams were forced to continue playing last night, the Bengals likely win big based on the fact that the Bills players were (justifiably) traumatized from watching their brother essentially die on the field and be revived. 

His life is the top priority, but the NFL is a sport and from an insignificant sporting strandpoint the Bengals were winning the game, thus won, if it never continues. 

So the game where the Danish player collapses (Ericsson) was in a major tournament.  The game was suspended at the time and resumed later that evening.  But it was known that he survived and was doing fine. 

biggest worry I have is whether there was a long delay with him getting CPR and/or delay in getting him shocked.  Do teams have AEDs on the field with them?  Did they have to wait for the ambulance to get it?  Was he in arrest for 1-2 minutes before he got cpr?  Even so he is young and can still wake up with no neuro damage but that might not be known for days 

4 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

I think the NFL will need an official policy from here on out that in cases of the game being suspended due to a rare traumatic injury (that makes continuing dangerous as players heads will not present), the score at that time becomes the final result. In this case a Bengals win 7-3. 

As really there is no way to maintain the competitive balance if you played the game tomorrow, in a few days etc.

Giving the Bengals a tie in this instance isn't correct, as if the teams were forced to continue playing last night, the Bengals likely win big based on the fact that the Bills players were (justifiably) traumatized from watching their brother essentially die on the field and be revived. 

His life is the top priority, but the NFL is a sport and from an insignificant sporting strandpoint the Bengals were winning the game, thus won, if it never continues. 

Agree with this.  I’m surprised they haven’t come up with a policy but that would be admitting the sport is dangerous. 
If they had a policy then nobody can complain later. 

5 minutes ago, tibor75 said:

So the game where the Danish player collapses (Ericsson) was in a major tournament.  The game was suspended at the time and resumed later that evening.  But it was known that he survived and was doing fine. 

biggest worry I have is whether there was a long delay with him getting CPR and/or delay in getting him shocked.  Do teams have AEDs on the field with them?  Did they have to wait for the ambulance to get it?  Was he in arrest for 1-2 minutes before he got cpr?  Even so he is young and can still wake up with no neuro damage but that might not be known for days 

How long will they wait before trying to "wake him up"?

4 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

They can't "punish" the Bills by making them take a forfeit, PR-wise.

The Bills organization should actually insist on the forfeit themselves. If they really do believe that the game is secondary to their teammate's health.

Bills players may not even want to play next week either, and have to forfeit again. Which would be understandable. 

I even wonder how the Bengals players psyche will be affected.

Does Tee still run as hard after knowing that the last time he tried to run someone over they "died"? 

Do Bengals safeties not fill the gap as fast knowing that a freak trauma to their chest could kill them instantly?

The odds are astronomically low for such an event happening again, but it's likely both teams will have players with some mental PTSD after this and it may affect their play the rest of the season. 

2 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Does Tee still run as hard after knowing that the last time he tried to run someone over they "died"? 

Do Bengals safeties not fill the gap as fast knowing that a freak trauma to their chest could kill them instantly?

The odds are astronomically low for such an event happening again, but it's likely both teams will have players with some mental PTSD after this and it may affect their play the rest of the season. 

Agree

8 hours ago, GoBengals said:

yea this seems to be getting blown out of proportion. They didn’t show any brass balls or anything but normal compassion. The officials did what the book says. If there is a long stoppage you get a warm up period. The nfl made every decision along the way from everything I can tell. Seems the coaches were like fuck this warming up shit let’s hit the locker rooms

regroup and wait for the nfl. 

reds just following the rules. They can’t call a game. And the nfl sure as fuck didn’t call in and say five minutes and it’s go time. Just the rules after a stoppage. 

good honest Dr. His videos are great. 

Absolute bullshit. 

what the hell are you even on about? Tens of thousands of people mentioned the vaccine online in many posts and even in here. Get a fucking grip. 

Ding. 

Ding. 

Get a grip on yourself. What fucking angle even is this? What is it your mad about that he said?

Seriously. Two posts about a real doctor who makes videos describing and sharing info about health and injuries. What’s the problem here? Explain yourself. 

Right on queue you come in with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight on some holier than thou bullshit. Explain that.

The live broadcast and every single news source reported they were given 5 minutes to resume play. Maybe that never happened, or maybe sometimes people and especially huge billion dollar organizations might actually LIE about things when their actions make them look bad in, again, hindsight. Yeah, "as if."

So excuse the fuck out of me for reacting to the information we all had in the moment.

Secondly, some player was briefly dead on the field for unknown reasons and that somehow, incredibly, based on pure speculation, to some people seemed like an opening for an antivax debate. Go ahead and explain that, too. 

35 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

How long will they wait before trying to "wake him up"?

Hard to know.  Sometimes patients are cooled after an arrest although I think the data is not as clear if it improves neurological outcomes.  If cooled he would be kept in coma for a few days 

if not, even when patients are sedated you can assess them for neuro status.  Patients are rarely kept so sedated that they couldn’t wake up if they were going to.   Even when patients are sedated on a ventilator they can still wake up and/or you can tell if they are breathing independent of the ventilator 

As if we need another reason to love JB. 

vN2QmbEg_bigger.jpg

Was told that after the teams were brought back in to wait inside, QB Joe Burrow gathered the Bengals captains and they walked over as a group to the Bills' locker room to check on the Buffalo players. In these sorts of situations, NFL players take care of each other.

2 minutes ago, saphead said:

As if we need another reason to love JB. 

vN2QmbEg_bigger.jpg

Was told that after the teams were brought back in to wait inside, QB Joe Burrow gathered the Bengals captains and they walked over as a group to the Bills' locker room to check on the Buffalo players. In these sorts of situations, NFL players take care of each other.

Class act

45 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

I hope both teams have a trauma/crisis councilor they can turn to to talk to the players.

1 hour ago, tibor75 said:

FWIW... We left just when they announced a "temporary suspension of play"

Saw him being transferred to a regular hospital ambulance with all the lights and sirens

and I assume better equipment on our way out.

46 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Yeah the antivax ghouls crawling out from under their rocks just to push some stupid narrative seemed a bit over the top. Glad it wasn’t just me that came away annoyed. 

Everyone was shook, I'm over it. Man asked me to explain myself (like I shit on the rug or something lol) so y'know.. I did.

Posted this several pages back, but the rules are semi-vague. They are not specific as to player injury on field resulting in the suspension. This truly will be new territory for the league. 

Emergencies

Emergencies -- Policy

The National Football League requires all League personnel, including game officials, League office employees, players, coaches, and other club employees to use best effort to see that each game -- preseason, regular season, and postseason -- is played to its conclusion. The League recognizes, however, that emergencies may arise that make a game�s completion impossible or inadvisable. Such circumstances may include, but are not limited to, severely inclement weather, natural or manmade disaster, power failure, and spectator interference. Games should be suspended, cancelled, postponed, or terminated when circumstances exist such that comencement or continuation of play would pose a threat to the safety of participants or spectators.

Authority of Commissioner�s Office

1. Authority to cancel, postpone, or terminate games is vested only in the Commissioner and the League President (other League office representatives and referees may suspend play temporarily; see point No. 3 under this section and point No. 1 under "Authority of Referee" below). The following definitions apply:

Cancel. To cancel a game is to nullify it either before or after it begins and to make no provision for rescheduling it or for including its score or

other performance statistics in League records.

Postpone. To postpone a game is (a) to defer its starting time to a later date, or (b) to suspend it after play has begun and to make provision to resume at a later date with all scores and other performance statistics up to the point of postponement added to those achieved in the resumed portion of the game.

Terminate. To terminate a game is to end it short of a full 60 minutes of play, to record it officially as a completed game, and to make no provision to resume it at a later date. The Commissioner or League President may terminate a game in an emergency if, in his opinion, it is reasonable to project that its resumption (a) would not change its ultimate result or (b) would not adversely affect any other interteam competitive issue.

Forfeit. The Commissioner, (except in cases of disciplinary action; see last section on "Removing Team from Field"), League President, and their representatives, including referees, are not authorized unilaterally to declare forfeits. A forfeit occurs only when a game is not played because of the failure or refusal of one team to participate. In that event, the other team, if ready and willing to play, is the winner by a score of 2-0.

2. If an emergency arises that may require cancellation, postponement, or termination (see above), the highest ranking representative from the Commissioner�s office working the game in a "control" capacity will consult with the Commissioner, League President, or game-day duty officer designated by the League (by telephone, if that person is not in attendance) concerning such decision. If circumstances warrant, the League representative should also attempt to consult with the weather bureau and with appropriate security personnel of the League, club, stadium, and local authorities. If no representative from the Commissioner�s office is working the game in a "control" capacity, the referee will be in charge (see "Authority of Referee" below).

3. In circumstances where safety is of immediate concern, the Commissioner�s-office representative may, after consulting with the referee, authorize a temporary suspension in play and, if warranted, removal of the participants from the playing field. The representative should be mindful of the safety of spectators, players, game officials, nonplayer personnel in the bench areas, and other field-level personnel such as photographers and cheerleaders.

4. If possible, the League-office representative should consult with authorized representatives of the two participating clubs before any decision involving cancellation, postponement, or termination is made by the Commissioner or League President.

5. If the Commissioner or League President decides to cancel, postpone, or terminate a game, his representative at the game or the game-day duty officer will then determine the method(s) for announcing such decision, e.g., by public-address announcement over referee�s wireless microphone, by public-address announcement by home club, or by communication to radio, television, and other news media.

Archived