* Bills @ Bengals - GameDay Thread *

11 minutes ago, MOC said:

mem, I sincerely apologize for lashing out at you for what was just an innocent opinion regarding my post. I'm thinking my kindergarten teacher may have been on to something when she wrote on the back of my report card "MOC doesn't accept criticism well". 63 years later, it still holds true :shrug:

I still think I'm still a little traumatized also from Monday Night's event. We had had such a great time at our tailgate, which was right next to one of the major Bills Mafia tailgates (I'm assuming around 1000 or so Bills fans) and we all acted like we had been best friends Black and Orange, Red and Blue alike! It was maybe the best tailgate I've ever attended and I've been to too many to count. And then to have this event happen at the game, still seems somewhat surreal.

We're all fans of our men and women in Orange and Black and I have really come to enjoy being a part of this message board and the actual and virtual friends I have made here.

I'm going to step away from the keyboard for a few days and recollect my thoughts. Prayers to Hamlin and his family and all on this board. I'll see you all again soon.  

No worries, friend.  

4 hours ago, Cricket said:

I don’t care much for Kraft and the Patriots, but I love that his/their donation is for $18,003…obviously due to Damar’s jersey number.  

I'll never get over the fact that he was busted in a whorehouse and only the hookers got in trouble for it. 

3 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

It was Hamlin's uncle who said he'd been resuscitated at the hospital. If that's not true, he should retract it

That's nice of Jeff Ruby and all but if I'm the family, I've lost my appetite for now. If D. Hamlin opens his eyes, maybe

Notice he wrote "at Paycor". He very well could have been resuscitated in the ambulance or at the hospital.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Jeff Ruby would never miss an opportunity to see his name in print. Have you ever read an interview with the guy? He loves to imply he's mobbed up & some kind of tough guy.  I have friends that worked for him & said he's prone to temper tantrums & breaking shit not for any particular reason but to appear intimidating.  Said nobody would ever work for or with him more than once.

I agree but a Jeff Ruby (Not So) Fun Fact... He survived the Beverly Hills Supper Club fire all those years ago.

Was in the main dining room listening to John Davidson perform and made it out safely.  Still traumatized by it

as one would think.

Source: Forbidden Fruit (History of Newport gang life... fascinating book) by Peter Bronson

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Jeff Ruby would never miss an opportunity to see his name in print. Have you ever read an interview with the guy? He loves to imply he's mobbed up & some kind of tough guy.  I have friends that worked for him & said he's prone to temper tantrums & breaking shit not for any particular reason but to appear intimidating.  Said nobody would ever work for or with him more than once.

We were in Lexington for the Breeder's Cup.  We had a connection to get a table at Jeff Ruby's that Friday night.  Celeb city.  Bo Derek, Collinsworth, Portnoy and crew, Toby Keith, Drew Beldsoe, and all the horse racing celebrities most of you wouldn't know.  Crazy.

Ruby was there hamming it up.  He literally had guards in body armor out front.  You had to check in with a guy in an iPad to get past them.  So, yeah...I see that point.

39 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I agree but a Jeff Ruby (Not So) Fun Fact... He survived the Beverly Hills Supper Club fire all those years ago.

Was in the main dining room listening to John Davidson perform and made it out safely.  Still traumatized by it

as one would think.

Source: Forbidden Fruit (History of Newport gang life... fascinating book) by Peter Bronson

Damn...hadn't thought of the Beverly Hills Supper Club in decades.  You know you're old when you remember that!

42 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

That was a fascinating book.

As for the Beverly Hills Supper Club fire, I remember sitting on my friend's front porch when I heard about it. 

7 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

We were in Lexington for the Breeder's Cup.  We had a connection to get a table at Jeff Ruby's that Friday night.  Celeb city.  Bo Derek, Collinsworth, Portnoy and crew, Toby Keith, Drew Beldsoe, and all the horse racing celebrities most of you wouldn't know.  Crazy.

Ruby was there hamming it up.  He literally had guards in body armor out front.  You had to check in with a guy in an iPad to get past them.  So, yeah...I see that point.

By the way...Bo Derek is still insanely hot for a woman in her mid 60s.  She's certainly had some work done, but she looks natural.  The people at her table looked like relics compared to her.

2 hours ago, membengal said:

I'm old I guess. To this day, I check for exits when I enter a building. 

No doubt. That fire changed things for all of us. My mom and stepdad were flying over it. Mom said she could see the bodies lined up the driveway. Horrid!!

2 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

In a world full of phonies Zach Taylor is a genuine man..

No wonder players love him and his style of coaching ..

If he and he and Sean Dermott are not the Co Coaches of the Year  the whole thing is a fallacy.

The are head and shoulders above any other coaches in the NFL as far as leadership, sportsmanship and integrity.

You really could not give it to one over the other.

Speaking of awards, Joe Burrow and Josh Allen are now behind in the stats categories for most of the quarterback awards (I think)

Also don't forget Joe was pulled for at least a quarter in one game because we were ahead.

Also if this game does not count, I recall Joe needed twelve passes to reach  some sort of record.

He was 4/4 with a TD.  He will surely get the last eight passes Sunday barring tragedy but it would

be nice to have four extra on there if someone else comes close.

Although way down the line, how will the draft order be affected?

Why do I think if this was Pittsburgh or Dallas vs anyone in the same situation, game suspended/postponed with 5 minutes left in the first

quarter it would be a W for them long before now. 

Moot point and seemingly insignificant BUT credit where credit is due for Pumpkin's two little Pumpkins...

The light show before the game with the coordinated flashing fan cell phones in the stands was SPECTACULAR

and very creative and some sort of technological wizardry waayyyy over my little head.  Didn't work with my flip phone but still...

Sad their effort and the result got lost in the tragedy.

I did want to mention and send props to all the Bengals staff who were involved.

6 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

And you didn't invite ol' Tibor?  Sadness

Just had dinner at Ruby's tonight

4 minutes ago, Catfish Bob said:

Did they ever announce when they will announce how the outcome of this game will go down in the history books as a win or tie?

No...

Commish has to put it all together to get it Half right

Which seems to be a no win situation for a team or two.

Either a Bengal win or

No contest.and both teams records remain the same going into final week..

I believe the solution is go from here with the no contest and best percentages win seasons end..

1 minute ago, claptonrocks said:

No...

Commish has to put it all together to get it Half right

Which seems to be a no win situation for a team or two.

Either a Bengal win or

No contest.and both teams records remain the same going into final week..

I believe the solution is go from here with the no contest and best percentages win seasons end..

Yeah what you said seems to make the most sense.

I was thinking give us the W and Buffalo a tie or no contest but that would probably be dumb.

10 hours ago, tibor75 said:

And you didn't invite ol' Tibor?  Sadness

Just had dinner at Ruby's tonight

Which one?

We had reservations for the old one downtown after the Falcons game

but the new one on Fountain Square opened in the mean time so we

dined there right after it opened and the reservations transferred over.

Very posh, of course.  Have not been able to make reservations at a reasonable

time since for lady friend and I since.

Not the first time this has happened in Cincinnati either.

I just remembered that umpire that died on Reds opening day of cardiac arrest. I remember emailing the NBC station here in DC because they showed him collapsing on their news broadcast, saying I thought doing that was in poor taste. (Ironically I ended up doing an internship there and a part time job for a year after the fact.)

Archived