* Bills @ Bengals - GameDay Thread *

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

It's been mentioned in this thread.

Think the only people who know WTF happened are maybe the docs at UC and the news just said they're still running tests. Kooks on YT with an agenda need to put a sock in it.

2 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

There was alot of discussion about the vaccine on twitter after this (both accusatory and defending it) ... Which is likely why this doctor discussed it. 

The prestigious and storied Facebook School of Medicine. They sure are handing out degrees lately 

Since the refs were wanting to continue the game and the two coaches talking to each other then the players all leaving the field is this going to be a Bills forfeit? I know this game will not be continued. There is no way to continue it. It's got to go to the Bengals. 

8 minutes ago, BengalBacker said:

If I heard it right on Sports Center, Hamlin has some sort of charity that had about $10,000. They said it is now over $1million.

I posted it earlier but....

https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the-chasing-ms-foundation-community-toy-drive?fbclid=IwAR2YyblBxQJq98qkpKsqsAWq7jK_Ea4-guT96Yrjl9pRJmSYWq_JNrPbCdM

2 minutes ago, Gary said:

Since the refs were wanting to continue the game and the two coaches talking to each other then the players all leaving the field is this going to be a Bills forfeit? I know this game will not be continued. There is no way to continue it. It's got to go to the Bengals. 

I highly doubt that they'll make the Bills forfeit this

Wow crazy and scary game. 

I saw some comments about the medical aspects. 

Seemed clear that he did not suffer any head injury and that he had a cardiac arrest.  I see that the most common explanation would be chest trauma causing his heart to fibrillate. Otherwise would be just a coincidence that he went into arrest at that particular time. If I remember, the soccer player who arrested earlier this year or last year, was just walking doing nothing?  In that case I think they assumed he had a pre-existing cardiac issue. 

Commotio cordis is most classically associated with a young baseball player who gets hit directly in the chest with a hit baseball.  I assume this is more common because of the direct chest contact with a small object at high velocity, the lack of chest protection by the player (other than catchers nobody wears anything), and the lack of chest muscles / tissue in young people.  I do not know how common this situation is in other sports, but it of course it can happen with any chest trauma.  Just odd in this situation since NFL players wear chest protection and in this case, the direct contact did not seem to be relocated right over the heart. But the time frame fits, because the loss of consciousness would not right away, but a few seconds later.   Actually looking at the video a bit more, it seems that the area of contact between him and Higgins was mainly over the left chest.  

The key will be if the trainers determined quickly enough that he did go into arrest and start up CPR and get him shocked as soon as possible. 

The time to first shock has been the only thing proven to improve survival after cardiac arrest.  Less is better.  This is why people are told to stop worrying about mouth to mouth breathing.  Most bystanders don't like to do it anyway and it just interferes with the most important thing - call 911 and get an AED.

It is not surprising he is intubated.  Any time a person gets CPR for over 5 minutes or so, they will get them intubated. 

Archived