Rats Week (Episode 2)

I heard on radio a commercial I believe for win the afc north title. Simple math says we have 4 loses Baltimore has six. If the game didn’t count against bills we already won afc north. I  would not play single starter beyond first quarter .

who knows how this plays out hopefully for the best for everyone involved.hope Hamlin improves to be able to live his life. 

43 minutes ago, Mikeslumina said:

I heard on radio a commercial I believe for win the afc north title. Simple math says we have 4 loses Baltimore has six. If the game didn’t count against bills we already won afc north. I  would not play single starter beyond first quarter .

who knows how this plays out hopefully for the best for everyone involved.hope Hamlin improves to be able to live his life. 

They would have to beat Baltimore to secure it IF the league makes us play the Bills game still. Otherwise would need a win over Bills IF lose to Baltimore this week. 

Surely, the NFL recognizes that it HAS to make a determination prior to this weekend’s games so that the teams know what is at stake…instead of waiting for this weekend’s game results to determine if the outcome of the Bills-Bengals game has any influence on seeding.  

45 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

The only thing to gain by beating the Ravens is a possible jump to the #2 seed but that would mean Buffalo losing on Sunday. Is that worth playing our starters? I don't know

And if the Chiefs lose Saturday, Buffalo Sunday and we win Sunday would that mean...

Bengals e mail

We are excited to welcome you back to Paycor Stadium! The NFL has just announced that kickoff on Sunday will be at 1:00 PM as your Cincinnati Bengals look to win their 8th straight game as they take on the Baltimore Ravens. Please read through the updates below to ensure a seamless experience so that you can spend more of your time in your seats cheering for the Bengals.

**Please Note** we are expecting a packed house so be sure to arrive EARLY and be LOUD to bring The Jungle to life and give the Bengals one of the best home field advantages in the NFL.

WHO DEY!

Is your bag clear? If you are bringing a bag it must comply with our clear bag policy, see below for additional info on what you can bring to Paycor Stadium!
>> Cincinnati vs. Buffalo Update
The Monday Night Football game against the Buffalo Bills has been postponed and will not be resumed this week. A decision has not yet been made regarding a possible resumption of the game at a later date. We will provide you with an update as soon as a decision has been made.

6 hours ago, dex said:

You can franchise tag a safety and get away with it. There is no way you can tag a franchise QB like Lamar and have him play for you. At this point you can't even franchise tag an elite WR as they know how valuable they are. Jackson has all of the power here. Baltimore has only 2 legit options - sign him to an extension or trade him before the draft to pick up a TON of top picks.

You can definitely tag Lamar and give him 2 options: play for 45 million or not play at all. If he wants not play for 2 years while turning down a long term deal and over 90 million dollars then be my guest. 

If Lamar doesn't play again this year then the last memory of him will be getting hurt and blowing leads...that's not going to get you 250 million guaranteed, which is what is he wants. Just because the Browns are dumb doesn't mean the other 31 teams have to be. 

23 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

The Chiefs game means nothing unless we finish the Buffalo game

But I'm saying if the NFL does the right thing and declares us the winner.

Or if Buffalo would forfeit be declared a forfeit by the NFL.

They simply can't leave the thing hanging there.

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

You can definitely tag Lamar and give him 2 options: play for 45 million or not play at all. If he wants not play for 2 years while turning down a long term deal and over 90 million dollars then be my guest. 

Try to strongarm Jackson like that and all you would do is hurt yourself. Both the Ravens front office and Jackson know that they could get at least 2 first round draft choices as a starting point. If you don't believe that, look at what top WRs like Davonta Adams and Tyreek Hill netted in trades. You don't think that a QB-starved team like Atlanta wouldn't pay a king's ransom for Jackson? You are suggesting that the Ravens play a game of franchise tag chicken with Jackson, knowing that the only way they can win here is to deal him to the highest bidder if they can't get him to sign an extension. Baltimore's front office is too shrewd to cut their own throats as you suggest.

I think it will be telling if Lamar doesn’t play this week.  The Ravens need to win and the Chargers to lose to move up to the 5 seed.  They would also need the Bills to beat us next week if that game is resumed to have a chance at the division title.  My guess is they don’t see all three of those things happening.  They will definitely try to win regardless, but saving Lamar for the playoffs is probably the best move given the uncertainty of the situation.

The Rats have a bunch to play for actually. 

While (at least for this week) they would be out of the division, a win against the Bengals has the potential to put them in JAX as a 6 Seed, with the expectation LAC wins and heads our way. A great matchup potential for them. 

And a win here keeps a flicker of hope alive, in the event the league decides to make up BUF-CIN and the Bengals lose that one. 

(Going off the Playoff Machine) 

5 hours ago, dex said:

Try to strongarm Jackson like that and all you would do is hurt yourself. Both the Ravens front office and Jackson know that they could get at least 2 first round draft choices as a starting point. If you don't believe that, look at what top WRs like Davonta Adams and Tyreek Hill netted in trades. You don't think that a QB-starved team like Atlanta wouldn't pay a king's ransom for Jackson? You are suggesting that the Ravens play a game of franchise tag chicken with Jackson, knowing that the only way they can win here is to deal him to the highest bidder if they can't get him to sign an extension. Baltimore's front office is too shrewd to cut their own throats as you suggest.

I live in Atlanta and they aren't interested in Lamar Jackson, I've have asked insiders with the team and they didn't give the idea of Jackson the time of day. The Falcons just got out of a bad relationship with Matt Ryan that hamstrung their franchise for years because they gave him too much cap space, they aren't going down that road again. If you recall the Falcons were going to trade for Watson, an Atlanta native, but the deal fell apart and Ryan got pissed that they were going to do it and demanded a trade. The deal fell apart because they didn't want to give Watson $230 million guaranteed, they definitely aren't giving Lamar $250 million guaranteed. 

After the Browns gave Watson $230 million dollars, the rest of the NFL teams discussed this and said no other team was going to go down that road with fully guaranteed contracts for QB's as it would bankrupt the franchise. The NFLPA recently filed a grievance against the NFL saying that the teams have colluded to avoid repeating the Watson contract: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10056504-nflpa-files-grievance-alleges-nfl-colludes-with-teams-to-avoid-guaranteed-contracts

Baltimore Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti admitted he was not pleased with the Browns for guaranteeing Watson's contract.

"I'm trying to answer that when I had a reaction to it. And it's like, 'Damn, I wish they hadn't guaranteed the whole contract,'" Bisciotti told reporters at the NFL league meetings. "I don't know that he should've been the first guy to get a fully guaranteed contract. To me, that's something that is groundbreaking, and it'll make negotiations harder with others. But it doesn't necessarily mean that we have to play that game, you know? We shall see. If I was in bogged-down negotiations with Lamar, then maybe I would have a quicker reaction to that news."

It's worth noting Bisciotti's organization failed to reach a long-term contract with quarterback Lamar Jackson, thanks in large part to Jackson wanting to match the guarantees given to Watson.

Lamar is going to find out the hard way that he's not getting the deal he wants, he's going to have to compromise with any team that signs him. The Ravens have completely built their entire team around Lamar's style of play and they're going to do everything in the power, short of giving him $250 million guaranteed, to keep him.   

Jackson and his Momanger are not getting a Watson-esque deal out of the NFL. It might take him a while to realize that his best option is to stay in Baltimore where they already built a team around him and believed in him from day 1, when almost every other NFL passed on him in the first round. He could leave but he's going to get the deal he wants and Baltimore isn't going to let him go without significant compensation. 

Archived