To continue, terminate, call a draw, declare a winner, etc...

This would have the potential for being the dumbest idea ever.

Randomly removing a game?  So they randomly remove losses from the Chiefs and Ravens and thus royally screw over both the Bills and Bengals.  Yeah, that's not going to go over well.

All of these convoluted concepts and plans and rescheduling, all to avoid the fact that everyone can BOTH: (a) rightfully feel sorry for the Bills + feel for Hamlin, and (b) recognize that they deserve the loss, since they were losing the game when their teammate died on the field, and were emotionally unable to continue. 

It's not cruel to just go with the scoreboard as it stood. In fact, it's the only solution that makes any sense. 

The Bills can also "do the right thing" and stop all the madness by just forfeiting the game.

Because if they are honest with themselves they would recognize that they would have been blown out if forced to continue playing. So Zac was trying to do the merciful and kind thing by not making them play in such a traumatic emotional state. 

3 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

The Bills should forfeit for the following reasons:

1. Since they clearly didn't want to continue

2. Care more about their brother than the game

3. They were losing the game when it ended

4. Left Cincinnati the following day, thus making it impossible to finish the game this week.

It was a tragic accident, but in my extremely unpopular opinion it's way to premature to say this was caused by playing football. There have been numerous examples of people, seemingly healthy, having sudden heart attacks in all walks of life. Based on what transpired during that play there is little evidence that Hamlin's condition was caused by the tackle of Higgins. 

Hamlin could have a family history of heart attacks, murmurs, HCM, etc. His health information is not publicly available and there's to much unknown to say what exactly happened. I do know this has happened before, specifically a NBA player named Reggie Lewis for the Celtics died on the court in a very similar situation. 

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/sudden_death_of_baltimore_basketball_player_reggie_lewis_spurs_coach_to_screen_other_young_players_for_heart_defects

Apparently, African American athletes are at higher risk for this heart condition. It's unfortunate but rare and you can't blame anyone. 

The Bills have to get their minds right and move forward, regardless of what happens to Hamlin. If they can't then that's their problem, not the rest of the league and the Bengals should not be punished because of it.

Like I said, not the most popular opinion but I think the more time passes and more information is uncovered and revealed, it makes the most sense. I've seen a lot of overly emotional responses on TV and social media from former and current players, which I completely understand. But once the emotions subside you have to move forward in a logical manner. 

Throw in Hank Gathers and Pete Maravich as well.  

Time will tell, but none of the options are anyone’s fault.  

There is no good way out of this.

1. We had more points, sure, but we can't assume that is how it would have ended either.

2. The Bills lose out on the number 1 seed because of a freak accident? Same with our chances of it?

3. The Chiefs are awarded it or not awarded it because of the same reasons?

4. The Rats have no chance at the AFCN title now?

5. They play the game in 2 weeks and all the other playoff teams get a built in bye week now?

There isn't going to be anything coming out of this that is fair, which is why the dice roll takes any bias out of it and is as close to fair as you can get otherwise.

15 minutes ago, saphead said:

I'd like to be a fly on the wall in Goodells office this week 

I'd like to see this dice roll or whatever happen publicly.  Show me all the names in the hat aren't actually "Mahomes".

If Roger Goodell told me water is wet I'd go stick my hand under the nearest faucet to be sure. This guy would be a Senator if it paid half as well as the NFL.

31 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

I've also heard the potential of a no contest AND the option for Bills/Pats & Bengals/Ravens be no contests as well.  

So, they're going to give all of these teams an extra week's rest? Also, aren't the Patriots in a "Win and you're in" situation? Are they in if they don't play?

I can't see Belicheck going for that. 

If this is the NFL signaling anything, the simplest interpretation is that there is NOT going to be any replay or resumption of the game. 

Now, time for an end to the rubbish about random selections, cancellations, or moving weekends around. Just declare the Bengals the winners and/or the Bills forfeit. 

Simple as that. 

4 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

If this is the NFL signaling anything, the simplest interpretation is that there is NOT going to be any replay or resumption of the game. 

Now, time for an end to the rubbish about random selections, cancellations, or moving weekends around. Just declare the Bengals the winners and/or the Bills forfeit. 

Simple as that. 

The rubbish will continue until the NFL makes an official statement.  Just scheduling the Bengals-Rats game for 1:00 does not qualify.

Archived