To continue, terminate, call a draw, declare a winner, etc...

15 minutes ago, membengal said:

No, a lot changed - Buffalo had top seed before Monday. KC needed Bengals or Pats to beat Buffalo to get to the top seed...

But if Buff won on Monday they would have kept the top seed, even with KC winning, and we would no longer be in contention for it.

12 minutes ago, membengal said:

Right. I wasnt taking about us. I was responding to the post - a lot changed at the top.  It is what it is but KC probably lucks into one seed over Buffalo without bills losing. Non-game gets KC there. 

Shame. Hope they lose on Saturday. 

Assuming if they do, we'd be the 2 seed and Buff the 1 based on winning percentages? 

1 hour ago, membengal said:

No, a lot changed - Buffalo had top seed before Monday. KC needed Bengals or Pats to beat Buffalo to get to the top seed...

You are correct.

If KC loses Saturday, their record would be 13-4 which is a .765 win percentage.

If Buffalo wins on Sunday, their record would be 13-3 which is a .813 win percentage and puts them at the #1 seed and KC at #2.

If Buffalo loses on Sunday, their record would be 12-4 which is a .750 win percentage and puts KC at #1.

If we win on Sunday, our record would be 12-4 which is a .750 win percentage and tied with Buffalo if they lose, but we get #2 seed based on strength of schedule. Buffalo would drop to #3.

If we lose on Sunday, we would be 11-5 and #3 seed. 

2 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

You are correct.

If KC loses Saturday, their record would be 13-4 which is a .765 win percentage.

If Buffalo wins on Sunday, their record would be 13-3 which is a .813 win percentage and puts them at the #1 seed and KC at #2.

If Buffalo loses on Sunday, their record would be 12-4 which is a .750 win percentage and puts KC at #1.

If we win on Sunday, our record would be 12-4 which is a .750 win percentage and tied with Buffalo if they lose, but we get #2 seed based on strength of schedule. Buffalo would drop to #3.

So KC wins the #1 with a win on Sunday if the Buff/Cin game is not played. 

Kind of screws over Buff (and us) based on something that was not their fault. 

I think I like the random number generator option better. 

4 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

So KC wins the #1 with a win on Sunday if the Buff/Cin game is not played. 

Kind of screws over Buff (and us) based on something that was not their fault. 

I think I like the random number generator option better. 

Yup.

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

“Momentum builds…”, according to..?

All said though, it is the easiest—and the cleanest in the anti-Solomon thought pattern—for the league. 

The undisturbed path for their Cash Cow Super Bowl Tournament is all that matters to them. The problems of two franchises in getting on—and winning—that path, are of no consequence to them. 

“Fairness” does not equal ledger bottom lines. 

What has to be concerning for the NFL as they ponder this decision is - what if this happened during a playoff game or at the Super Bowl? That is where the Cash Cow runs smack dab into 'the right thing to do'. 

On 1/3/2023 at 6:52 PM, Gary said:

This is kind of different. A guy died on the field. The players were already traumatized because they literally saw him die. He was brought back to life, but you cannot expect players to just turn it back on when their brother is in the ICU in critical condition. This happened to a team my High School played and they just called the game as a no contest. I wasn't playing that year (was after I graduated) but that's what they did at the high school level. The player ended up dying. 

then they should cancel the season and not just one game.  many sports have had players possibly die on the field or track and then died in the hospital, especially NASCAR and the race went on.  sorry but i disagree, the Bengals are the only team being penalized here as the NFL will continue on with the season.

I feel like depending of the outcomes of this weekends games that the most fair option is to do a weighted random number generator based on winning percentages so that all 3 teams still have a shot at the #1, not dissimilar to what the NBA does with it's draft lotto.

26 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

You are correct.

The NFL front office is penalizing the Bengals by not making a call on the game already.  They are trying to get an out on their decision by waiting for the outcome of this weekend's games.  That is not right or fair for the Bengals.  I knew the NFL would screw the Bengals and nobody cares but, us fans, well, many don't care either.

2 minutes ago, TigerJ@w said:

The NFL front office is penalizing the Bengals by not making a call on the game already.  They are trying to get an out on their decision by waiting for the outcome of this weekend's games.  That is not right or fair for the Bengals.  I knew the NFL would screw the Bengals and nobody cares but, us fans, well, many don't care either.

Agree in theory but as I see it, anything but a Bengals win would be a screw job for us.

And since we were ahead when the game was called, and both teams had had one possession and therefore

equal chances to score a touchdown, I think we should get a W.

JMHO but fairest and tidiest way to put everything right as far as records and slotting going in to the final week of the

season for the playoffs.

But, yeah.  Screw the Bengals.

Excuse the sour grapes but I can't see this happening to Pittsburgh or Dallas or any team Tom Brady plays for.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Agree in theory but as I see it, anything but a Bengals win would be a screw job for us.

And since we were ahead when the game was called, and both teams had had one possession and therefore

equal chances to score a touchdown, I think we should get a W.

JMHO but fairest and tidiest way to put everything right as far as records and slotting going in to the final week of the

season for the playoffs.

But, yeah.  Screw the Bengals.

Excuse the sour grapes but I can't see this happening to Pittsburgh or Dallas or any team Tom Brady plays for.

oh i agree with you and that is why Buffalo should forfeit.  That is why I said the Bengals are being screwed no matter what.  Meaning, if the Bengals win this weekend, they win the AFC North and if both KC and Buffalo do the same, then it is over with seeding for the three.  The game does not matter to be played against Buffalo or am I missing something here?  I know many have written on this on this thread but, it is too many scenarios going on.  I am just looking at what would happen if all three teams win and that is it.  If any of the teams lose, then the Bengals are even screwed over more in so many scenarios.

13 minutes ago, TigerJ@w said:

oh i agree with you and that is why Buffalo should forfeit.  That is why I said the Bengals are being screwed no matter what.  Meaning, if the Bengals win this weekend, they win the AFC North and if both KC and Buffalo do the same, then it is over with seeding for the three.  The game does not matter to be played against Buffalo or am I missing something here?  I know many have written on this on this thread but, it is too many scenarios going on.  I am just looking at what would happen if all three teams win and that is it.  If any of the teams lose, then the Bengals are even screwed over more in so many scenarios.

If all 3 win, it doesn't matter, the highest we could get is the 2. That would be the case if we won the Buff game as well. 

If all 3 win the Bills would get screwed out of the 1. 

Where it matters is if the Chiefs lose. 

Then you have the potential where all 3 teams could have ended up tied and we would have gotten the 1 at that point.

4 hours ago, saphead said:

Maybe I've missed it, and maybe he's shown his face, but I only have 1 question. And it doubles as a poem. 

Where the hell...

Is Rodger Goodell? 

Under the biggest, dampest rock available. Try turning them over or kicking piles of deadwood until something slithers out and starts making noises that sound like "integrity" or "the shield". There's your guy.

10 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

If all 3 win, it doesn't matter, the highest we could get is the 2. That would be the case if we won the Buff game as well. 

If all 3 win the Bills would get screwed out of the 1. 

Where it matters is if the Chiefs lose. 

Then you have the potential where all 3 teams could have ended up tied and we would have gotten the 1 at that point.

That is right and the Bengals are screwed in your number 1.  That is what I meant.  I couldn't care less about the Bills because the Bengals did not have an injury.  If we had beat the Bills, then they wouldn't have been screwed out of anything.  The Dominoes fall on us with this situation.  

2 minutes ago, TigerJ@w said:

That is right and the Bengals are screwed in your number 1.  That is what I meant.  I couldn't care less about the Bills because the Bengals did not have an injury.  If we had beat the Bills, then they wouldn't have been screwed out of anything.  The Dominoes fall on us with this situation.  

This is where your human side wins out over your football fan side and you just realize that it’s a shitty situation overall and someone will get screwed potentially. Ultimately it’s just football, a game. Entertainment. A production if you will. 

I would imagine the NFL will try to figure out the most feasible and equitable solution. Let’s at least give them time to figure something out before we allow our blood pressure to rise from speculation. 

I think getting rid of the bye week between conference championships to Super Bowl seems to make the most sense. But we don’t know what goes into these things so again, just wait and see at this point. 

7 minutes ago, TigerJ@w said:

I'm not sure how that screws us, if the Cheifs win on Saturday there would be zero chance we could get the one seed, even if we beat the Bills.

9 minutes ago, IKOTA said:

This is where your human side wins out over your football fan side and you just realize that it’s a shitty situation overall and someone will get screwed potentially. Ultimately it’s just football, a game. Entertainment. A production if you will. 

I would imagine the NFL will try to figure out the most feasible and equitable solution. Let’s at least give them time to figure something out before we allow our blood pressure to rise from speculation. 

I think getting rid of the bye week between conference championships to Super Bowl seems to make the most sense. But we don’t know what goes into these things so again, just wait and see at this point. 

the point here is that they are waiting to see the outcome of this coming weekend to make a decision that is the main point of the matter.  it is scapegoat for the NFL front office.  Anyone can make a decision after the fact.  Many things happen to people in this world and the world does not stop in many sports or in life.  Like you said, it is just a game, well, then cancel the whole season if it is just a game, right.  Don't worry about my blood pressure, I am good.  I can manage myself, thanks though.

Archived