Rats @ Bengals part duex - gameday thread

1 hour ago, HavePityPlease said:

Well, I knew this game would be horrible to watch, wouldn't feel like a win even if we did win, and I expected to lose tbh because of EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED.

The refs/league did their best to job us on this one.  If not for the horrible play of Anthony Brown and his receivers plus our defense making the plays when it mattered, we absolutely would have lost this game to a bunch of scrubs.

First, what we did "wrong" (as others have said):

- Joe was off.

- Tee and Ja'marr were somewhat off.

- Couldn't run the ball (and barely tried, as usual)

Now let's list off the list of screw jobs, more than I actually expected.

- Tyler Boyd hammered on an overthrow, easy "defenseless receiver" call, nothing.  (I don't really like that rule but it's there so you don't get injuries.. but only if you actually call it).

- Boyd gets the double headshot that puts him in protocol the rest of the game.  Nothing.

- Complete bullshit roughing the passer on Hendrickson on third down, ends up in 7 points for Ravens (holding was horrendous all day by Ravens OL, especially on this resulting drive).

- Extremely obvious facemask on Joe isn't called (even the announcers had to admit it), he fumbles it right after at the 10, defense steps up and only allows 3.  That's now 10 gifted by the refs.

- Ja'Marr's helmet almost ripped off by the facemask, nothing.

- Tee hit WORSE than Boyd was when defenseless, you could actually call it old-school spearing, NOTHING.

- Jonah gets obvious hands to the face, right up in the mask, ends up in Joe getting sacked and piled on by two guys.  Nothing.

- Ravens player CLEARLY offside on 4th and 5 punt, you could hear someone on Bengals sideline screaming offside on the TV feed... nothing.

- On Watkins' catch the he eventually fumbled, he two-hand pushed I think it was Taylor-Britt away so he could make the catch (Antonio Brown style).

- Carman pulled by the back of his helmet into the Ravens bench where he's basically gang raped - nothing.

- On the first play of the last drive the Ravens tried a crack-back, double team hit in the back on Hendrickson.  I believe the only purpose of this was to injure him.  Nothing.

A couple of other observations:

- I know people can't be happy with the 2nd half performance by the offense, but I got the sense they actually dialed things back to save something for the playoff game, in which I do believe we're now guaranteed to play the Ravens yet again?

- The Ravens were indeed trying to injure Bengals players all day.  Ja'marr was a key target, on many catches guys went after his head and started twisting/pulling;  Hendrickson had his eyes gouged at by Stanley a couple times as the play was ending/Hendrickson was running away from him toward the play; I would not be surprised if Cappa's injury was done as an "oopsie" by the player who fell on him.

So I think the Ravens rested players because they both knew they only really had a coin-flip's chance of playing at home, but also because they knew the league/refs would help them in this game.  They had no business being in it at all, but they still had a chance despite the abysmal play of their offense.  Cappa getting injured is EXACTLY what I hated most about the league taking the actual division crown away from us artificially, we should have had more backups in today.

Tyler Boyd was not in protocol the rest of the game. He came back in

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/bengals-tyler-boyd-back-in-sundays-game/

Hendrickson's roughing the passer penalty was BS but it was irrelevant to the game. The Bengals' secondary was guilty of a personal foul facemask penalty that would have been enforced otherwise

Bengals did not "execute" very well. They dropped passes. They overthrew open receivers. They left a lot of plays on the field

2 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/bengals-tyler-boyd-back-in-sundays-game/

Hendrickson's roughing the passer penalty was BS but it was irrelevant to the game. The Bengals' secondary was guilty of a personal foul facemask penalty that would have been enforced otherwise

Bengals did not "execute" very well. They dropped passes. They overthrew open receivers. They left a lot of plays on the field

And on one of the passes to Chase that got broken up in the end zone, a Raven not even involved in the play came down and shoved Chase after the play was over. No call.

3 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

So I think the Ravens rested players because they both knew they only really had a coin-flip's chance of playing at home, but also because they knew the league/refs would help them in this game.  

No question all they had to play for was a 50/50 chance of being handed an unearned home game. Would not surprise me in the least if their game plan was to "rough up" (cough cough intentionallytrytoinjurepeople cough) the Bengals and hope their RB1 is back next week at QB.

Playing backups on the right side of the OL is not good. If we miss out on another championship because the OL still sucks I'm going to be a salty mf.

Just returned from CIN. 

Nice day…always a good one with my brother Amish. 

Recognized right away that the Rats weren’t going to play any of their real front-liners—although they did use a few more on defense than I thought they would. Young Brown was awful the first half—was seeing at one point he had a 12 passer rating. He got better a bit in the second half, but still wasn’t great. 

I was concerned that the Bengals had to use all front-liners in order to assure of no fluke loss resulting in coin toss. They dodged bullets until Cappa—and that is a massive loss. When the Rats are full-staffed and rested, the Bengals are going to have their hands full. 

When realizing—after the scores started to finalize— that it was going to be the Rats again next week, sorry I couldn’t help but remember that freezing cold awful night against the NYJ way back when. 

Happy to get the AFCN title “officially”, but still really wary of what comes next. 

On a side note, it is really interesting sitting around our part of Section 104. Around us are many of the players’ families (all easily detectable by the jerseys they wear. The Chrisman clan was right near us today—great folks. I got to talking to Pa Chrisman. I was remarking that his lad is beginning to be able to dot the corners. He said “yeah, but he can do better”. Surprised, I asked him if he has reached his ceiling? The reply was “not even close”. Insider info. 

The usual late middle-age drunks were about also. One guy must have had 200 of those little flight bottles of Fireball. Handing them out freely, and consuming freely. They were totally trashed by halftime, and ended up being challenged by a very cute and much younger gal…who polished off about six of those bottles in 60 seconds, and then mic dropped them with uproarious laughter from all. 

Nothing like the live NFL football fan experience. Lol. 

3 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

The announcers/on field people said he "continues to be checked throughout the game" after he'd already come back in.

Continues to be checked is not the same as being in protocol. He wouldn't have been cleared to return if he showed any signs of a concussion; lucky for us

6 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

Continues to be checked is not the same as being in protocol. He wouldn't have been cleared to return if he showed any signs of a concussion; lucky for us

Put a label on it, don't put a label on it, the point is it was an ongoing issue the rest of the game with no call - who cares if it's official or not.

22 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Just returned from CIN. 

Nice day…always a good one with my brother Amish. 

Recognized right away that the Rats weren’t going to play any of their real front-liners—although they did use a few more on defense than I thought they would. Young Brown was awful the first half—was seeing at one point he had a 12 passer rating. He got better a bit in the second half, but still wasn’t great. 

I was concerned that the Bengals had to use all front-liners in order to assure of no fluke loss resulting in coin toss. They dodged bullets until Cappa—and that is a massive loss. When the Rats are full-staffed and rested, the Bengals are going to have their hands full. 

When realizing—after the scores started to finalize— that it was going to be the Rats again next week, sorry I couldn’t help but remember that freezing cold awful night against the NYJ way back when. 

Happy to get the AFCN title “officially”, but still really wary of what comes next. 

On a side note, it is really interesting sitting around our part of Section 104. Around us are many of the players’ families (all easily detectable by the jerseys they wear. The Chrisman clan was right near us today—great folks. I got to talking to Pa Chrisman. I was remarking that his lad is beginning to be able to dot the corners. He said “yeah, but he can do better”. Surprised, I asked him if he has reached his ceiling? The reply was “not even close”. Insider info. 

The usual late middle-age drunks were about also. One guy must have had 200 of those little flight bottles of Fireball. Handing them out freely, and consuming freely. They were totally trashed by halftime, and ended up being challenged by a very cute and much younger gal…who polished off about six of those bottles in 60 seconds, and then mic dropped them with uproarious laughter from all. 

Nothing like the live NFL football fan experience. Lol. 

The bengals lost 37 to 0 to the jets the week before the playoff 24 to 14 loss of which missed two makeable fgs and that day Palmer was awful this is a different team with a different much more accurate qb

3 minutes ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

The bengals lost 37 to 0 to the jets the week before the playoff 24 to 14 loss of which missed two makeable fgs and that day Palmer was awful this is a different team with a different much more accurate qb

Agreed, and let's be honest and also point out the most glaring difference:  this was simply the consistent and signature playoff posture of all Marvin Lewis teams.

7 minutes ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

Shayne Graham missed those fgs

yeah pretty sure Garbage Graham got the Brewer that day and I’m sure some dumb fan came to the Insiders board to complain about it 

Benson went crazy that game but Plamer shit the bed throwing 2 picks. Defense made Sanchez look great and couldn’t cover the tight end 

2 minutes ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

I was there that night. Other than Ced, they were all dead in the water. I never wanted to hear the name Lavernaues Coles ever again. 

Different team now, yes. But facing the same team in less than a week—but now rested and near full-strength—is going to be a lot tougher. Lots. 

4 minutes ago, tibor75 said:

yeah pretty sure Garbage Graham got the Brewer that day and I’m sure some dumb fan came to the Insiders board to complain about it 

Benson went crazy that game but Plamer shit the bed throwing 2 picks. Defense made Sanchez look great and couldn’t cover the tight end 

That Benson performance was one of the most inspiring things I've ever seen as a Bengal fan.  Too bad it wasn't so for the other players on the team.

3 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

Execution was off today yes..

Great teams overcome and win..

They are and did..

53 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

I was there that night. Other than Ced, they were all dead in the water. I never wanted to hear the name Lavernaues Coles ever again. 

Different team now, yes. But facing the same team in less than a week—but now rested and near full-strength—is going to be a lot tougher. Lots. 

Maybe.  Lemur may still be hot garbage 

1 minute ago, tibor75 said:

Maybe.  Lemur may still be hot garbage 

Said it before but these run-first QBs are back in vogue because defenders are afraid to hit them. I'd gotten used to every other incomplete deep pass being a penalty & now I've come to expect it from every other sack (depending on the QB).

Not that hard to be a running threat if people aren't allowed to tackle you like a RB.

1 hour ago, HavePityPlease said:

Put a label on it, don't put a label on it, the point is it was an ongoing issue the rest of the game with no call - who cares if it's official or not.

As Bengal fans, it's nice that he seems to be fine. That's all we care about

Archived