Joe's next contract

Not to be pessimistic on him...Joe B. is the one that matters. I have no issues with Mixon but he cannot shine without better play on the line. He certainly is a talented enough RB. In the future, I would like them to bring in or draft a faster Dobbins type to pair with him in a 2 back set. Perine has done fine in his role spelling Mixon as single back but not quite quick enough. Certainly tough enough. Not sure when Perine's contract is up? I do not see any position to break the bank on except Lineman, WR and Joe at this point. Mixon is worth the money but not at the cost of other positions. Traditionally, great passing offenses can plug just about anyone in at RB when you pass 75% of the time. His potential is very high but only 1 game this season has been moneyball for him

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, palmer4mvp said:

After the SB run in my estimation. I may be wearing rose colored glasses but I really think Joe/Tee/Jamar will take deals to keep the team together as much as possible. They know that winning multiple championships is worth more than a few extra million dollars.

I like the way you think and wear the same rose colored glasses as far as keeping Joe, Ja'Marr (who I think will be kept) but would love to see Tee, too.

Maybe mention that the extra millions could be made up by playoff games.  And endorsements which they are less likely to get on meh teams.

• Upvote 2

My guess is the team exercises his 5th year option this spring and they do a new contract after the 2023 season. That would allow the team to keep more free agents with Burrow on his rookie deal instead of 40-50 mil. The team will give Burrow whatever he wants but I don't think he's in a hurry. He's worth 50 mil per year but I could see him taking well less than that in return for a higher guaranteed % of the total. Or perhaps taking a % of the cap deal. 

In effect Burrow is the Bengals cap manager for the next few seasons. The team will give him what he wants and cut or pass on other players to make Joe happy. My guess is Joe will prefer to have a better team around him than maximizing his own financial gain. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, palmer4mvp said:

Lots of big names to extend or reup contracts with. If Joe B is the first domino to fall and takes a team friendly deal I think others will follow suit. Would love to see Pratt and Bell do the same because they don’t want to leave

I think Bell and Hurst should be easy to re-sign with modest raises. Pratt will at least shop around. I'd guess Mixon and Boyd might be going into their last year with the team in 2023.

• Upvote 1

In a perfect world, all the guys take a discount to stay here. But I doubt that actually happens because it is so rare. Assuming guys generally sign market contracts we need to prioritize Burrow and Chase (obviously). Then I see us extending 2 (maybe 3) of Tee, Jonah, DJ, awuzie, and Wilson of the big name players up in next two years. I’d assume Boyd and Mixon are gone. 

I love Tee, but I think the Bengals should consider trading him in the off-season if the can get the haul other teams have gotten for top wr (aj brown went for #18 pick and a third). No way the salary cap will give us room to pay a top qb and 2 top wr market rates. Reload with some in inexpensive high draft picks to keep the run going. 

• Upvote 1

I've thought about how to keep this team together way more often than I'd like to admit, and here's what I came up with.

You have to spend money on the offense and go with heavy defensive drafts.  Here's my logic.  You HAVE to keep Joe, Ja'marr and Tee together.  You also have to have at least an average offensive line.  RBs are a dime a dozen and you can find serviceable TEs and slot receivers.  With that being said, you let Mixon's contract expire, same for TB (though I'd hate for him to leave).  You pay the big 3 market value (ouch) and try to find a bargain TE (Hurst?).  You also look in FA for o-line talent and depth.  

As for the defense...you have to find an edge rusher and a 3tech.  Hendrickson and BJ are good enough.  DJ is a luxury, and would be almost impossible to replace.  I don't think it's possible to pay one maybe two defenders, but if you do I think it has to be on the d line.  Gotta be able to get pressure and derail drives with a sack or TFL.  I think you can have a good defense if you've got a fast, smart and disciplined team....kind of what we have now.  

As for the draft you lean defense to keep it young, fast and cheap and hope you hit on a few of them over the years.  If there's a can't miss OL or TE, you draft them.

Just my $0.02...Duke, I'm coming for your job!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, palmer4mvp said:

Lots of big names to extend or reup contracts with. If Joe B is the first domino to fall and takes a team friendly deal I think others will follow suit. Would love to see Pratt and Bell do the same because they don’t want to leave

Team friendly deal may be to sign JB to 

whatever and have it deferred into the future like Brady did with NE..

Resign Wilson ..resign Higgins.

Mixon goes..Pratt goes..Bates goes.

Capoligists will make it work..

• Upvote 1

I think you have to keep Joe and Jamar. I would love to keep Tee, but I also recognize he may want to be a #1, and I also would suggest that the draft is turning out good WRs fairly consistently these days. I want to keep Tee, but do not thing Tee can't be replaced either.

That said I think this offseason we keep Joe, Von, Hurst, and maybe Apple. Next offseason we keep Wilson and hopefully Tee, then we talk Jamar.

What this team is going to have to start being sure we are good at is drafting towards the bottom of the draft. It's easier to get good guys in the top 10, but we are not going to be in the top 10 for a very long time now. 

If the Bengals are serious about drafting that may mean we need to expand our scouting department.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, sparky151 said:

My guess is the team exercises his 5th year option this spring and they do a new contract after the 2023 season. That would allow the team to keep more free agents with Burrow on his rookie deal instead of 40-50 mil. The team will give Burrow whatever he wants but I don't think he's in a hurry. He's worth 50 mil per year but I could see him taking well less than that in return for a higher guaranteed % of the total. Or perhaps taking a % of the cap deal. 

In effect Burrow is the Bengals cap manager for the next few seasons. The team will give him what he wants and cut or pass on other players to make Joe happy. My guess is Joe will prefer to have a better team around him than maximizing his own financial gain. 

9 mil next year as opposed to 50mil per?

Im guessing they dont even embarrass themselves approaching him with that idea.

• Upvote 1