Joe's next contract

26 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Burrow's 5th year option price will be about 3 mil higher if he makes the original probowl roster for 2023. 

So thats a gimme.

His contract may be surrounding freeup money for Tee..

Their capoligist will figure it out to retain both longterm imo..

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Mike Florio and Chris Simms discuss Burrow's next deal

Cap % would work out for team and JB but like they said maybe Tee an J'marr want per percentages as well..

Could lead to more players wanting it and ultimately there's no % for the bottom tier guys..

I don't see a reason why he doesn't sign a lucrative deal and have money deferred to keep Tee snd others next year.

So many players leave after 2023-2024 salary is allmost assured..gat Chase.

On 5/23/2023 at 6:58 PM, BlackJesus said:

Mike Florio and Chris Simms discuss Burrow's next deal

Joe allways Cool with the media .

They must love this guy for an articles

they write..

He handles every aspect of an elite player so smoothly..

Joe Cool...😎

• Upvote 1

I have a hunch that Burrow wants Tee to sign first

That way he can't be accused of being the reason the team loses Tee if he signed first and then Tee didn't.

Plus resigning Tee also shows the organizational commitment to win Super Bowls that I'm sure he wants to see before committing long-term. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree.  Another (of the many) plus to Joe Burrow is he is very committed to the team... and his friends and the community.

How could anyone not like the guy?  From here and Bengals fans elsewhere, of course.

This thread is as good a place to post this as any but I was going to comment that earlier there was talk

something about cutting a player after June 1 freed up more cap money.  That was pooh-poohed by someone,

somehow and kind of died.  I don't know.

Next week is June 1.

Could cutting someone like Joe Sixgun (I know... I know... I've read it, too) and L'Eel Collins, some other dead wood,

free up more $$ for Tee, Logan and Joe after they are under extensions?

• Upvote 1

The money saved from cutting deadwood can be carried into future seasons. Cutting Mixon probably isn't needed for the Burrow extension, at least as the team planned it. It would perhaps help the Higgins deal get done sooner. But it would definitely help with extensions for Wilson, ADG, Bailey, Awuzie, Reader, Boyd or any other 2024 free agent they want to keep. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I agree.  Another (of the many) plus to Joe Burrow is he is very committed to the team... and his friends and the community.

How could anyone not like the guy?  From here and Bengals fans elsewhere, of course.

This thread is as good a place to post this as any but I was going to comment that earlier there was talk

something about cutting a player after June 1 freed up more cap money.  That was pooh-poohed by someone,

somehow and kind of died.  I don't know.

Next week is June 1.

Could cutting someone like Joe Sixgun (I know... I know... I've read it, too) and L'Eel Collins, some other dead wood,

free up more $$ for Tee, Logan and Joe after they are under extensions?

Collins is the only guy on the roster with a proven ability to play RT. Obviously I'm not thrilled by that either but it's the reality of the situation they've created.  He's the insurance policy if Carman or Jonah aren't suddenly transformed into quality starters by moving to a new & unfamiliar position. Great plan, right?

Likewise Joe Sixgun.  They've left themselves with no other options beyond career backups and a 5th round rookie. 

Maybe that all works out. Maybe the Rooney family will issue a public apology for encouraging their players to injure opponents.

Even if someone does make Collins and/or Mixon expendable that's not going to happen before training camp. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/26/2023 at 11:00 AM, BlackJesus said:

I have a hunch that Burrow wants Tee to sign first

That way he can't be accused of being the reason the team loses Tee if he signed first and then Tee didn't.

Plus resigning Tee also shows the organizational commitment to win Super Bowls that I'm sure he wants to see before committing long-term. 

I think you may be right about Burrow wanting Higgins to sign first. That might be even more obvious now than it was back in May. Feels like Burrow is just sitting back and waiting for the organization to fit the other two young core players from the 2020 draft. The Bengals are very quiet with the state of contract talks, but they seem laser-focused on making sure they get extension deals with all three. 

Kyle Williams, the Bengals communication coordinator, wrote the Wilson extension article on Bengals.com and subtly confirmed that fact. They want not just one, not just two, but all three. This particular paragraph can be revealing as to the organization's intent if you read it carefully.

Wilson has proven to be one of the best linebackers in the league since being drafted in 2020 as part of a dynamic Bengals class featuring Joe Burrow and Tee Higgins. Wilson is the first major piece of that puzzle to find itself slotted in place, and his production along with his irreplaceable role as the heartbeat of Cincinnati's defense validates it.

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

We are probably overthinking it.  It's probably about up front money.  The Bengals know they are going to have to pay it, but how much is likely the issue.

If the Burrow contract terms were a huge point of contention here, I don't think the Bengals sign Logan Wilson first. Wilson is an excellent player, but in the priority pecking order nothing has changed since the 2020 draft when Burrow went in the 1st, Higgins in the 2nd, Wilson in the third. Maybe it will all come out when Burrow finally signs, but I feel like a basic maximum deal for Burrow is already basically in place. Maybe each time the Bengals extend a key player - like Hendrickson/Wilson/Higgins - that is just a little less that Burrow will get in his own deal when he finally signs on the dotted line.

Even though the Bengals front office and Burrow's camp have a deal not to talk about his contract talks in the media, Joe has been the one to bend that rule more than once. Earlier in the summer Burrow admitted that he was very involved in the talks rather than letting his agent control everything. This is what Burrow told Field Yates just a couple of weeks ago about how his own extension might affect other key players. 

“Our front office has done a great job of that the past couple of years of putting us in the best position to succeed the way that we have,” Burrow stated. “So we’ll see where it goes, but I’m confident that we’ll be able to keep everybody.”