Joe's next contract

1 hour ago, Shebengal said:

Wonder how that will affect the Lamar Jackson negotiations. 

It's been reported that the Ravens offered him a similar deal with more in guarantees and he turned it down, he's looking for a fully guaranteed deal..which the owner of the Ravens has been very publicly vocal about not giving anyone a deal like that..he even openly bashed the Browns owners for doing so. 

It's a game of chicken, and Lamar will lose leverage if the Ravens trade up and draft Anthony Richardson. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

It's been reported that the Ravens offered him a similar deal with more in guarantees and he turned it down, he's looking for a fully guaranteed deal..which the owner of the Ravens has been very publicly vocal about not giving anyone a deal like that..he even openly bashed the Browns owners for doing so. 

It's a game of chicken, and Lamar will lose leverage if the Ravens trade up and draft Anthony Richardson. 

Not much of a game anymore since NO team offerred him a contrcat while he was shopping himself. He has little leverage. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Not much of a game anymore since NO team offerred him a contrcat while he was shopping himself. He has little leverage. 

He can still hold out, if Baltimore doesn't have a better option on the roster they will have to do something. Also, remember that no team offered him a deal because they would have to give up 2 first-round picks as well as give him a huge contract, if he were a true free agent he probably would have gotten more offers. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, PatternMaster said:

He can still hold out, if Baltimore doesn't have a better option on the roster they will have to do something. Also, remember that no team offered him a deal because they would have to give up 2 first-round picks as well as give him a huge contract, if he were a true free agent he probably would have gotten more offers. 

Is Huntley still with the Ravens? By no means am I saying he's comparable to Lamar but he did keep the team somewhat afloat in his absence. Only 25 too.

10 minutes ago, Griever said:

Is Huntley still with the Ravens? By no means am I saying he's comparable to Lamar but he did keep the team somewhat afloat in his absence. Only 25 too.

Yes, he's still on the roster and you're right he's not a bad option but I wonder how he will perform over a 17-game schedule when defenses have more tape of works well against him. Lamar is definitely fumbling the bag and should hire an agent. If he wants the Watson deal, then get the same agent as Watson because he has proven he's able to get deals like that done....it only makes sense. 

Interestingly enough Huntley is on a 1-year deal as well, so he's not going to be a cheap option in the future if they can't deal with Lamar in the future

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Hurts still had a year left on his $4M deal so the signing bonus now gets spread over 6 years (and not the 5 length of the extension), so it sperads out more of that. 

Overall, Burrow and Hebert will be in the same ballpark and that will leave Monmmy's boy to bow his head and head back to the Cravens. 

For what it's worth, signing bonuses can only be prorated over 5 years, even if the contract is longer. On a deal like Mahomes, there will be multiple bonuses, guaranteed at signing but not paid until several years later to take advantage of the prorating over the course of the deal.

30 minutes ago, Griever said:

That's pro bowl QB Tyler Huntley to us. Hilariously, he was chosen as the 3rd alternate QB for the probowl, ahead of Tua and Trevor.

24 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Yes, he's still on the roster and you're right he's not a bad option but I wonder how he will perform over a 17-game schedule when defenses have more tape of works well against him. Lamar is definitely fumbling the bag and should hire an agent. If he wants the Watson deal, then get the same agent as Watson because he has proven he's able to get deals like that done....it only makes sense. 

Interestingly enough Huntley is on a 1-year deal as well, so he's not going to be a cheap option in the future if they can't deal with Lamar in the future

Huntley is a restricted free agent. They almost never get outside offers so he'll be back but I don't think he's signed yet.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

For what it's worth, signing bonuses can only be prorated over 5 years, even if the contract is longer. On a deal like Mahomes, there will be multiple bonuses, guaranteed at signing but not paid until several years later to take advantage of the prorating over the course of the deal.

That's pro bowl QB Tyler Huntley to us. Hilariously, he was chosen as the 3rd alternate QB for the probowl, ahead of Tua and Trevor.

Huntley is a restricted free agent. They almost never get outside offers so he'll be back but I don't think he's signed yet.

He signed for 2.6 million, which is more than he's made his entire career so far. I wouldn't be surprised if he's starts for the season as I don't see either Lamar or the Ravens giving in on this one. I think Lamar sits the season out, becomes a free agent and gets a deal he wants from some desperate team like the Vikings or Commanders. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Hurts still had a year left on his $4M deal so the signing bonus now gets spread over 6 years (and not the 5 length of the extension), so it sperads out more of that. 

Overall, Burrow and Hebert will be in the same ballpark and that will leave Monmmy's boy to bow his head and head back to the Cravens. 

Joe has two yrs left on his deal (one + the option) so that'll give the Bengals some room to taylor a good deal. They all know that the trick is to do it in a way that doesn't gut the rest of the team. This is something Tom Brady understood but Aaron Rodgers didn't

• Upvote 1

I think it's risky for the Eagles to give that much guaranteed to a QB who relies on running the ball alot to keep the defense honest. 

But at least he's more durable than Lamar and seems to have a way better work ethic as well. 

Bengals should try and sign Burrow before Herbert does, as every new deal just gets more expensive

• Upvote 1

Hurts was already under contract for 2023 on his rookie deal. The new contract tacked 5 years on to that. If those numbers from Shefter are right, it's massively backloaded. It looks like they dropped his salary for this year from 4 mil to the minimum, as he got a 24 mil signing bonus. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Hurts was already under contract for 2023 on his rookie deal. The new contract tacked 5 years on to that. If those numbers from Shefter are right, it's massively backloaded. It looks like they dropped his salary for this year from 4 mil to the minimum, as he got a 24 mil signing bonus. 

Backloading makes sense when you consider how much the cap is expected to rise in the next few years. Plus the Eagles could also re-jig the contract in a few yeras to kicks the can even further. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Backloading makes sense when you consider how much the cap is expected to rise in the next few years. Plus the Eagles could also re-jig the contract in a few yeras to kicks the can even further. 

It looks like 180 mil in the last 2 years. They'll probably add some void years to spread it out further, even if Hurts gets hurt and doesn't keep ascending. 

• Upvote 1